Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default Jose Calderon

Lot's of trade buzz around Jose lately. Now is the time that we would probably get the most in return because of his unbelievable play of late (Averaging 16 & 11 during the last 11 games). He is almost playing at the level that got him that contract extension 5 years ago.

How do you guys feel about moving Jose at this point? I have been one of his most critical supporters over the years, although he has been one of the only reasons I have been able to watch games this season. He has so much passion and leaves it all on the floor. If he was a better defender he would be considered one of the elite point guards of the league.

He has great court vision which makes him a great passer. He keeps the turnovers down, he is great shooter and he scores on good percentages.

But if we were to trade him, what kind of return would you expect coming back our way? Keep in mind he`s in his last year of his contract and making 10 million a year.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Jose Calderon

I would expect a mid 1st rounder, or someone with decent potential who's not getting run with current team.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Agreed with Skywalker. Maybe a mid first + prospect if there is enough interest (and a bidding war starts).

It would suck to see a guy like Jose go. He has his flaws, but I feel he's the ultimate teammate/professional. Huge passion for the game. It's just unfortunate the situation he is in. I hope if he does get traded, he finds success.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

If Alex Anthopoulos was the GM, the Raptors would already have Evan Turner.

Ok, a recent #2 pick is definitely too much to ask for regardless of how poorly he is playing. But it would be nice if the Raptors could pry away a similar talent that is buried behind better players. Either way, the Raptors should be looking to deal Calderon. I like the guy and he's been a damn productive player for a while now but let's face it, he's 30 years old and the Raptors are not close to contending. If/when they will be, he's not going to be a part of it. His value is as high as it has been in years and the Raptors need to cash in. Also, it helps the tanking effort for this season.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

The guy is really playing great ball.
The only criticism I have is that he doesn't look for his shot enough.
When you shoot that well, you should shoot more.

The only downside to trading him is you lose a positive influence on the younger players and you lose a guy who can make those younger players better. Just think of how much easier it will be for Val to develop offensively with Jose running the point. That said, you have to sell high on him. His value is as high as it will get so take advantage before he pulls his groin.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded over the all-star weekend.

I don't think we can get that much in return though.
First think about what teams need a pg right now and which ones are a good match for him.

Team probably interested
LA
Sacramento
Portland
Utah

Teams maybe interested
Milwaukee
Detroit
Orlando
Atlanta
Miami

There's really not a lot to work with there when you consider who these teams would be willing to give back.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

trade him for wes matthews, derrick favours or jeff teague from those teams
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
trade him for wes matthews, derrick favours or jeff teague from those teams

Utah would laugh hysterically at us asking for Favours.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Himan12
On the clouds

Trade him for picks. My biggest fear right now is BC decides to keep him and screws up the tank. (Brags I can understand keeping but no excuses holding onto barbosa/calderon)
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Unfortunately with Bargnani playing well before the injury, I think BC will hold off on pulling the trigger on a Calderon/Barbosa deal for a bit. If the Raps resemble anything close to a .500 team with a full roster, I could see BC getting caught up in keeping his job and keeping the vets for next year (in order to make an ill-fated playoff push). With no point guard really at the Raps slot in the draft, I would be surprised to see Jose dealt in order to help the youth movement, which would be a shame because despite the flak he gets, I think he's done a good job thus far in the rebuilding process (other than getting us into this situation in the first place )
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: