Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 429
01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Know any advanced layup drills

I have an easy time getting too the basket but it seems like I miss half of my layups. When working on them I'm fine and I usually make them if through contact but when I get by my defender I have a hard time finishing
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Wezuz
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Wezuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 39
Wezuz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Know any advanced layup drills

Same here. I'm mostly a 3 point shooter, and when I get to the hoop through traffic I miss most of the time. Especially from the baseline. I usually try to use the floater from the baseline, and I make it all the time when I'm practicing, but I always miss in games.
Wezuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,160
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Know any advanced layup drills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezuz
Same here. I'm mostly a 3 point shooter, and when I get to the hoop through traffic I miss most of the time. Especially from the baseline. I usually try to use the floater from the baseline, and I make it all the time when I'm practicing, but I always miss in games.
With respect, attempting a floater from the baseline is probably the last thing you want to do. Floaters are difficult shots to begin with, let alone removing the opportunity to use the backboard as a reference point and possible shot-assist. More times than not, it's going to end up looking like this, only without KG on the other side to right the mistake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc55hijZgRs#t=1m37s

Typically, on moves from the baseline where you have decided you're going to set both feet and attempt a layup, I find it to be very advisable to square one's feet to the backboard. Doing so will help with two major factors: 1) It will provide your body with a very solid angle to the backboard, allowing you to go glass for a more accurate finish and 2) It will place your body between the ball and any prospective defender you may encounter. You will be surprised how much more difficult it is for a defender to block a shot on the baseline when one's body is between the basket and the ball. An example of squaring to the window and placing body between man and ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=6m56s

A reverse layup is another solid option for the baseline. It is just important to note that it is to be used as a functional move, not a random showtime exercise. There's a reason to go reverse, as it can often provide open daylight against defenders guarding the front of the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I have an easy time getting too the basket but it seems like I miss half of my layups. When working on them I'm fine and I usually make them if through contact but when I get by my defender I have a hard time finishing
I may need some slight specification. Did you say you usually make your layups through contact? If so, what do you mean you have a tough time finishing after you get by your defender? Meaning you'll lose your defender on the dribble and reach the glass for an open layup, only you'll miss?

I'm not sure I have a ton of drills at the ready for advanced layup finishes. Like anyone else, I can work through numerous layup scenarios when I'm by myself, but the only real way to learn how to make layups through defenders, is to pit oneself against defenders. Even 1-on-1 or games of 21 can be very beneficial in developing the ability to finish, as those are often games where any finish inside will be very contested.

A general rule of thumb regarding layups: attack the basket with a vengeance. There is a direct correlation between the finishing abilities of those who attack the paint ready for contact and those who slide through the lane trying to avoid contact or confrontation at all costs. Unless it appears a help defender will be looking to set up to take a charge, I will attack defenders directly. Layups are much more makeable for me when I shoot them on my own terms. If I try to weave and double pump or run away from a potential shot blocker, suddenly they're dictating what kind of layup I attempt. In contrast, I want to attack them, thus erasing the unknown while cutting down their blocking angle.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 04-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 429
01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Know any advanced layup drills

Rake, when you said square to the basket you got me thinking about what my problem may be. You read it right that I finish better when contact is made or against defense. I think the best defense for me is probably to just get out of my way. I think my problem may be that I focus on the defender and the rim when I go in for a layup and try to bank it in. I may try to start focusing on the upper corner of the box and see if that helps.

It's pretty frustrating when I get so many good drives and I can't finish. Last time I played I scored on two and 1's in a row but missed three layups where the defender pretty much just gave up

Last edited by 01amberfirewv : 04-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Wezuz
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Wezuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 39
Wezuz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Know any advanced layup drills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
With respect, attempting a floater from the baseline is probably the last thing you want to do. Floaters are difficult shots to begin with, let alone removing the opportunity to use the backboard as a reference point and possible shot-assist. More times than not, it's going to end up looking like this, only without KG on the other side to right the mistake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc55hijZgRs#t=1m37s

Typically, on moves from the baseline where you have decided you're going to set both feet and attempt a layup, I find it to be very advisable to square one's feet to the backboard. Doing so will help with two major factors: 1) It will provide your body with a very solid angle to the backboard, allowing you to go glass for a more accurate finish and 2) It will place your body between the ball and any prospective defender you may encounter. You will be surprised how much more difficult it is for a defender to block a shot on the baseline when one's body is between the basket and the ball. An example of squaring to the window and placing body between man and ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=6m56s

A reverse layup is another solid option for the baseline. It is just important to note that it is to be used as a functional move, not a random showtime exercise. There's a reason to go reverse, as it can often provide open daylight against defenders guarding the front of the rim.



Thanks

I will work on that the next time I play pick-up
Wezuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 44,604
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Know any advanced layup drills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FkpN1y_bY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJFc...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Lebron23 : 04-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy