Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
shlver
코비=GOAT

Default MLG Providence: SC2

16 year old Zerg did this at MLG Providence...
12-0 - Open Bracket
2-0: Boxer
2-0: Haypro
2-0: Slush
2-1: MMA
2-0: Idra
2-0: Huk
2-0: MVP
4-3: DRG
4-1: Naniwa
Came all the way through open bracket and went through those players all in one weekend. This guy is gonna be 10 times of what nestea is.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Maniak
Warm Winds

Default Re: MLG Providence: SC2

Pretty crazy.

I'm happy how well foreigners did. 4 foreigners and 4 koreans?! Thats good stuff.

Hadn't heard of this guy prior to the event, crazy to see him win the national championships

I can't help but think that idra might have gone farther. He was messing with his own mind and GG'd too early. I kind of thought he was past that.

Also, lack of terrans makes me sadface. Zerg was very dominant at this event. So much ZvZ, especially on the first day.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
Pretty crazy.

I'm happy how well foreigners did. 4 foreigners and 4 koreans?! Thats good stuff.

Hadn't heard of this guy prior to the event, crazy to see him win the national championships

I can't help but think that idra might have gone farther. He was messing with his own mind and GG'd too early. I kind of thought he was past that.

Also, lack of terrans makes me sadface. Zerg was very dominant at this event. So much ZvZ, especially on the first day.
Idra played some crazy matches against Nestea. His ZvZ is pretty damn good. Although he plays too emotionally, early harass annoys him way too much. Still can't win against MC. That warp prism, 4 sentry drop, force field on ramp must have pissed him off pretty badly. Gonna see more zergs splitting their army in the base and the nat to deal with that. -.- Hope it doesn't get popular on ladder.
Big Zerg names lost to Naniwa for the same reason Naniwa lost in the finals. Crazy how even pros get deadset on what "works." Then a 16 year old zerg with his first international, takes full advantage of FFE weakness and takes 4 games in a row.
There were more seeded terrans than all races, and some really big terrans in the open bracket. Terran play was pretty disappointing. Expected MVP to do a bit better than he did.

Last edited by shlver : 11-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Maniak
Warm Winds

Quote:
Idra played some crazy matches against Nestea. His ZvZ is pretty damn good. Although he plays too emotionally, early harass annoys him way too much. Still can't win against MC. That warp prism, 4 sentry drop, force field on ramp must have pissed him off. Gonna see more zergs splitting their army in the base and the nat to deal with that. -.- Hope it doesn't get popular on ladder.

Idra is a bit too emotional and probably a bit too much of an overthinker.

As far as that play goes, it just means you gotta make more turrets or whatever. Also, means you'll have to scout more. You might see it more on ladder, but I don't think it'll ever get nerfed or anything. Its not gamebreaking, and is just a strategy that people need to learn to counter.

Quote:
Big Zerg names lost to Naniwa for the same reason Naniwa lost in the finals. Crazy how even pros get deadset on what "works." Then a 16 year old zerg with his first international, takes full advantage of FFE weakness and takes 4 games in a row.

I didn't watch all the finals games, but I don't know why naniwa kept on FFE'ing.

Quote:
There were more seeded terrans than all races, and some really big terrans in the open bracket. Terran play was pretty disappointing as well. Expected MVP to do a bit better than he did.

Terrans just under-performed. I really thought we'd be seeing MVP in the finals.

I like how guys like Stephano and white-ra opted out of attending. I know that the structure for next year will be different as far as the bracket goes, and its needed. The fact that someone can play like 7 different people and win it all while someone else has to play like 15? Ridiculous. Can't wait to see how they redesign it.

You play sc2? Probably not NA server, I'm guessing.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Idra is a bit too emotional and probably a bit too much of an overthinker.

As far as that play goes, it just means you gotta make more turrets or whatever. Also, means you'll have to scout more. You might see it more on ladder, but I don't think it'll ever get nerfed or anything. Its not gamebreaking, and is just a strategy that people need to learn to counter.
The thing is idra scouted that early, had spore crawlers up in his 3rd, and placed in his main and nat. MC just went in between two. Creating more turrets is not very cost effective, imo. Just have to preemptively split your army in case a protoss opts for that strat. It spreads you pretty thin though.

Quote:
I didn't watch all the finals games, but I don't know why naniwa kept on FFE'ing.
Me neither. He used the same FFE,2 base all in on almost every zerg and every zerg didn't punish him by going early roaches, but Leenock did. Still Naniwa did it 4 games in a row.

Quote:
Terrans just under-performed. I really thought we'd be seeing MVP in the finals.
I like how guys like Stephano and white-ra opted out of attending. I know that the structure for next year will be different as far as the bracket goes, and its needed. The fact that someone can play like 7 different people and win it all while someone else has to play like 15? Ridiculous. Can't wait to see how they redesign it.
Coming through the open bracket is brutal. naniwa did it last MLG but it's pretty crazy what Leenock did.
Quote:
You play sc2? Probably not NA server, I'm guessing.
I play on NA, but haven't been playing much of any games lately. MCAT, medical school applications, and working in lab. I'm pretty close to being done with school.

Last edited by shlver : 11-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Maniak
Warm Winds

I really should start playing more. I just prefer to watch it I guess.

Whats your name/character code?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
ballup
Mavs of Fantansy Ball

Looked up Leenock on youtube. First video was him dismantling an early baneling push just by separating his drones around his base and picking the banelings off with a queen.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
Maniak
Warm Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
Looked up Leenock on youtube. First video was him dismantling an early baneling push just by separating his drones around his base and picking the banelings off with a queen.
Yeah he had the best worker split in his ZvZ against....DRG? Yeah. DRG.

It was phenomenal. I hate ZvZ but it was a highlight of all Providence.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Damn it, was that this weekend... I love watching these!
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
ballup
Mavs of Fantansy Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
Yeah he had the best worker split in his ZvZ against....DRG? Yeah. DRG.

It was phenomenal. I hate ZvZ but it was a highlight of all Providence.
Hope highlights are posted on Youtube. If not, I have to depend on a friend's retelling of them.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Maniak
Warm Winds

It probably will be.

I'll throw some game links into this thread.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Maniak
Warm Winds

Or this guy on r/starcraft can beat me to it.

The baneling play is in there, as well as some very funny stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/co...watch_all_the/
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: