Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Amir Johnson

Ready to give this guy some props. I still wouldn't say he's worth his contract but he has stepped up his game. He's still an energy guy, BUT I would say his defense and his basketball IQ has improved significantly. There was a time when he couldn't stay on the floor because of picking up multiple quick fouls. Now i'd almost say he's like our Anderson Varejao wild card type of player who specializes in defense/rebounding and energy. Also, despite me wanting us to get a high draft pick, I love what Casey seems to have been able to do for this team. They seem to be playing inspired basketball.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Amir Johnson

I think he is close to being worth his contract. He'll be making what? $6.5 million on average over the next couple years? That's not bad. I still wouldn't want him starting if my goal is to build a great team though. He'd be a great 6th man backing up both PF and C and playing 25-28 minutes per game in an ideal situation IMO.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

It's not bad based on the way he's playing currently.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think he is close to being worth his contract. He'll be making what? $6.5 million on average over the next couple years? That's not bad. I still wouldn't want him starting if my goal is to build a great team though. He'd be a great 6th man backing up both PF and C and playing 25-28 minutes per game in an ideal situation IMO.

I'm alright with paying him about that much. There's much, much worse out there that's for sure. A guy who plays 25-30 mins off the bench, gets you 8/8 shooting close to 60%.. not too shabby. Plus his D on Love and overall awareness on the court tonight was impressive.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I think Amir was fine last year too. Limited offensively, very active, very good on the boards and defense. Sometimes gives a bit too much and picks up fouls. I don't see much difference from last year other than the fact he's getting a bit more playing time. He gives you the production but inconsistency of a very good bench player.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

I've always like Amir. His first year with the Raptors he was immediately the best defensive player on the team. Ideally, he'd be the first big off the bench. When he first came to the team, I thought he was going to ride the bench, but the injury to Reggie Evans gave him an opportunity and he took it.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

He's actually not getting that much more PT though. Last year he was at 25.7 and this year he's at 27.9, so I don't tend to think those 2 minutes are making that huge of a difference. And in fact his stats haven't really improved, so it's not even a numbers thing. It's when those minutes are coming, i.e. durirng crucial moments in the game and the fact that he can stay on the court against better players without fouling out.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
barkleynash
High School Varsity 6th Man

so do you keep amir or Ed Davis when Val comes in next year, or do you give keep all 4 posts. I can't help but to think a Val/bargs/amir post combination would be very complimentary. Amir and bargs are playing well together. I'm a little worried about Davis though, as he may be the odd man out. I think the raps could package him with a guy like Barbosa at the trade deadline, to maybe upgrade their team. I have no problem with them keeping nearly their whole roster intact for next year.
Draft the best pg or 3 man they can get and see where they go.

How bout Ed Davis for Bledsoe. Seems fair.
Raps could then trade Barbosa for some young assets and play Bayless at the 2 spot.

I'm sure the lakers wouldn't mind taking Barbosa for the Trade Exception in the Odom deal. Not sure what the raps would do with it though.
Not that I like the lakers, but Barbosa would really help that team off the bench.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

That depends on who you draft. If the Raptors luck out and somehow get #1, at this point you have take Anthony Davis. If that happened, I say you go with Valanciunas and Davis as your frontcourt of the future. Look trade Bargnani and Ed. Keep Amir as the backup.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: