Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Default Minutes???

I will say I liked Shumpert coming in off of the bench and creating steals and locking people up. Where is he going to get his minutes now when Baron Davis comes back? If Shump wins the slam dunk MSG would want to see him in the game. Do we cut Bib or Douglas? Douglas is the odd man out. We went from no bench to this: JR, B Diddy, Shump, Jefferies, Novac, Walker We have to keep hustlers Harrelson and Balkman. We have to keep J Jordan because he's a center. The bench provides a different look with two very good defensive players.

Last edited by Pointguard : 02-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Pointguard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Minutes???

I like the idea of JR next to Shumpert in the second unit. Shumpert is great with steals and the Knicks can really open things up with JR and Novack bombing away. Jeffries will help with the D on and Walker is our wild card. The second unit is pretty good but energy and spacing will be great. If the shooters get hot they might finish the game, depending on circumstance.

Baron Davis is becoming a hard fit.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Not gonna be a popular opinion around here, but I would move Landry to back up SF, and use Shumpert and Smith as the SGs. It's pretty safe to say that Bill Walker's minutes are gone, except maybe in a blowout. Bibby's too.

I like JR Smith here. I don't expect Lin to be putting up 25+ a game for the rest of the year. I think he is more of a 12-15 point scorer, but as long as he is distributing, our offense will flow really, really well. 120-130 points will be a lot more common than those 80 point stinkers were were doing.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I think Fields plays best with Lin. While I think Smith and Shumpert are better, I think thats gotta be taken into account. I wouldnt mind seeing a backcourt of Shumpert and Smith play solid reserve role minutes.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I think Fields plays best with Lin. While I think Smith and Shumpert are better, I think thats gotta be taken into account. I wouldnt mind seeing a backcourt of Shumpert and Smith play solid reserve role minutes.

Why do people think Lin and Fields are this magical combo? In the 3 games before Lin started, Landry went for 18, 17, and 11. In the 7 games he has played with Lin, he has four games under 10 points. The best game he had with Lin was against Minnesota. The game last night doesn't count. The Kings were pure trash.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

The problem I see is that Shumpert and Smith play the same position. So if you're starting Lin/Fields/Melo, which you should, and you want to bring Shumpert and Smith off the bench together, then you have to play Shumpert at the one, and he's definitely not a point guard. So you'd have to slide them both up a spot, but I'd like to see Novak get significant minutes off the bench, and he needs a facilitator to catch him for spot ups which we wouldn't have between Shumpert and Smith.

They need a back up point guard with a pulse and a brain.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
The problem I see is that Shumpert and Smith play the same position. So if you're starting Lin/Fields/Melo, which you should, and you want to bring Shumpert and Smith off the bench together, then you have to play Shumpert at the one, and he's definitely not a point guard. So you'd have to slide them both up a spot, but I'd like to see Novak get significant minutes off the bench, and he needs a facilitator to catch him for spot ups which we wouldn't have between Shumpert and Smith.

They need a back up point guard with a pulse and a brain.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

So I guess the full second unit would be Boom/Shumpert/Smith/Novak/Jeffries.

Could work.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Sarcastic

That's a solid 10 players we got now. In a shortened season with injuries, having tons of depth will be crucial.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
That's a solid 10 players we got now. In a shortened season with injuries, having tons of depth will be crucial.
Yeah, I think thats where all of this ends up. With good bench contributions we can make up the five games to get the 4/5 seed. Outside of Bulls/Heat, this season is going to catch at least two teams ahead of us now. I think we were already caught. Atlanta/Orlando is going to catch a loosing streak in there somewhere because of their lack of bench. Indiana is going thru the drought now. Boston showed affects of a long season last year. Doug Collins really knows how to substitute so I don't know if we will catch Philly.

D'Antoni will have to be good like Doug Collins.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
So I guess the full second unit would be Boom/Shumpert/Smith/Novak/Jeffries.

Could work.
Yeah, JR can guard second string SF's I guess - didn't see him much last year. But that works.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
bluechox2
#knickstape

we went from no depth to super depth in a span of 2 weeks
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

When Shump runs the point it becomes a perimeter team with no penetration. Luckily last game Walker got hot and the Kings are terrible but against a better team that 2nd unit would have gotten destroyed.

With that said I dont think Melo and Stat will be off the floor at the same time too often.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #14
Pointguard
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
When Shump runs the point it becomes a perimeter team with no penetration. Luckily last game Walker got hot and the Kings are terrible but against a better team that 2nd unit would have gotten destroyed.

With that said I dont think Melo and Stat will be off the floor at the same time too often.
Yeah the second unit will usually see a post game from Mello or Stat so penetration or inside game will usually be in effect.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

i don't think Shumpert played that poorly to where he can't run the point as a backup. The main job of a bench is to help out and not screw up leads or add to deficits. It's not like we're asking Shump to be Magic Johnson.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: