Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Alex Smith

If you haven't known by now I'm a big Smith fan and just dropping by to post how well Smith has been playing this year. Hopefully people are starting to recognize his performances and stop labeling him a "bust"

83-126 for 965 yards, 7 TD's, 1 int, 65.9 completion %, 104.1 QB rating

He's also leading the BSPN's TQBR this week
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...in-and-top-qbr

I'm telling you he's a really good QB..

Thoughts?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Deadpool
Great young streetballer

Deadpool is considered somewhat coolDeadpool is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Alex Smith

Well see Alex just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. He has the tools to be a very good QB and we can see it now under Harbaugh. I believe that if the 49ers keep the staff they have right now you will see Alex Smith getting better.

But you also gotta love what the niners did keeping faith in Alex throughout all those year without getting rid of him. He does have the potential and it's paying off right now.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...416/alex-smith

Looks like a bust to me. Bust = failed to live up to expectations. The season he is having just tells me he isnt a joke of a starting QB. There are QBs who started in the past because teams had no alternative solution. Alex Smith isnt that bad. But to think so far this season the bust label should be removed? No sir.

#1 pick overall in the draft. I know of a guy who went in the same draft. Guess what he's doing today.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...416/alex-smith

Looks like a bust to me. Bust = failed to live up to expectations. The season he is having just tells me he isnt a joke of a starting QB. There are QBs who started in the past because teams had no alternative solution. Alex Smith isnt that bad. But to think so far this season the bust label should be removed? No sir.

#1 pick overall in the draft. I know of a guy who went in the same draft. Guess what he's doing today.

Don't base everything on stats.

His first year was just a disaster, he was literally thrown into the wolves.. Not to mention he was an extremely raw QB coming out of college and playing on those earlier Niner teams didn't exactly help him out. The improvement he made to his second season was tremendous but then injuries, constant coaching shifts, not playing, etc, all contributed.

You can't even compare Smith to Rodgers as Rodgers sat behind a HOF QB and inherited a great team. Smith had incompetent OC's, terrible lines, poor recievers, etc. Although part of the blame was on Smith I don't think Rodgers would have fared any better..
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Don't base everything on stats.

His first year was just a disaster, he was literally thrown into the wolves.. Not to mention he was an extremely raw QB coming out of college and playing on those earlier Niner teams didn't exactly help him out. The improvement he made to his second season was tremendous but then injuries, constant coaching shifts, not playing, etc, all contributed.

You can't even compare Smith to Rodgers as Rodgers sat behind a HOF QB and inherited a great team. Smith had incompetent OC's, terrible lines, poor recievers, etc. Although part of the blame was on Smith I don't think Rodgers would have fared any better..

#1 overall pick. After 7 seasons you're highlights "stats" from this season and saying people should remove the bust label. Not happening. Sorry. You cant change the definition of a bust because the guy you defend so much has been labelled as such. It doesnt work that way. Keep it real.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's not like he never lacked the ability. Anyone who thought he was just a bad QB talent wise just never really saw him play imo. He's always had the talent.

What he didn't have was the confidence. He got tossed behind a terrible line in a terrible team. He then started to improve, but got hurt. Then Mike Nolan went crazy (was already crazy?).

THEN he had that weird shoulder issue and the team nearly cut him.

Then he did lose the job to Shaun Hill. I honestly don't know why. He was either that bad or Singletary's method would make Hill the better option (managing). But then he comes in in the middle of the season and does actually pretty damn well.

2010 was the QB merry-go-round. A debacle to be honest.

So basically what I'm trying to sum up is that he never had something solid to stand on which is what he needs. He has a mental aspect, he's extremely intelligent, but when he gets under center something changes. He either: a) Doesn't trust his arm. b) Always tries to look for the perfect throw. But this year it's different, he's got confidence, he did two things yesterday that made me smile: First he threw that pass in between defenders to Walker for the TD. But even more important for me was when he escaped the pocket ran around a bit, PLANTED, and threw down field, it was incomplete but... important.

With a moving pocket, with some PA fakes, and with very good play calling, he's built some confidence, and it's like a while different QB. The only thing I still want to see him add a bit more is using his feet, he's got that talent too.

Now with Detroit coming up tbh it scares me more than any other game. I don't want Alex hurt, and I don't want him to take a step backwards. It'll be important for that O-Line to continue to grow.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Well see Alex just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. He has the tools to be a very good QB and we can see it now under Harbaugh. I believe that if the 49ers keep the staff they have right now you will see Alex Smith getting better.

But you also gotta love what the niners did keeping faith in Alex throughout all those year without getting rid of him. He does have the potential and it's paying off right now.

Pretty sure they kept him around because there were no better options, not faith. Drafting a QB in the 2nd round doesn't exactly show "keeping the faith" either.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Honestly, he is still a bust. He's been playing well but mostly as a result of excellent coaching. Harbaugh really is probably the best coach in the NFL right now (or very close to it). He does not let Alex take chances down the field and in third and long situations he is checking down a lot. Harbaugh could take essentially almost every starting QB in the league (probably a lot of backups too) and put them in the same position and they'd have similar success. I'm glad Alex is playing well, and the 9ers are as a result but it's not a case of some mid season rebirth. Alex is the same QB he was years ago.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Add to the topic as well, I agree w/ others, he's still a bust.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He averages 193 passing yards a game. WOW.

Just because he gives Frank Gore the ball 20+ times a game doesn't mean he is not a bust.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
If you haven't known by now I'm a big Smith fan and just dropping by to post how well Smith has been playing this year. Hopefully people are starting to recognize his performances and stop labeling him a "bust"

83-126 for 965 yards, 7 TD's, 1 int, 65.9 completion %, 104.1 QB rating

He's also leading the BSPN's TQBR this week
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...in-and-top-qbr

I'm telling you he's a really good QB..

Thoughts?

Ive allwyas thought he could get it together, hes still what 26? 27?

this is the first time hes got some great recieveing options, he had no one the first couple of years, then he got davis then crabtree, hes got edwards, ginn and morgan who all bring something different, gore out the backfield, a bit of consistant coaching

Im a fan aswell and its about ****ing time the 49ers gave him some help
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb

this is the first time hes got some great recieveing options, he had no one the first couple of years, then he got davis then crabtree, hes got edwards, ginn and morgan who all bring something different, gore out the backfield, a bit of consistant coaching

please dont blame smith being terrible on him not having help or options. thats pathetic
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

definitely still a bust to me, and I admire his play this year, Harbaugh has made him into a lighter version of Brees really, and he is definitely a solid NFL starting QB now. His decision making has come a long way, his pocket awareness, everything mentally is as sharp as possible. Still his arm has a lot to be left desired in the throwing power category, he's also not the most accurate guy, but his accuracy is improving big time. He's still a bust because going #1 overall as a QB he was supposed to lead the team to playoffs already atleast once, and threaten for a pro bowl. Just because he is a bust doesn't mean he's not a solid NFL starting QB, because he is.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
prodigyjazz
I brick open layups

prodigyjazz has an OK reputation so far

He's suffered through 9ers coaching woes, that's all i can say
To his credit he's kept up a positive attitude through it all
Looks like they finally found a coach in Harbaugh and Alex is starting to shine
prodigyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
He averages 193 passing yards a game. WOW.

Just because he gives Frank Gore the ball 20+ times a game doesn't mean he is not a bust.

Don't give me that crap. Besides these past 2 weeks Gore hasn't done squat. And so what if he averages 193 passing yards a game? I care about TD-INT ratio and Wins..

Quote:
Honestly, he is still a bust. He's been playing well but mostly as a result of excellent coaching. Harbaugh really is probably the best coach in the NFL right now (or very close to it). He does not let Alex take chances down the field and in third and long situations he is checking down a lot. Harbaugh could take essentially almost every starting QB in the league (probably a lot of backups too) and put them in the same position and they'd have similar success. I'm glad Alex is playing well, and the 9ers are as a result but it's not a case of some mid season rebirth. Alex is the same QB he was years ago.

Smith has actually had most of his success when he takes shots down the field and that is when the team performs the best. When the playbook opens and when Harbough gives Alex the freedom to let it rip that's when this offense performs the best. Harbough is a great coach but to say he has created Smith isn't fair.. Any coach can be a huge upgrade compared to Singletary..

Quote:

Edwards has been out for majority of the season, Morgan just fractured his ankle(was playing extremely well), and Ginn is more of a Cribbs type of receiver. Don't count out Delanie Walker as well, he's a great #2 TE.

And yea Alex Smith is only 27 and this is his 7th year compared to Matt Ryan who is 26 and considered a young QB.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: