Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Legends66NBA7
Face Of Death

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Dwane Casey put a 1300-lb boulder in the Raptors locker room

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/...rn=nba-wp12469

Quote:
For more than a decade, the San Antonio Spurs have stayed near the top of the NBA on the strength of their professionalism and hard work. One of their inspirations during that time has been the following quote by the Danish-American social reformer and activist Jacob Riis: "When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

The idea is a simple one: that if a team trusts it's process, eventually they'll get their desired outcome, even if it doesn't seem likely at any one point. It encapsulates Gregg Popovich's approach to the game and also helps explain why the Spurs have been so steady over the years. It even inspired the name of one of the most notable blogs covering the team.

In a league of copycats, many coaches have introduced the quote to their own teams, including Popovich disciple Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers. But none have gone as far as new Toronto Raptors coach Dwane Casey, who literally keeps a giant boulder in his office. From the Associated Press:

"A 1,300-pound boulder sits just inside the front door to the Toronto Raptors' dressing room, a reminder of the mentality Dwane Casey is trying to instill in his new team. Heading into what the Raptors coach is calling a "building" season, Casey has introduced a new motto: Pound the Rock.

"I knew we were going to be a work in progress, every time we walked on the floor we were going to have to have something to get us to think about … how we have to get better, we've got to work to get better," Casey said this week. "It's from a story about a stonecutter. Every time a stonecutter hits a rock it may not break. You may have to hit it 100 times but on that 101st time you hit it, now you crack the rock." [...]

Raptors employee Graeme McIntosh was sent out to find the stone that stands about 3 feet tall, snapping a photo on his phone and sending it to Casey for approval. The stone, which cost about $500, was then washed and shipped to Air Canada Centre.

It might seem ridiculous that the Raptors would put a real boulder in the locker room, but Jon Gruden put a large piece of granite in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' locker room during their Super Bowl season of 2002. While the Spurs have proven that it's possible to get the point across without a physical demonstration, it's nice that Casey made everything so clear. Metaphors can be tricky sometimes.

It's as yet unclear how much this motto will mean to the Raptors, but it's easy to admire their excitement in the early going. Plus, they made sure to buy local. I guess the NBA really does care about local communities.

Motivation.

Last edited by Legends66NBA7 : 12-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Dwane Casey put a 1300-lb boulder in the Raptors locker room

He had to put the actual boulder in there so boneheads like Bargnani wouldn't lose anything in translation. But all joking aside, I absolutely love that quote and that concept.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

that is actually a great quote and i dint know the spurs and popovich used that analogy. This is exactly the mentality this team needs. I am sure this will make a big impact on guys like DD, Ed Davis and our future Center thats in Europe right now. I think this will also have a positive impact on Calderon. However I am not sure if Bargnani is someone this quote will ever apply to. Ever. He is just a very weak player both physically and mentally.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
that is actually a great quote and i dint know the spurs and popovich used that analogy. This is exactly the mentality this team needs. I am sure this will make a big impact on guys like DD, Ed Davis and our future Center thats in Europe right now. I think this will also have a positive impact on Calderon. However I am not sure if Bargnani is someone this quote will ever apply to. Ever. He is just a very weak player both physically and mentally.

maybe not fully but i may have shed a tear when he chased a loose ball to try and save it from going out in the 3rd against cleveland
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

also, great quote, but Jacob Riis was a racist
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
also, great quote, but Jacob Riis was a racist

Haven't seen you much around this territory in a while!
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Haven't seen you much around this territory in a while!

yea, the lockout pretty much killed the activity in the raps forum, was hanging around in the NBA forum

we need to bring the forum back to the air rasho days hahaha
Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
yea, the lockout pretty much killed the activity in the raps forum, was hanging around in the NBA forum

we need to bring the forum back to the air rasho days hahaha
itll be live soon enough
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Surprisingly the Raptors defense has actually been good. They are finally holding teams to below 100 points. Only problem is the offense and rebounding, which doesn't looks like its going to be any different anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ed Davis is gone sometime soon. He is really struggling, but has good value with other teams because of his youth. Casey doesn't want Andrea touching any 5 men at all. He likes a center vs center matchup which will limit Davis' minutes.

Andrea looks a bit stronger down in the post. A lot better from last year and his loftiness.

Derozan has hit as many 3 point shots this year as he hit last year. He's put in quite a bit of work. Ball-handling next for Demar?
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: