Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
jaggedmole
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Bobcats Free Agent Wish List

Now that the whole lockout mess seems like it's gonna be cleared up, we can now start looking onto the season. Who do you all think the Bobcats should try to target in free agency? Given how cheap history has shown us to be, I see two guys I'd like to see us target that may be within reach. Samuel Dalemberth and James Jones. Dalemberth may be problematic since he and Biyombo are essentially the same player. Defensive minded big guys who won't be much help with front court scoring. And Jones should be fairly cheap and is a great outside shooter. Something we could sorely use. Anyway, you guy's thoughts?
jaggedmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Default Re: Bobcats Free Agent Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedmole
Now that the whole lockout mess seems like it's gonna be cleared up, we can now start looking onto the season. Who do you all think the Bobcats should try to target in free agency? Given how cheap history has shown us to be, I see two guys I'd like to see us target that may be within reach. Samuel Dalemberth and James Jones. Dalemberth may be problematic since he and Biyombo are essentially the same player. Defensive minded big guys who won't be much help with front court scoring. And Jones should be fairly cheap and is a great outside shooter. Something we could sorely use. Anyway, you guy's thoughts?

I like both of them. But Biyombo isn't a given for us, is he? So we could use Dalembert. But again, one of them is at the beginning of his career and one of them has been around for a while. That's an age-old dilemma for the Cats. Proven talent that can nudge us higher in the standings vs new-blood--'building'--which guarantees we'll be scraping along the gutter for how many more years??"??? If we can fit Jones in I think that would be good for us.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I doubt we'll do anything big in free agency. If you remember the discussions around the draft, and after we traded away Gerald Wallace, its apparent the FO is going into building mode, so we're going to be relying on the draft for at least another year, which means at least 2-3 more years scraping the gutter.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I doubt we'll do anything big in free agency. If you remember the discussions around the draft, and after we traded away Gerald Wallace, its apparent the FO is going into building mode, so we're going to be relying on the draft for at least another year, which means at least 2-3 more years scraping the gutter.

Free agency will be easier for us next season with the new CBA and the cap space we will have. Also Diop will be an expiring which will make him valuable in a trade.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

I'm not doing much in the way of keeping up on any news. Would one of you be kind enough to give me a brief synopsis of the new contract?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
I'm not doing much in the way of keeping up on any news. Would one of you be kind enough to give me a brief synopsis of the new contract?

Spectre needs to get in here and give us a synopsis.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Free agency will be easier for us next season with the new CBA and the cap space we will have. Also Diop will be an expiring which will make him valuable in a trade.

Diop valuable???
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

For the next couple of years nothing really changed. Main thing was a tweaking of the Mid Level Exception (MLE) at the tax paying level. Those above can only use 3 million over 2 or 3 years while those below has the 5 million exception for a year longer.

I do think there's a phasing in period of the BRI (basketball related income) and the players will get significantly less this year...ultimately hitting around 50%.

In year 3 and ahead the penalty for going over the tax starts increasing depending on high you're over and how consistently; I think it gets upwards of 2:1.

Honestly IMO...all that really happened was that the owners got a bigger share of the pie. I've seen estimates that might mean upwards of 10 million more in MJ's warchest.

A separate note is revenue sharing amongst the teams, which we haven't heard any details yet other than it could increase to another 10 million for small teams like us.

With Cho on board these extra monies should at least get us near to black ink territory...and that's a big help.

When the thing gets nailed down I'll post it.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Derrick Brown headed back to Bobcats

Heh, I don't really think Derrick would be on any "wish list"...but as a FA signing this touches on part of the OP!
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Derrick Brown headed back to Bobcats

Heh, I don't really think Derrick would be on any "wish list"...but as a FA signing this touches on part of the OP!

He'll be a nice backup to Magette at the 3.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: