Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-04-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default Remember Armon Gilliam ?

Played for Pittsburgh Xplosion last year, but had a veery good NBA career, averaging 7 ebounds and 14 points during his 13 year NBA career. Also one of the last great moustaches before Morrison brought it back. (Not counting Pollard's sideburns)

Quote:
Armen Louis Gilliam (born Armon Louis Gilliam on May 28, 1964, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), nicknamed "The Hammer", is an American professional basketball player for the Pittsburgh Xplosion of the American Basketball Association (ABA). In the 2005-2006 ABA All-Star Game at the BankAtlantic Center, Armen Gilliam was named MVP.

Gilliam began his professional career with the NBA when he was selected second overall in the 1987 NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns. He retired from the NBA in 2000 after 15 seasons with six different teams. He holds averages of 13.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

Towards the end of his NBA career he altered the spelling of his first name from "Armon" to "Armen" because he was tired of it continually being mispronounced. At the time, he was quoted as saying: "Most people pronounced it Ar-MON. I've been correcting it a long time, and I got tired of it. I just thought that if I put the 'e' in there, it would make it a lot easier. I'm not Muslim. It's not religious or anything like that."
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ive brought him up a couple times here if only for the great nickname. Armen Hammer. If he were a great dunker it would be a classic.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

I'd like to know how he came by that nickname. He wasn't exactly a brute force powerforward kind of player.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Ive brought him up a couple times here if only for the great nickname. Armen Hammer. If he were a great dunker it would be a classic.

I thought he was 'Gumby' for his slanty assed cameo cut
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Have you just made this topic because you saw him in the ad with the midget?
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

That, and I came across someof my upperdeck collecting cards when looking through my stuff after I moved into my new appartment.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
jbrown3
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jbrown3 has an OK reputation so far

From what I've read he actually is a very respectable a person who holds very high standards about things. I think that's cool because a lot of players nowadays aren't like that. I think he was different in his mindset, probably someone who'd make a good intellectual if he put the effort into it. Kudos to him, and of course, Kudos to his potential nickname.
jbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
That, and I came across someof my upperdeck collecting cards when looking through my stuff after I moved into my new appartment.

If you don't have an old Skybox card of him with the spacey background you aren't a true Armon fan.

Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That commercial is hilarious and so ghetto.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Armon used to remind me of the guy from the rap group "Three Times Dope" with the gumby fade. They were at their peak in the late 80s/early 90s. Remember them?
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Played for Pittsburgh Xplosion last year, but had a veery good NBA career, averaging 7 ebounds and 14 points during his 13 year NBA career. Also one of the last great moustaches before Morrison brought it back. (Not counting Pollard's sideburns)

Gilliam had one of the UGLIEST games I've ever seen. His shot made Marty Conlon's look like Ray Allen's, and his post game was just revolting to watch. Somehow, he got things done, but never that great. A lot like Aaron Williams today, although his game is nowhere near as ugly.

Last edited by JalenRawley : 12-04-2006 at 03:43 PM.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

the thing i remember most about gilliam is watching him and barkley trying to play side by side. what a weird draft pick. who wants two dumpy power forwards trying to co-exist in the same starting line-up?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Knicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKnicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Armen Gilliam dead at 47!

UNLV great and former NBA player Armen Gilliam died Tuesday night while playing pickup basketball at a Pittsburgh-area health club. He was 47.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said Wednesday that Gilliam died Tuesday night at the LA Fitness gym in Bridgeville while he was playing basketball.

The office says a cause of death has not yet been determined pending an autopsy.

Gilliam, a 6-foot-9 forward, played 13 NBA seasons with six teams after leading UNLV to a 37-2 record and the Final Four in 1987. He was the No. 2 overall pick of the Phoenix Suns in the 1987 NBA draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6743008

Last edited by insidehoops : 07-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Armen Gilliam dead at 47!

Sad news.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Armen Gilliam dead at 47!

Saw this earlier.

Kinda scary, really. I bet, at 47 years old, that dude was in much better shape than me and he died playing hoops. I play 2-3 times a week in 100 degree temperatures. I pray every time I go out there.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: