Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Default Left hand baseline drive

Hi guys

what is your strategy on this? Yesterday I drove towards the left hand baseline and I did a floater using my right hand and got blocked from the side.

Another instance on fast break I drove left, used left hand layup but still got blocked from the defender coming from right. From what I think I got blocked because even tho I still used left hand I did not use my body to shield my the ball from defender?

So now,

1. I am practicing using body and finishin with left hand.
2. Other option is to baseline left hand drive but spin and finish with right hand.

Thoughts anyone?
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

Default Re: Left hand baseline drive

It depends on the defender, you have to adjust. I'm undersized so I get blocked when I go in if I do get position. I do best when I go deep and try to get the ball to the back board so I can put on there before the defender gets to it.

Are you getting blocked by smaller defenders? Are you a smaller player?
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Kiarip
High School Starter

if you're driving baseline safest shot is the reverse if you can get that far, and you're good with it.

if you're driving left the easiest reverse is the one with the right, and if you're driving right the easiest reverse is with the left.

If you can't shoot the reverse I still suggest the opposite hand and shoot it off the backboard, or a high floater. But in general most of the time if you got to drive down the baseline you can probably go in for the reverse, and you should.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
jlitt
Decent playground baller

The key to stop getting blocked is to initiate the contact on a layup. This works for players of all size. ONce you've bumped your defneder he is no longer balanced to jump and attempt a block, he is frozen and you have a clear path to the rim.
jlitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Pushxx
Pushxx

If you're undersized, that makes speed and quick judgment all the more important in the paint. Once you go for the reverse you only have a split second to squeeze it up before the defense can recover.

When you're in the paint, know where you can pass it if you've drawn help or at least know the safe path out of the paint.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Ur right pushxx, contact is definitely the way to go. But jlitt's right too gotta use reverse as well in some cases. Although it is kinda hard to finish with left hand when there's contact, need to practice this.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Could also try finishing with your right hand on the opposite side. You're using the basket for protection plus you're still using your dominant hand. Haven't used it to often, because I usually don't find myself in the position to, but it's worked well for me when I do.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Kiarip
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Could also try finishing with your right hand on the opposite side. You're using the basket for protection plus you're still using your dominant hand. Haven't used it to often, because I usually don't find myself in the position to, but it's worked well for me when I do.

this, reverse reverse reverse... it's one of the easiest lay-ups to make, you can use your dominant hand for it when you're driving with off-hand, which is a plus, and it also gives the best opportunity for your teammate to get the offensive rebound, because once you're under the basket the bigs are generally switched onto you.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

In terms of driving the left baseline, I echo the sentiments behind suggesting a reverse. I'd say one of the last things you probably want to do from either baseline is attempt a floater. I'd probably say the reverse may be the most common and effective finish under duress from the left baseline.

Just as important, I say do not feel as though you're obligated to throw up a shot once you're down there. A defense must always collapse when a player is at the rim, thus opening up teammates. I like the way Steve Nash is not afraid of dribbling along the baseline, through the baseline, under the rim, and out the other side if nothing's there. Patience can be very important.

I'd also suggest attempting to square your shoulders to the backboard on your takeoff when not opting for a reverse. When you're anticipating contact and elevate from the baseline with your shoulders facing the basket, you're asking for a clean and easy contest from the defense. Squaring toward the board will at least place a significant portion of your body between the defender and the ball.

In regards to the fast break scenario (which sounds like it's not coming from the extreme baseline; rather, just left of the hoop) I'd recommend experimenting to discover any effective way to put the ball in the rim. It'll sound counter-intuitive to how we're coached throughout our school years, but I do not object to using the right hand on the left side of the hoop.

For years, I tried to always use my left on the left side of the rim, but no matter how much I practiced, my right-foot, left-hand takeoffs were always weaker and less effective. Subsequently, I was often tentative on one entire side of the court. After watching a fair share of Grant Hill and Latrell Sprewell, I discovered and decided it's alright to attack as hard as possible and finish in the strongest manner possible, from anywhere.

Therefore, I don't believe it's always necessary to be on the right side of the hoop to use the right hand. Often, going up with my right on the left side allows me flexibility and an ability to get to the rim that trying to finish with my left would not. Many scoff, but personally, I'm trying to use my right hand whenever humanly possible and over the years I've had absolutely tremendous results. The left hand must still be ready and able when I need it, but finishing the most effective way possible is where it's at.

Also, don't forget your Euro-step. If you don't have one, get one. If you're not someone who's going to out-jump or out-leap your competition (and to be frank, even if you are) the Euro- is a great tool to have in the front pocket.

Finally, to semi-echo what others have said: Yes, don't be afraid of contact. However, I'm not sure I agree you should go in looking to make contact first. By that I mean, I've known some folks over the years who drive into a busy paint and place initiating contact over finishing the shot in terms of priorities. Instead, I suggest attacking the rim with a purpose and plan for contact (while not necessarily going out of your way to look for it). When I drive, my plan is to get to the rack and if anyone's in my way, they're taking a hit. If on the off chance, they have stationary charge-taking position, I alter my plans. Otherwise, I'm going in there ready to confront anyone willing to contest. The more one tries to avoid a shot-blocker, the more space it allows the defender to make a play. One must confront the situation, not run away from it.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlitt
The key to stop getting blocked is to initiate the contact on a layup. This works for players of all size. ONce you've bumped your defneder he is no longer balanced to jump and attempt a block, he is frozen and you have a clear path to the rim.

+1

Absorb the contact of your defender on the ground and then jump and make your move. Only time I get blocked now after learning this is from help defenders which you can't do anything about except pass to the man they left open.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
SourPatchKids
Banned

Jab right to free up the baseline. Also use hesitations if your not a lot quicker than the defender.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: