Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default If I were GM

This is in response to Clutch's question "What would you have done if you were there instead of Grunwald"

Bare with me. In all seriousness, I readily admit I think inside my own, sports ridden head, that I could be a GM.I actually have convinced some ppl I'd do a decent job.I am more than aware it takes a lot more than any of us think. It's always been a dream of mine.My "dream job" so to speak. When ppl were dreaming of being doctors,lawyers,cops,the president etc. I wanted to be a GM.I love the game and I knew @ 5'8", me being a pro was a longshot.My elder family members will tell you stories of how I knew detailed player stats when I was 3 years old. Why am I telling you all this? Well because even thought I know my dream would never come true, and if it did, I'd probably be in way over my head, I find it disturbing that I regularly see obvious things that professionals, getting paid tons of money, dont. I can break down what would have been my shortened offseason. You guys let me know how you would have felt as fans. Would the team be better off with me or this guy. Would you have fired me,applauded me etc.Feel free to add your own. I'd love to critique your mock GM decisions too.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Clutch
NBA Legend

Default Re: If I were GM

Being a GM is my dream too.But like you say it's a tough job and not everybody can handle it well.

I'm also not happy because we paid Chandler $58 mil but I'm happy that we finally found a good center.
I know signing Tyson wasn't the only move we could made so I asked you for your opinion on the situation.
I asked you "what would you do" to see your vision and could we be better with those moves made instead of signing Chandler.

So could you tell us what your off-season plan would be ? You don't have to write a 500 word essay,just write it as shortly as you can.

Just break down your off-season and I will tell you what I think about it.
Maybe I'll like it more than the current one.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

#1 I would amnesty Billups. I like Chauncey, and his expirer is valuable, but the new amnesty rule certainly changes alot of things.

#2 I would have gotten a cheap,but competent, pg. We all know my #1 choice would have been Sebastian,but he's not the only option.

#3 I would have signed 3 big men and none of them would be named Jared Jeffries. I would have gotten the Ajinca kid for cheap. I would have offered Wilcox just over the vet min to lure him away from Boston. Although I said previously I'd want Kwame,given the overpaying that's been taking place this offseason, I think he'll be too costly.

#4 I would have made a reasonable offer to Shawne Williams. Not gonna break the bank for the guy. I'd offer 3-4 mill.

#5 I would have found someone to take Turiaf and Rautins off my hands. Probably would have went the same route as we did by calling the Wizards. They always take on dumb contracts.

#6 I would have insisted the firing of D'Antoni.Beyond his obvious flaws, let's face it,we haven't brought in guys that compliment his system.Woodson would be interim coach.

#7 I would have gauged the market for Dalembert's market value. Let's face it,if Dalembert has a better season than Tyson Chandler,it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

#8 I would have offered a 3 year 6 mill contract to James Jones to see if he bites.Probably not but worth a shot.

#9 After signing my picks obviously, I'd inform Iman Shumpert that he'll be a point guard instead of shooting guard. Iman could be a pretty good shooting guard if he develops. He could be a gr8 pg if taught properly. As a sg,he fits the mold. As a pg,he explodes the mold. A 6'5" pg with strength and athleticsm. Could be something special.

#10 I would have shopped Douglas. He sucks. Self explanatory.

My potential roster:
Telfair
Fields
Melo
Amare
Dalembert

Shumpert
James Jones
Shawne Williams
Jerome Jordan
Alexis Ajinca

Bill Walker
Renaldo Balkman
Derrick Brown
Old 12-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize

My potential roster:
Telfair / Shumpert
Fields / Walker
Melo / Jones / Brown
Amare / Williams
Dalembert / Jordan / Ajinca

On the paper this team looks good. We added size,defense and rebounding. We also added a shooter in James Jones and signed a solid point guard in Telfair.
But I have some problems with it. Dalembert may not be a good fit. I know he is a great shot blocker and rebounder but he also has a tough personality.
He may be angry if he doesn't get the ball enough and quit on defense because of that (it wouldn't be the first time that happened).Also it's a question how much we would have to pay him. I see so many crazy offers for centers around the league,what would you do if he asked $10 mil. and you couldn't sign him cheaper than that ?

Also I don't think James Jones would come here. He is probably happy in Miami.

I like the idea of putting Shumpert at the PG.
Also I like the idea of getting rid of D'Antoni

You will get a pass from me. Like I said,this team looks good on paper but I don't think we could sign Jones and I think we would have to overpay for Dalembert (who I think is a bad fit) just like we did for Chandler.

But maybe you are right.Maybe this team would be better than what we have now.Too bad we'll never find out.

Props for writing all of this. It surely took you much time.
Try to candidate for the Magic GM,even though you have never worked in a club before you can't be any worse than Otis Smith
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
On the paper this team looks good. We added size,defense and rebounding. We also added a shooter in James Jones and signed a solid point guard in Telfair.
But I have some problems with it. Dalembert may not be a good fit. I know he is a great shot blocker and rebounder but he also has a tough personality.
He may be angry if he doesn't get the ball enough and quit on defense because of that (it wouldn't be the first time that happened).Also it's a question how much we would have to pay him. I see so many crazy offers for centers around the league,what would you do if he asked $10 mil. and you couldn't sign him cheaper than that ?

Also I don't think James Jones would come here. He is probably happy in Miami.

I like the idea of putting Shumpert at the PG.
Also I like the idea of getting rid of D'Antoni

You will get a pass from me. Like I said,this team looks good on paper but I don't think we could sign Jones and I think we would have to overpay for Dalembert (who I think is a bad fit) just like we did for Chandler.

But maybe you are right.Maybe this team would be better than what we have now.Too bad we'll never find out.

Props for writing all of this. It surely took you much time.
Try to candidate for the Magic GM,even though you have never worked in a club before you can't be any worse than Otis Smith

Well Im actually surprised James Jones re-signed. If you remember, he played well in the ECF,had a minor injury, then got benched. It was publicized that he was pretty pissed.

As for Dalembert,I would think he'd know he's here to be a defensive presence, as with any team he goes to. However, I wouldnt break the bank for him as there are other cheaper options.Wouldnt mind getting a guy Ryan Hollins,who finally is comng into his own.I think he's everything ppl expect Jared Jeffries to be lol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: