Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 12-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Default Man for man, compared to the 1970 championship team.

As a academic question, how does the Knicks of today stack up against the 1970 championship team.

Let's take a look.......

Walt Frazier PG
**** Barnett SG
Willis Reed C
Bill Bradley SF
Dave DeBusshere PF

The starting lineup that Zeke wants is:

Marbury PG
Francis SG
Curry C
Q Rich SF
Channing Frye PF

This is the lineup I would like to see:

Marbury PG
Q Rich SG
Curry C
Lee SF
Frye PF

I think my lineup has better outside shooting, rebounding(Lee) and defense over what Isiah wanted. It also gives teams match up problems in the low post. His lineup might be a little faster and run better but mine is more powerful and has more of an inside outside scoring.

After looking at all three line ups I think we have a long way to go to match them.

PG - Marbury will never be Clyde.

SG - Francis basically has no position but can score better than Barnett. Barnett was a better all around player.

C - Curry has the body and physical ability to be better than Reed. Let's give him a few years.

SF - Q is very good and a great all around player. He plays better D and is more athletic(faster, stronger) than Bradley but Bradley could shoot better and pass.

PF - Frye has way more ability then DeBusshere, but Dave had that attitude and was a real competitor, he did the dirty work and Lee is more like him. Like Curry there is more athleticism with both Lee and Frye but only time will tell.

So it's my opinion that looking back at the championship team we have a better bench and more athleticism but a lot of question marks. I think once we solidify the starting lineup and the young players get more experience we can be better and maybe win a championship. (No I'm not dreaming)

Like the 1970 Knicks this team is a bunch of very good to great players. Neither team has or had any real superstars like a Jordan, Larry Bird or Oscar Robertson. This team is very much like the Pistons in that way and I like it better than having one superstar and a bunch of role players.

I'd just like to see this team run like a well oiled machine with anyone being able to take advantage of another team if they are not defended well. It's about time we stopped worrying about us matching up and let them worry about them matching up with us.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Nice Post, Made This Thread a Sticky.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
MetsPackers
new based god

I hope you aren't calling a Knicks championship with this thread. Lets make the playoffs first and then see what happens. I don't think this team has the same sharing mentality that the 1970 championship team had. Maybe in a few years when Lee, Frye, Curry, and Crawford develop more we will contend for a title.
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

He's saying man for man, not what the team is doing.

The talent of the players.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
PG - Marbury will never be Clyde.

And That's Why the Knicks won it in 1970
Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
blakdes
I airball my layups

No offense... But get the **** outta here with this post. We are one of the worse teams in the East. How in the hell are you gonna compare them to a championship team?

They not even better than the knicks teamt that went to the championship with houston, sprewell and LJ...not even close.

Post is wishful thinking!

Think my man drank too much Eggnog!
blakdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
MetsPackers
new based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdes
No offense... But get the **** outta here with this post. We are one of the worse teams in the East. How in the hell are you gonna compare them to a championship team?

They not even better than the knicks teamt that went to the championship with houston, sprewell and LJ...not even close.

Post is wishful thinking!

Think my man drank too much Eggnog!
Thats why its really weird that we are contending to win the division. Today I asked the magic 8 ball if we were going to win the division, and it told me yes
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Good ol' 8 ball, still loyal.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
PatCummingsFan
I airball my layups

Great post Bigdaddy

I like your starting lineup, it is fast and furious !

We need to find a way to make Francis more effective, he is an amazing player, but is not a pure 2 guard who can make a zone defense pay with his outside game.

Lee would be a solid starter, but I am one of those stubborn old dudes that feels he injects more energy into the team as a sixth man, just like "Bobby Jones" did for the Sixers back in the day !

But I am glad we have this plethora of talent, it gives us a lot of options and can be creative with a lot of lineups.
So I would like to see ourn team gel and become a cohesive unit and improve game by game, giving us a team to be proud of !
PatCummingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

That 1970 team was not viewed as a champion, although they won. Now I am not predicting a championship, but our current roster has MORE talent then that 70's team. But that 70's team had cohesivness. We need a steady lineup in the worst way.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

The brawl was a blessing in disguise.

It forced Zeke to play certain players and they came through.

I think Isiah had too many toys and could not figure out how best to play with them.

This team doesn't have a superstar and I like it like that.

That's why I posted this, because it reminded me of the 1970 team in that way.

Since there is no so-called go to guy the only way to win is to play the good old fashioned way. That is:

Play defense, help out on defense, rebound, pass when you don't have your shot or you see someone open and do the little intangible things that only a professional NBA player should know but so many don't. Box out, run the floor, know the rules, take the charge, dive for a loose ball, foul when it has to be done, things like that. It's called unselfish play.

Having 5 guys on the court at the same time doing those things is poetry in motion and a beautiful thing to watch........
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
blakdes
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
That 1970 team was not viewed as a champion, although they won. Now I am not predicting a championship, but our current roster has MORE talent then that 70's team. But that 70's team had cohesivness. We need a steady lineup in the worst way.

Yeah but that team has 3 hall of famers....this team has "maybe" one "potential" hall of famer.

Regardless I'd agree we have alot of talent. NO cohesiveness...atleast no consistent cohesiveness...there is alot to fix before we can start making that comparison.
blakdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman
The brawl was a blessing in disguise.

It forced Zeke to play certain players and they came through.

I think Isiah had too many toys and could not figure out how best to play with them.

This team doesn't have a superstar and I like it like that.

That's why I posted this, because it reminded me of the 1970 team in that way.

Since there is no so-called go to guy the only way to win is to play the good old fashioned way. That is:

Play defense, help out on defense, rebound, pass when you don't have your shot or you see someone open and do the little intangible things that only a professional NBA player should know but so many don't. Box out, run the floor, know the rules, take the charge, dive for a loose ball, foul when it has to be done, things like that. It's called unselfish play.

Having 5 guys on the court at the same time doing those things is poetry in motion and a beautiful thing to watch........
Yup, I agree, great thread.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #14
zmuda
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default i don't think so

your kidding with this post. willis reed kills curry. frazier spanks marbury. debushere and bradley were all arms and legs in your face . bottom line is defense. no comparison . but i am into our current team i love curry , frye , lee crawford and marbury as the starters. keep francis on the bench. these guys are playing their asses off. i could totally see them overachieving.
zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

In 20 years from now this team might have 3 or 4 hall of famers. You never know, it's a young team.

Marbury will be a hall of famer. If he just keeps his stats up and plays long enough he will make the hall of fame.

Lee, Frye and Curry just might also if they stay long enough in the league and have descent stats. Of course if the Knicks win a championship that would help. But the road to the hall is longevity. Having good stats and being on a few winning teams. But that has to be over a number of years. A lot of players take a few years to develop than have a few really good years and tail off quickly.

It's the players that push themselves to stay in shape and take the next step by really learning the finer points of the game as their physical tools start to deteriorate. And of course stay injury free to some extent, that's big.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: