Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default 2012 NBA Draft

We have a thread titled Barnes or Kidd-Gilchrist but it makes more sense to have one for the draft.

Current rankings according to Draft Express
1. Davis
2. Drummond
3. Kidd-Gilchrist
4. Robinson
5. Beal
6. Sullinger
7. Barnes
8. Henson
9. Zeller (Cody not Tyler)
10. Jones III

While the order isn't completely accurate I think the top 10 (at least top 7) will be close to above.

Personally I would be pretty happy as long as we get a top 7 pick. I don't want Robinson and I think Drummond is a big gamble but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to select either no matter where we land.

Davis would be amazing. I think Beal, MKG and Barnes make the most sense for us position/need wise. And I would love Sullinger next to Val. One thing that is overlooked is that our front court lacks a lot of weight. Val, Ed, Amir are all pretty light and Bargs plays like he is. Sullinger would give us some much needed muscle.

Of course the other bonus is that Sullinger would open the door for Bargs' exit. Dream scenario if we draft sullinger would be to trade bargs for another top 7 pick. I would love to have Sullinger, Beal and Val join the raps next year. It would likely mean another trip to the lottery but I think it would be worth it.

Last edited by bluerap : 03-31-2012 at 08:57 AM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2012 NBA Draft

Why would you not want Robinson? Guy is a pure BEAST
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm warming up to Beal lately as well as trying to convince myself that both Drummond's and Lamb's physical attributes will carry over well to the NBA.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Why would you not want Robinson? Guy is a pure BEAST

we already have undersized pf's
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Best case scenario assuming the Raps don't get number one and autodraft Davis would be MKG IMO (although his stock is at an all-time high plus he may win the title as a freshman). Although his low-end screams Corey/Ronnie Brewer, his talent level especially at an area of need for the Raps is a pretty good fit.

I like Robinson (game reminds me of a less lengthy Aldridge), shame he's one of the older prospects and fairly polished already. He's got a good motor+physical attributes despite not being the flashiest prospect.

Sullinger would be a lot more intriguing if he were allowed to utilize his long range shot a bit more but it's a bit much to hope that he undergoes that same extreme improvement that Love/Millsap managed to with their jumpers.

I probably overvalue a player's (especially a big) motor which is why I was so high on Val but in the same way that's what worries me about Drummond. At the same time, if Toronto is sitting at 5th and he drops to that slot, you have to take him based on his physical abilities and hope it translates better to a more pick&roll based game with Toronto and less chucking guards (not a huge fan of Lamb either, I'm more skeptical of perimeter oriented players developing into better slashers than vice-versa).

Beal or Barnes are both guys I wouldn't be thrilled/disappointed about drafting around 5-8. Barnes in particular I haven't really soured upon (his disappointing tournament just exemplified weaknesses that everyone already knew that he had), however again it's hard to imagine him figuring out how to attack of the dribble/create his own shot all of a sudden.

Haven't really seen Zeller all season up until the tournament. Anyone have an opinion on him>?
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Drummond reminds me a lot of DeMarcus Cousins. He is definitely worth the gamble at #5. Or we can take a chance on someone like Harrison Barnes who could be another Marvin Williams or at best, Luol Deng.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Drummond reminds me a lot of DeMarcus Cousins. He is definitely worth the gamble at #5. Or we can take a chance on someone like Harrison Barnes who could be another Marvin Williams or at best, Luol Deng.

Only take him if you think he'll end up better than Val imo.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Haven't really seen Zeller all season up until the tournament. Anyone have an opinion on him>?

His game (and size/weight) is very similar to Val. Would be a redundant pick.

Drummond is at least 50% going to be a bust.

The most concerning thing about his game is that he doesn't seem to have a lot of desire (to attack, to improve, to win, etc.)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like Zeller's game a lot but reading about his limited wingspan worries me. Short arms on a big man is a bad thing. He'll probably need to be an incredibly good offensive player to warrant giving him big minutes. I'm not sure he can be that in the NBA.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I worry about the athletic sf types. You better be able to shoot and/or have impressive ball handling abilities. So many guys turn into Marvin Williams, Travis Outlaw types. Its why I wouldn't have taken Derrick Williams no. 2 last year if I was the Wolves. Maybe he'll be good but seems such great bust potential.

I'll admit I don't have the time to watch much college ball, but guys like Barnes and MKG need to have something other then athleticism that will translate to the NBA level.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Barnes is a very good shooter. That is probably his one and only established skill right now. The issue with him is can he do anything else? Can he create offense for himself from the perimeter? Can he be a Danny Granger or will he simply be a Dorrell Wright?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

What are people's thoughts of trading down to get Austin Rivers, assuming the pick is in the 5-8 range? Above average shooter with good handles... the type of game that translates well to the NBA. The knocks on him are maturity and decision making, but possibly having Jose mentor him could work well.

I'd prefer MKG over Barnes, but don't see him slipping to us if we draft at our position. Not sold on Barnes at all; seems like he'll settle for long 2's.

I get the feeling Sullinger will have difficulty at the next level against stronger and faster defenders, although there is appeal to having a workhorse in the paint.

How is Beal's ball handling skills? Does he get to the rim? Haven't seen much of him to be honest.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

The only way I'd take Rivers is if we grabbed him in the 2nd round.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I worry about the athletic sf types. You better be able to shoot and/or have impressive ball handling abilities. So many guys turn into Marvin Williams, Travis Outlaw types. Its why I wouldn't have taken Derrick Williams no. 2 last year if I was the Wolves. Maybe he'll be good but seems such great bust potential.

I'll admit I don't have the time to watch much college ball, but guys like Barnes and MKG need to have something other then athleticism that will translate to the NBA level.

Huge fan of Derrick Williams. He has the drive to win and the tenacity to improve. Thomas Robinson reminds me of that same type of tenacity regardless of his size for the PF position.

I`d be totally stoked to get Robinson, Barnes, Drummond or Kidd. All those kids would be worth the pick. Sullinger would be a nice consolation prize. Guy just gives-er all the time. Wicked motor, long wingspan. Kinda like DeJuan Blair but less black.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I actually like Rivers but I'd only start to consider taking him around pick #10. Too many better overall talents.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: