Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Your thoughts on this crazy labor situation

I dont go to the main NBA forum.I just want to see you guys thoughts on the labor situation including any suggestions or remedies.Heres a few of mine.

1.I like the guaranteed contract and rookie scale for the 1st round players of the draft.However,I'd like see that extended to 2nd round players.I propose that a 2nd round player get a 1 year guaranteed deal at a fixed amount.So many players that get thrown by the waste side,even if theyre good.Its to the point where it's better to go undrafted than be selected in the 2nd round.

2.International players cannot enter the draft until they have found a remedy to get out of their contracts overseas.In other words,if you can't play in the upcoming year,you can't enter the draft.I think it's a double standard that HSers can't enter anymore but they'll allow a foreign guy to be drafted who may never play one game.Even the HSers that failed @ least showed up.I'm STILL waiting for Frederick Weis to suit up lmao.

3.There still will be a luxury tax and soft cap BUT if you go over it,instead of paying dollar for dollar,you have to pay the league double that players contract.That money would then go to a revenue shared pot to help the teams losing money.

4.Every team will have a mid-level exemption of 5mill that excludes a player's salary from being counted toward your cap BUT to use it you have to give the 50% or 2.5 mill to the revenue shared pot I discussed before.

5.Franchise Tags
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Your thoughts on this crazy labor situation

Quote:
2.International players cannot enter the draft until they have found a remedy to get out of their contracts overseas.In other words,if you can't play in the upcoming year,you can't enter the draft.I think it's a double standard that HSers can't enter anymore but they'll allow a foreign guy to be drafted who may never play one game.Even the HSers that failed @ least showed up.I'm STILL waiting for Frederick Weis to suit up lmao.
I like this idea.If you want to be drafted then be available for the next season.
There are many players that got drafted but never came into the NBA because they get playing time and nice money overseas.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Franchise tags will never happen. However this amnestiy clause or the Eddy Curry clause as I like to call it sounds like a really good idea to me. Gives players extra motivation to work hard and stay healthy and prevents teams from getting so tied up that they reach a point that will take years to turn back from.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Nickel06
Kids at the park dunk on me

Nickel06 has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Re: Your thoughts on this crazy labor situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Franchise tags will never happen. However this amnestiy clause or the Eddy Curry clause as I like to call it sounds like a really good idea to me. Gives players extra motivation to work hard and stay healthy and prevents teams from getting so tied up that they reach a point that will take years to turn back from.

Nickel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Personally I'm not a fan of the guaranteed contract, in the sense of how it is now.

I know that sounds harsh, but like others have said, giving a player who is lazy and refuse to work on their game a guaranteed deal kills a team.

And if said player doesn't like the performance incentive part of a deal and refuse to accept it, someone is gonna give that player a guaranteed deal without those clauses, like we did with Curry.

Not only did Chicago not wanna resign him, they wanted to pay him to leave the game, or take a test to see if he could still play.

But no he refused, and here comes an idiot that not only gets Chicago to sign and trade him to us, which meant more money and years to the deal, we forked over two unprotected picks as well.

Something has to happen to prevent BS deals like that.

Maybe a trade/FA monitor committee or something.

I'm not sure how that would work though, but the system is broke right now.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I feel what you're saying but some responsibility has to be put on the GM. You can't just change the rules to baby GMs.These guys make lots of money too and their bodies don't go thru the physical strain.I dont blame the players for getting the money.Its on the GM's for reaching and trhowing money at guys because they show promise or had a few good seasons.To me,if you have a contract,it must be honored.Period.If you fear a guy may be lazy or unmotivated,put clauses in his contract.End of the day,the Rashad Lewis and Gilbert Arenas contracts that make the NBA look bad and drain teams are as much the GM's fault as the players.In life you have to be resposible with money.It's like an auction.If you keep tryna outbid someone for something, if you win that item;you have to pay for it.That should tell you to bid what you can afford.

Furthermore,the quick fix that would solve the NBA's problems rapidly is contraction.There just are teams that will never be good and do no good for the league i.e. Toronto.It's kinda like legalizing weed.It would boost the economy but no1 wants to be the one to say it lol (ps I dont smoke)
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

True but, who is gonna put that responsibility on that GM?

It won't be the owner, they start to lose money because of what the GM does.

So the reigns that control giving out bad contracts has to come from outside the team.

Take our owner, Dolan could care less how much he has to pay his players.

The Knicks make money whether they are good or awful.

Now of course, someone has been in his ear telling him to get the star players, because stars=more dollars the owner can make.

Which is why Knicks tickets sky-rocketted immediately announced after the Melo signing.

But back on course to me guaranteed contracts is what's killing the league.

They have their +'s, but the -'s out weigh them.

I'd prefer the NFL's system in the NBA.

You want your money......perform every year for it.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I dont agree.Any job where you put your bodies thru physical strain and theres only a 5 year avg career span deserves a guaranteed contract. It's basically the only insurance they get.Bottom line is the avg fans think players are spoiled but the avg fan doesnt realize the negative parts of being an athlete.I work at a desk all day.I have no risk of tearing my knee apart.Plus,if I did,it wouldnt effect my performance too much.I damn sure wouldnt get fired over it.Fans always look at the superstars when they make their opinions.What about the guys who struggle to make teams.I grew up playing against guys like Sundiata Gaines from the Nets and Royal Ivey from the Thunder.They aren't going to make big time money like the NBA's elite.N what if a team overpays for a guy and has a change of heart? Should they just be allowed to throw a guy on the street?The NBA and Owners need to take GMs to task for making foolish decisions and squandering money that isnt theirs. Like I said,if you wanna insure a guy doesnt slack,put performance clauses in the contract.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I just won't agree Franchize. Players who are notorious for getting injured miraculously get healthy in a contract year, ala Carlos Boozer.

His money is fair value for a player of his caliber.

And there no way you get him to sign a stipulated contract.

I can't blame the GM for using the resources given.

People call signing Shard to that big deal was bad.

Yeah the player wasn't worth it, but the guaranteed money system allowed it.

And showing Dwight they were willing to spend was worth it.

After all they made finals right after didn't they?

Now Shard puts up garbage numbers..... there goes his deal.

No one talks about the Mavs overspending either, and now that finally won, I guess it all panned out.

The NFL method keeps a player hungry.

Guaranteed deals with stipulations on it really isn't any better.

The players union would be all over it if top players had stipulated deals.

And while I'm at it, scrap the mid level exception.

I can't think of any player who was actually worth it whole.

Ours surely weren't.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I agree with scrapping the mid level.As for the NFL way,that is exactly why so many NFL players end up with lifelong injuries and no means to pay for them.You ideology seems to only focus on the players making a lot of money.

Either way,if something is in a contract,it should be honored.At what point does the GM have to be a responsible business man?In other words,@ what point does the GM have to take ownership for his decisions and responsibility for his job?

Regardless,this is just one of MANY issues involving the NBA lockout situation. What's your timetable for resolution.Do you think there is any chance we'll have a full season next year?More importantly,do you think this lockout will have any impact on the Knicks (positive or negative)?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I agree with scrapping the mid level.As for the NFL way,that is exactly why so many NFL players end up with lifelong injuries and no means to pay for them.You ideology seems to only focus on the players making a lot of money.

My thinking comes from being in a unionized job, also as a business owner.

NBA players, just like any sport get paid according to what that team thinks they are worth at the time of signing.

But no, if they don't/can't perform to what that GM thought they would, no I don't think they should be locked into it.

As far as me, no matter what title I have at my job, I have a contract that guidelines everything involving my job duties, work rules AND my pay.

I also have businesses in which I do have employees, and they are paid according to what they do for me, which is to make me the most money they can, and they get paid accordingly and I have them sign an agreement as well.

I've had to release employees who can't make my quota, but it's a process to get there, it doesn't happen by one missed deal.

But the NBA is totally different..the players actually have two contractual agreements and the CBA dictates both.

Quote:
Either way,if something is in a contract,it should be honored.At what point does the GM have to be a responsible business man?In other words,@ what point does the GM have to take ownership for his decisions and responsibility for his job?

That's where I think the league should have more enforcement into the dealings of teams and their payrolls.

For the record I am for a hard cap, not as low as the 45 mil, more like 70mil.

Build you team accordingly, just don't go over.

Of course the league has to approve any deal anyway, so that should never happen.

Quote:
Regardless,this is just one of MANY issues involving the NBA lockout situation. What's your timetable for resolution.Do you think there is any chance we'll have a full season next year?More importantly,do you think this lockout will have any impact on the Knicks (positive or negative)?
Personally unless the players blink, I don't see this ending soon.

Honestly, I really don't think there will be a season.

I think this is much worse than the 98-99 season lockout.

The owners want alot, and I think they will get quite a bit of it.

Mainly those guaranteed contracts giving the owners more power to void them.

There will be no more Eddy Curry's, thank goodness.

I am 100% in favor of advertisements on uniforms, but only player endorsements, in which league and player receives pay from them.

Not that Foxwood's NY Liberty shit.

And they need to go ahead with contraction.

Raptors, Clippers, Bobcats, Hornets, Bucks, Kings..... do we really need these teams?

As far as the Knicks go.. I think this will be a blessing in disguise......

1)We won't be a contender anyway.

2)We would have full pickings on that third star, at a reduced rate.

3)Our guys can get much needed rest

4)Don't have to think about whether to keep D'antoni or not.

The only negative for us would be if the new agreement pay scale is so low that our targeted free agents stay put to get that last year on their deals.

I would hate not see NBA games, but our team probably would benefit the most from not having a season at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Im for being able to void contracts if a guy is injured and isn't playing.If players want insurance for injuries,they should be negotiate a better signing bonus.I don't however agree that a player should be penalized because he isn't the player a GM hoped he'd be.Most of them don't pay players based o what they're worth.They pay based on the market value for the player.They try to outbid other teams.That's their fault.Not the player's.That's essentially asking the player to turn down money being thrown at them. Besides, sometimes player's success is based on factors beyond their control like other players and coaches.Marbury came to camp his last year with us in the best shape he's ever been and didn't get to play.Should his contract be voided cuz of an A-hole coach?No! Players should however have to meet certain physical landmarks every season like football.You dont pass certain test....you get fined or benched w/o pay.I bet every1 would come in shape then.

Quote:
For the record I am for a hard cap, not as low as the 45 mil, more like 70mil.

I agree.I have no problems doing away with the exceptions and loopholes IF you raise the cap.You can't get rid of them AND lower the cap.Every team will be getting rid of quality players just to fit under the cap.That's not good for the league.I think 70 mil is a good number also.You can sign 2 max players and some decent role players with that or 3 guys @ 20 mil and have about 10to fill the roster.

Quote:
I am 100% in favor of advertisements on uniforms, but only player endorsements, in which league and player receives pay from them.

Not that Foxwood's NY Liberty shit.

I'm not sure what you mean by your 1st sentence so I won't comment but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the ads on the uniforms in the WNBA.I think it's embarassing and shameful.Sports still are very much a bridge from parents to child.Let's leave some of it sacred.I grew up loving to discuss the designs on jerseys.The jersey's beauty is to rep the team and the city.Nothing worse than seeing a big company logo replacing the spot where it used to say Knicks.It's bad enough all of the sports stadiums are named after companies now.This isn't Europe.I don't wanna see the NY Viagras play.I wanna see the F-in Knicks lol Now with that said,I dont get why the league made every team use Adidas.I think the teams should be allowed to use whatever company they want as long as the jersey doesn't create a competitive advantage/disadvantage.That way,the owners can sell to the highest bidder. Also if any of you guys have worked sales or retail (as I have in the past), the league should make it mandatory that your jerseys manufacturing logo can only be but so big.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Marbury fulfilled his obligation, he should get paid regardless if the coach don't play him.

Kinda like Dantoni screwed Nate out a bonus involving games and minutes played, before he got traded to Boston.

His last year with us had stipulations on it, but when got all those dnp's, he lost out on money.

I didn't think that was fair.

Now, what I mean by player endorsements is...

Like Melo has a boost mobile deal.

I have no issues with their logo being on the jersey.

Boost Mobile pays Melo and they league for that advertising, in that way.

KD could have Gatorade, LeBron...tampax.

Now I'm not talking about removing the team name.

IMO, the league is gonna change, whatever it takes to being basketball back, both sides be looking for it.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

lmao @ LeBron...tampax I literally laughed out loud @ work. I had to look around and make sure no1 heard me
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by your 1st sentence so I won't comment but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the ads on the uniforms in the WNBA.I think it's embarassing and shameful.Sports still are very much a bridge from parents to child.Let's leave some of it sacred.I grew up loving to discuss the designs on jerseys.The jersey's beauty is to rep the team and the city.Nothing worse than seeing a big company logo replacing the spot where it used to say Knicks.It's bad enough all of the sports stadiums are named after companies now.This isn't Europe.I don't wanna see the NY Viagras play.I wanna see the F-in Knicks lol Now with that said,I dont get why the league made every team use Adidas.I think the teams should be allowed to use whatever company they want as long as the jersey doesn't create a competitive advantage/disadvantage.That way,the owners can sell to the highest bidder. Also if any of you guys have worked sales or retail (as I have in the past), the league should make it mandatory that your jerseys manufacturing logo can only be but so big.
I TOTALLY AGREE.

I'm from Europe and I am used to ads on jerseys.
Do I like it ? NO
NBA teams should keep their jerseys intact.

Quote:
Boost Mobile pays Melo and they league for that advertising, in that way.

KD could have Gatorade, LeBron...tampax.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: