Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default The roster I would like to see All Star break

Assuming there is a season.

We talk about line ups - this FA - that FA - this trade - that trade - tanking - playing for a playoff.

I think this is the roster I would like to see from a "cap space" - "grow the young core" - get another "high 1st rounder" in 2012". I think with defensive responsibility this team would 'play hard every night' but still gives you flexability in 2 - 3 year time frame for resignings and contracts.

Chris Kaman (via Clippers for Bargnani) C
Jonas Valanciunas - C
Solomon Alabi - C
Ed Davis PF
Amir Johnson - PF
Linas Kliza - SF
James Johnson - SF
Demar Derozan SF SG
Jerryd Bayliss SG - PG
Anthony Parker - SG
Leandro Barbossa - SG
Aaron Brooks (via Lakers via Suns for Jose/cash/draft picks) PG

Sonny Weems based on Price/Length of deal - SF
Reggie Evans based on Price/Length of deal C/PF
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: The roster I would like to see All Star break

ohh I guess it should say

Chris Kaman - 2 years left at $13MM - UFA in 2014 (ish)
Barbosa - final year at $7MM- UFA in 2013.

So $20MM in potential cap space open over 2 full years - subtract back the escalations in Derozan Davis et all... say $15MM in cap space.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wouldn't want Kaman or Brooks since we're still rebuilding. Both would just ruin our chances at a high first rounder and potentially take us out of the lottery.

There's no point investing so much in a a starting center this year really since Val will be getting heavy minutes in 2012-2013, and we might as well see what we have in Bayless starting at the point for a full season. He put up pretty solid stats as a starter.

I'd like to see Bargs and Barbosa traded for additional picks or prospects.

We have to accept that this will be another painful year to watch but it's necessary. The 2012-2013 season is what we really need to look ahead to when Val comes over and we draft a potential star point guard or small forward.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

This season will suck. All I want from the season is-

* to not add any long term contracts for anyone over 25 (or under 25 either for that matter, unless they are extremely cheap or have huge potential)

* to finish at or near last (which will happen)

* to get a second high pick in the next draft.

This season will be practically unwatchable. But if we do the last two steps above, we might well end up with a 2012-13 starting lineup along the lines of-

Jonas Valanciunas
Ed Davis
Harrison Barnes
Demar Derozan
Myck Kabongo

Too inexperienced to win much, but stacked with potential and excitement, a team like that would be almost worth the very painful and boring wait the Raptors organisation is putting us through.

Last edited by keantona : 07-22-2011 at 07:32 PM.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
This season will suck. All I want from the season is-

* to not add any long term contracts for anyone over 25 (or under 25 either for that matter, unless they are extremely cheap or have huge potential)

* to finish at or near last (which will happen)

* to get a second high pick in the next draft.

This season will be practically unwatchable. But if we do the last two steps above, we might well end up with a 2012-13 starting lineup along the lines of-

Jonas Valanciunas
Ed Davis
Harrison Barnes
Demar Derozan
Myck Kabongo

Too inexperienced to win much, but stacked with potential and excitement, a team like that would be almost worth the very painful and boring wait the Raptors organisation is putting us through.

How are we going to get 2 lottery picks next year? Kabongo and Barnes are both likely for the top10.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
How are we going to get 2 lottery picks next year? Kabongo and Barnes are both likely for the top10.

By the looks of the roster he is trading Bargnani for it, which would never happen.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

I'd trade anyone except Davis/DeRozan/Valanciunas for a second top ten pick. Certainly Bargnani, who's the only one who might get such a pick on his own. And though I don't want any older players on the team, I'd take on a junk contract to get that pick.

Of course I have no reason to think Colangelo thinks the same way. I still do think he's quite likely to get rid of Bargnani before too long though...
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

I'd trade anyone except Davis/DeRozan/Valanciunas for a second top ten pick. Certainly Bargnani, who's the only one who might get such a pick on his own. And though I don't want any older players on the team, I'd take on a junk contract to get that pick.

Of course I have no reason to think Colangelo thinks the same way. I still do think he's quite likely to get rid of Bargnani before too long though...
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
bluerap
Local High School Star

I guess it's possible that we can score a second first round pick from a borderline playoff team for bargs.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i dont care what roster we have for the next two seasons but as long as we play hard and work towards a goal, i am okay. The fact is, last season we sucked major balls because we just weren't a team that was trying a lot. I want to see a young team and plays every game as if its their last game and makes an effort to win. If the talent just isn't there yet, its okay. Sadly, i just see our team sucking and being lazy the entire season. A few of the players we have, including our team leader, is just lazy and is not a great leader for the younger players. A player coming into the league needs good leaders and veterans. We dont have that at all. Vince had AD and Oakley and Kevin Willis. We need those kind of guys to carry this team into teh future.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

You guys are completely underrating Bargs just because he can't rebound. He could easily fetch us a lottery pick. If George Hill can get a 15th overall pick then Bargs can do much better.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
bluerap
Local High School Star

15th pick in this draft is a lot different than 10th pick in next draft.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You guys are completely underrating Bargs just because he can't rebound.
Can't play defense and can't score efficiently either. I'm sure there are many teams that would like him as a 6th man but what team hoping to win a championship can commit to such a player and give him a starting spot and 32-35 mpg?
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Can't play defense and can't score efficiently either. I'm sure there are many teams that would like him as a 6th man but what team hoping to win a championship can commit to such a player and give him a starting spot and 32-35 mpg?

just the obvious one

Last edited by Doko : 07-24-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yep. Orlando is the only one I can think of. MAYBE Denver beside Nene.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: