Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
DeathOfAutotune
I airball my layups

DeathOfAutotune has an OK reputation so far
Default Derozan

I remember paying attention to the draft that year so closely. I really wanted Demar on the Raps. I was so happy when they drafted him.

I remember they kept saying he had the most potential in that draft but he was very raw and drafting him would be a risk.

I don't know if it is the coaching or what, but he hasn't developed into the player I thought he would be.

I know he is still young, but he still lacks that ability to create for himself off the dribble and he lacks the killer instinct that a Vince Carter-esque wing has.

I dont know. What do you guys think about Demar Derozan?
DeathOfAutotune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Derozan

He can't shoot and he can't dribble. Two fatal flaws for an SG.

I also liked the pick when it happened but I was hoping we'd see more of the good mid-range shooting that he had at USC and development in his playmaking. Right now, he's a below-average player who doesn't give you anything unless he is having a good shooting night from the perimeter (rare).

With his poor play and glaring flaws, he is not a player that I would be adamant about keeping around for the future. If an SG happens to be the best pick available for the Raptors in the draft, a player like Derozan shouldn't stop you from taking them. Derozan will be around for one more year and we'll see what he's got. By the end of next year, we'll see exactly what kind of player he will be going forward. If he continues to play poorly, the Raptors will let him walk.

Who am I kidding? Colangelo probably already has the 5 year $50 million contract ready.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 03-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
DeathOfAutotune
I airball my layups

Kind of sad. Seems Toronto sports teams can't get anything right.

Going to be an interesting offseason.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Who am I kidding? Colangelo probably already has the 5 year $50 million contract ready.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Have you guys noticed any notable growth in his game from last year? To me he still seems the same player but all his stats have gotten worse this year (presumably from having the spotlight and defenses foused on him). After last year I thought he'd average about 20 ppg on decent percentages but it just hasn't happened. I never expected this guy to be a great 3 point shooter or even playmaker but he hasn't even gotten other things down yet either.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
DeathOfAutotune
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Have you guys noticed any notable growth in his game from last year? To me he still seems the same player but all his stats have gotten worse this year (presumably from having the spotlight and defenses foused on him). After last year I thought he'd average about 20 ppg on decent percentages but it just hasn't happened. I never expected this guy to be a great 3 point shooter or even playmaker but he hasn't even gotten other things down yet either.

Exactly. To be honest he has been a disappointment.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

IMO hes got to get a lot stronger to keep up with a lot of these SGs and also contribute on the glass. I'd have to agree that hes the same player he was last year, except he can somewhat shoot the 3 this year.

His shot isn't falling this year, but I'm still really confident in his midrange game.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I remember I said he had the potential to be a poor man's Rudy Gay. How I feel about that now? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObtRQBq-QI
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

His game still needs significant developments. He lacks consistency from the perimeter and that's not something that goes well, especially in this day and age where its all about the perimeter player.

To me, he could end up as a flashy player going from team to team and performing inconsistently if he doesn't develop his shooting game and his dribbling skills as well.

It's a shame. I really liked him out of college and thought he could do big things for the Raps. It was nice to see a non-Euro be drafted.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

He's still a work in progress but his window with us is coming short. The positives you can pull out this year is he's learning how to execute better on offense. You can see he's making better cuts/curls, and he knows where he should be. He's also playing better defense. Seriously...those years under Triano did him no good other than boost his confidence. You could see early in the season when he was struggling out there he looked like a college freshman trying to figure out the system.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think all in all, it's hard for a young guy to reach his full potential when he jumps into a losing structure from day one and his coaches/teammmates change frequently on a year to year basis. On one hand you could say that he'll probably see a lot more minutes on this team than he would on a team with championship aspirations. But on the other hand, he can't really find his niche because of the aforementioned reasons. And I think he'd be better in a James Harden type of 6th man role, he may even excel in something like that with the right teammates around him.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I think all in all, it's hard for a young guy to reach his full potential when he jumps into a losing structure from day one and his coaches/teammmates change frequently on a year to year basis. On one hand you could say that he'll probably see a lot more minutes on this team than he would on a team with championship aspirations. But on the other hand, he can't really find his niche because of the aforementioned reasons. And I think he'd be better in a James Harden type of 6th man role, he may even excel in something like that with the right teammates around him.

Except Harden has a much much more complete game. Even on a day like today when Derozan is shooting well. 8-15 18 points. 2 free throws. 1 rebound. 0 assists.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Except Harden has a much much more complete game. Even on a day like today when Derozan is shooting well. 8-15 18 points. 2 free throws. 1 rebound. 0 assists.
And that's the main problem with the Raptors. The two players who are supposed to be the "best" players (or at least the primary scoring options) only have good games when their jumpers are on. When the jump shot is off, they can't do anything else at even an average level and thus become useless on the floor.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
The point of what I was trying to say isn't that he's an equal talent to Harden.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
The point of what I was trying to say isn't that he's an equal talent to Harden.

And the point I was trying to make is that the 6th man type of player you're envisioning: James Harden, Manu Ginobolli, isn't a player that just comes off the bench to score 18 point but can also facilitate the offense and make plays for others.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: