Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool
Default Favorite Game Genre's

Hi Guys just wanted to bring some casual talk out

Whats your favorite Game Genre?

For me I used to love RPG's and Fighting games, I wasnt really a fan of FPS's on consoles but recently Ive been playing only BFBC2, the reason I like it is I no longer have time to fully immerse myself in a game that needs 30 or more hours of dedicated leveling. I want a game like 2k11 or BF that you can play 1-2 hours then rest sleep etc.

These are the usual games I play

FPS ( BFBCS/Black OPS/MW)
Sports games ( actually only NBA games like 2K)
Fighting games ( SF4 and MK)
SIM Games ( Ace Combat, the sims)
War strategy games+ RTS(Nectaris/ C&C series/ Field Commander/ Advance wars
RPG's ( The Final Fantasy Series although I havent played the latest on the PS3) Dragon Quest / Breath of fire

I also like side scroller/adventure games like Okami wish they did a new one and also wish new games had hack and slash type games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Favorite Game Genre's

Mine changes every now and then. Right now I think I'd rather play hack n slash. Like you, at the moment, i'm not invested in spending 30 hours on a game. I just ordered God of War Origins collection to fulfill my hack n slash need...to bad I have to wait a couple of months for it. I too enjoy BFBC2 for the same reasons you gave....I just recently sold it though in anticipation of Battlefield 3.

Other times I'm in the mood for interdmediate length games in the mold of Resident Evil or Metal Gear.....about 15-20 hours.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

I think the last RPG I finished was on the PSP since thats the system I always carry around with me. But for home consoles I just dont have time to get imersed in long games.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
mcrd101
Good High School Starter

mcrd101 has an OK reputation so far

Third person shooters
Hack and slash-only certain ones, it has to have some variety. LOTR: Return of the King is one of my favorite games, beaten it at least 4 times.
Sports, especially basketball.

Edit: Old school platformers. Ex: Sonic, Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited by mcrd101 : 07-20-2011 at 08:25 PM.
mcrd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Games like

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Left 4 Dead 2
Halo Multi-player (MLG)
Dead Nation

Multi-player shooters that are dependent on teamwork, strategy, and skill. Sometimes they're overhead shooters, sometimes 3rd person. But I love those types of games.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Games like

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Left 4 Dead 2
Halo Multi-player (MLG)
Dead Nation

Multi-player shooters that are dependent on teamwork, strategy, and skill. Sometimes they're overhead shooters, sometimes 3rd person. But I love those types of games.

I'm digging Dead Nation too right now.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

action adventure maybe with rpg elements. stuff like zelda, darksiders, and god of war.

hack n slash with some puzzles mixed in, collecting items.. perfect recipe for me these days

also 2d platformers will always have a special place in my heart. although mario galaxy 1 and 2 have perfected 3d platforming.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like action/adventure with some RPG elements mixed in, some puzzling. Or Third Person Shooters with similar side elements. Resident Evil, Uncharted, Dead Space, The GTAs, Red Dead.

I just don't dig FPSs for some reason. I like a good story, and I like having a world to explore, even if it's only a level at a time. I'm a searcher by nature I guess. I like to find stuff, figure stuff out, and the like.

I do sort of dig platformers too. Although it's been a while. I read that Limbo got released on PSN last night, and I'm looking forward to getting that.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

FPS and Sports

That's pretty much it.

Red Dead Redemption was nice too, played it a couple times
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

turn-based rpg, though I haven't played one I've really enjoyed since the GBA re-issue of the FF with sage tellah and the twins. I forget which number that was. Most recent attempt was Last Remnant, and I'm still plodding through that. Story isn't bad, but the mechanics are redundant and strategy limited to a game that you'd expect to be 15 years old, not 3. Still, I prefer these to action RPG's.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
TJA7
I airball my layups

TJA7 has an OK reputation so far

I will give anything with RPG elements a go. Also play a lot of first person shooters and sandbox games. Really like hack and slash games too. Used to love Baldurs Gate Dark alliance on the ps2
TJA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Stealth.

Metal Gear series
Splinter Cell
Batman Arkham series
Tenchu

I prefer to creep around and murder people.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

The only 3 genres I really enjoy are RPG, Horror and Sports. Specifically Western RPG. Some of my favorite titles to give examples.

1. Mass Effect
2. Dragon Age
3. KOTOR games
4. Jade Empire
5. Fallout 3
6. Resident evil games
7. Alan Wake
8. NBA 2K games
9. Madden games

Unlike most gamers right now I'm not into FPS's or Sandbox like GTA or Red Dead Redemption. I'll play them but not much.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

RPG

currently playing the first 2 golden suns so i can finally play the newest one
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My favorite genre always changes. Just this year alone I've played more games than I probably ever did during my childhood. As of right now, I'm hooked on MW2.
Games I've played this year:
NBA 2K11
The Mafia II
MW2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Ultimate Sega Collection (mostly the Sonic the Hedgehog classic games)
Assassin's Creed
The Sims 3
GTA IV (passed it a bunch of times but it never gets old)
Little Big Planet (only video game my wifey will play)
InFamous
Gran Turismo 5
Need For Speed
Madden
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: