Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Odom Wants to Play In Europe

Quote:
Whether it reflects his pessimism concerning the NBA lockout, uncertainty about the Lakers or hope to expand Khloe Kardashian's brand, forward Lamar Odom told Pau Gasol in a tweet that he may play in Europe after next season.

"itís ya boy @RealLamarOdom !" Odom tweeted to Gasol. "My dude really want 2 talk 2 u! Really thinking about going 2 play in Europe after this season!"

Odom has a two-year, $17-million contract remaining with the Lakers, but he only has one guaranteed season, in 2011-2012, worth $8.9 million. The Lakers have a $8.2-million option for the 2012-2013 campaign. Only $2.4 million of that option is guaranteed, meaning it's possible Odom could become a free agent in 2012. It remains unclear whether the Lakers would keep him, particularly after their unsuccessful bid to trade him this offseason to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"What's going on @RealLamarOdom!?" Gasol replied. "I'm happy to hear from you! I'm in Lithuania right now. I'll get in touch with you later today!"

Considering that Odom is coming off the most consistent season in his 12-year career, and that he thrived on the international stage last summer in the FIBA World Championships, it's possible he'd excel on the European stage. Whether Odom intended his contingency plans to become so public remains to be seen, but it may have been a better idea to send Gasol a direct message -- or at least follow his own advice in the following tweet.

Tweeted Odom: "If u wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans!"

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...in-europe.html

AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Odom Wants to Play In Europe

Boy sure sounds like LO is thinking about playing in Europe. I'm not mad at these guy's because it a business.

Nice post AirTupac...
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I am all for this.

LO played his best ball as a Laker last season, and that was due to him being physically ready once training camp started due to playing FIBA ball.

He has often had slow starts due to him not training very hard in the off season. Him playing international ball will keep him on his toes and keep him ready whenever the season starts.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I am all for this.

LO played his best ball as a Laker last season, and that was due to him being physically ready once training camp started due to playing FIBA ball.

He has often had slow starts due to him not training very hard in the off season. Him playing international ball will keep him on his toes and keep him ready whenever the season starts.

Everything in this post is 100% agreed with from my end. I was about to post the same exact thing. Odom playing ball in the off-season keeps him focused on his role as a laker. Seeing that a season might not be possible this year, this is an absolute must. He should play in a european league. and more!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't mind any of the guys playing overseas as long as the NBA is locked out. The thing I don't think is smart is the players who are signing in China and have no out clause. Sure their season is over in March but what happens if the NBA starts up in mid December? I've always liked Odom in international ball. If he played with Pau somewhere over there I'd watch it. Right now I'm more about seeing basketball again. If it's something temporary and teams that we don't care about that's fine. That's close enough to preseason anyway :)
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
with malice
I hit open 5-footers

with malice is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I don't see the team picking up LO's option at that rate, especially if the cap's a lot *firmer* than it's been. I think they'll try hard to trade him during the next... well... you know: whenever basketball starts again.

O... nice post ihatetimthomas - rep'd.
with malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

triangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertriangleoffense is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Odom's game would be perfect for euroleague.
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
Odom's game would be perfect for euroleague.

This I agree.

Except the team defense part.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't mind any of the guys playing overseas as long as the NBA is locked out. The thing I don't think is smart is the players who are signing in China and have no out clause. Sure their season is over in March but what happens if the NBA starts up in mid December? I've always liked Odom in international ball. If he played with Pau somewhere over there I'd watch it. Right now I'm more about seeing basketball again. If it's something temporary and teams that we don't care about that's fine. That's close enough to preseason anyway :)

I cant really blame some of the guys who have joined up in China. I am not sure how much coin they make, but I am sure its more than if they sign anywhere else. I know I read somewhere Kmart was the highest paid player ever for the team he signed for. The guys who have signed over in China, Wilson Chandler, Kmart and JR Smith are all free agents and would have to sign a contract once the season begins. Its not like they have guaranteed contracts that would start up once the season begins.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I cant really blame some of the guys who have joined up in China. I am not sure how much coin they make, but I am sure its more than if they sign anywhere else. I know I read somewhere Kmart was the highest paid player ever for the team he signed for. The guys who have signed over in China, Wilson Chandler, Kmart and JR Smith are all free agents and would have to sign a contract once the season begins. Its not like they have guaranteed contracts that would start up once the season begins.

I don't think they make more money is the thing. The only thing it gets them is exposure in a different market. They're saying right now it would still be an 82 game schedule if they can get something decided quickly so I would think they would have a better paycheck in the NBA. Coincidentally, all the ones you listed are(were) Nuggets. Maybe they just want out of Denver that bad
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Obviously some players left the NBA because of this lockout with a chance to make more money. Someone like the point guard we signed at the end of last season, I forget his name, he signed a 2 year contract overseas without an opt out clause. This guy knows his next stint in the NBA is not for certain, and might be very short-lived, so he took the more secure route.

Now that I think about all of this, and the amount of time it has taken to attempt to get this deal done, the best thing would have been for every player to play somewhere, anywhere. Guys like Fisher are old and need their rest, but just how in shape will they be coming back into next season if it stretches out to a whole year off?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Obviously some players left the NBA because of this lockout with a chance to make more money. Someone like the point guard we signed at the end of last season, I forget his name, he signed a 2 year contract overseas without an opt out clause. This guy knows his next stint in the NBA is not for certain, and might be very short-lived, so he took the more secure route.

Now that I think about all of this, and the amount of time it has taken to attempt to get this deal done, the best thing would have been for every player to play somewhere, anywhere. Guys like Fisher are old and need their rest, but just how in shape will they be coming back into next season if it stretches out to a whole year off?

If Fisher takes a year off, I think it would really hurt him and he would likely not play much the following year. The old guys need to not overdo it, but they do need to keep in good basketball shape because it is more difficult for them to get back into shape. Hopefully this lock out ends very soon as it is being speculated bc Fish likely would not be able to play competitive ball since he is prez of the players union.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
If Fisher takes a year off, I think it would really hurt him and he would likely not play much the following year. The old guys need to not overdo it, but they do need to keep in good basketball shape because it is more difficult for them to get back into shape. Hopefully this lock out ends very soon as it is being speculated bc Fish likely would not be able to play competitive ball since he is prez of the players union.

Hmm, I had no idea he couldn't play if he was prez.

I hope some moves are made either way. I don't think we can rely on him as a full time PG anymore either way you slice it. I predict that as soon as the lockout ends, there will be so many trades and free agent acquisitions as the NFL had done right after they ended their lockout. Whether or not fisher is ready to play, he should be given a limited role (20 mpg off the bench i.e. eddie house on the celtics/heat). Do we need Fisher on the team? Absolutely. He's more of a coach than anyone thats ever coached the lakers.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Hmm, I had no idea he couldn't play if he was prez.

I hope some moves are made either way. I don't think we can rely on him as a full time PG anymore either way you slice it. I predict that as soon as the lockout ends, there will be so many trades and free agent acquisitions as the NFL had done right after they ended their lockout. Whether or not fisher is ready to play, he should be given a limited role (20 mpg off the bench i.e. eddie house on the celtics/heat). Do we need Fisher on the team? Absolutely. He's more of a coach than anyone thats ever coached the lakers.

I just figure he would be in and out of meetings and personally, I would want the players union president to be readily available at all times and would want his focus to be on getting a deal done. He would have to play overseas and the travel back and forth just doesnt sound plausible.

Yea Fish def. still has value for this team, just not as much on the court anymore. Lakers are still in dire need of a pg. Browns defensive minded approach should help the team D a bit and help Fish out, but fact remains that that is still the big glaring hole on the team.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I just figure he would be in and out of meetings and personally, I would want the players union president to be readily available at all times and would want his focus to be on getting a deal done. He would have to play overseas and the travel back and forth just doesnt sound plausible.

Yea Fish def. still has value for this team, just not as much on the court anymore. Lakers are still in dire need of a pg. Browns defensive minded approach should help the team D a bit and help Fish out, but fact remains that that is still the big glaring hole on the team.

Especially offensively. In PJ's system we didn't need a pass first point guard. Those days are over. Brown's offensive schemes are already a question. Does it work? Is it effective? Will everyone be happy in it? We will need a pass-first point guard this time, and Im not even so sure that Blake is a legitimate pass first guy. He's another Fisher to me. Defending 3 point shooter that can dribble. Thats about it I think. He doesn't take many risks which is good. His passes are fundamental and not anything special.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: