Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default World Peace and Matt Barnes stepping up

LA Daily News:

Now, against all odds, World Peace and Barnes have been reliable contributors.

They were at it again Sunday against Dallas, in the middle of the action and providing points, rebounds, assists and strong defensive play during the Lakers' 112-108 overtime win at Staples Center.

It was just what the Lakers needed in order to win for the fourth consecutive game without an injured Kobe Bryant. World Peace (the former Ron Artest) had 18 points, six rebounds and four assists, and Barnes had 11 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

Default Re: World Peace and Matt Barnes stepping up

Impressive :)
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

With Kobe being out, everyone is going to have an equal opportunity at handling the ball, which in turn, allows everyone to get into rhythm. With Kobe handling the ball, players were expected to be more of catch and shoot guys, or slashers, which isn't their styles. Someone like Artest for example had the ball a lot in Indiana and Sacramento.
Another difference is the way the offense is being used. With Kobe out, now the two big men, Bynum and Gasol, are utilized almost every single time, and that causes a lot of collapsing which creates opportunities for the perimeter players.

Hopefully when Kobe returns, he can utilize the big men the same way others do. He might even average more points than he already is.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
With Kobe being out, everyone is going to have an equal opportunity at handling the ball, which in turn, allows everyone to get into rhythm. With Kobe handling the ball, players were expected to be more of catch and shoot guys, or slashers, which isn't their styles. Someone like Artest for example had the ball a lot in Indiana and Sacramento.
Another difference is the way the offense is being used. With Kobe out, now the two big men, Bynum and Gasol, are utilized almost every single time, and that causes a lot of collapsing which creates opportunities for the perimeter players.

Hopefully when Kobe returns, he can utilize the big men the same way others do. He might even average more points than he already is.

Great points freak
Their most dominating playoff run in the past 2 decades was when Kobe got injured towards the end of the season in 2000-01. He was forced to sit on the bench and learned how much better for the team to move the ball more and accurately read the defense. I think they won their final 8 regular games then went on to sweep Portland, Kings and the Spurs before losing ONE (hardly fought) playoff game vs the Sixers.
Kobe also knew when to take over the game esp when his teammates looked passive and lost particularly game 1 in San Antonio where he dominated the twin towers.
I always felt tho that Kobe treat other games differently.
He is in playoff mode vs top teams, moving the ball more, taking high % shots and takes less than 3 3pt shots and goes wild vs bad teams, forcing the bad shots after bad shots just like games in Denver or the one vs Utah here in LA.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Great points freak
Their most dominating playoff run in the past 2 decades was when Kobe got injured towards the end of the season in 2000-01. He was forced to sit on the bench and learned how much better for the team to move the ball more and accurately read the defense. I think they won their final 8 regular games then went on to sweep Portland, Kings and the Spurs before losing ONE (hardly fought) playoff game vs the Sixers.
Kobe also knew when to take over the game esp when his teammates looked passive and lost particularly game 1 in San Antonio where he dominated the twin towers.
I always felt tho that Kobe treat other games differently.
He is in playoff mode vs top teams, moving the ball more, taking high % shots and takes less than 3 3pt shots and goes wild vs bad teams, forcing the bad shots after bad shots just like games in Denver or the one vs Utah here in LA.

I definitely see your point. Lakers can beat the spurs, but they'll lose to a team like cleveland or charlotte right after lol. If these guys played hard every game, they'd burn out, no question. You have to pick your fights I guess.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Mwp is playing very well.

I think it has some to do with sessions but his body looks in way better shape.

Just the moves he's making and things he's doing.
Has more athleticism
MJ(Mean John) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
fiddy
Ariana Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
Mwp is playing very well.

I think it has some to do with sessions but his body looks in way better shape.

Just the moves he's making and things he's doing.
Has more athleticism
Thats good considering that playoffs are starting very soon. He looked like garbage at the start of the season
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

Now he MWP will miss a couple games due to soon too be suspended.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
Now he MWP will miss a couple games due to soon too be suspended.

I seriously do not think he hit Harden on purpose, I watched the replay a few times in slo mo and I don't see any sign of intent. If anything he should just get 1 game to send a message.....that was no where near as bad as DFish's intentional foul on Scola. Any of you guys ever accidentally nail someone after scoring a basket???
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I seriously do not think he hit Harden on purpose, I watched the replay a few times in slo mo and I don't see any sign of intent. If anything he should just get 1 game to send a message.....that was no where near as bad as DFish's intentional foul on Scola. Any of you guys ever accidentally nail someone after scoring a basket???
How can you not know you just hit someone with your elbow?
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
How can you not know you just hit someone with your elbow?

I don't know how big you are or how strong you are.......but it happens when you are big and strong......even more so when you are pumped up.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year

3 games should be good enough...1 regular + 2 playoffs
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I don't know how big you are or how strong you are.......but it happens when you are big and strong......even more so when you are pumped up.

I agree. Knowing Ron, he probably knew he could have killed Harden that way. I don't think it was intentional. What I would like to know is after the dunk, why is harden running towards ron? Secondly, Ron was already celebrating by the time Harden got there.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

I totally disagree with those of you defending Ron-Ron. The left elbow wasn't a part of his celebration dance. He only swung it when he felt Harden body up on him. It wasn't like Harden ran into him mid-motion: Artest wound up his swing after he had Harden on his shoulder. It's totally inexcusable, and no one should be blaming Harden for "letting" himself get concussed. We're better than that.

Yeah, Ron is a big strong dude, which makes it all the more important that he not elbow another human being in the friggin skull. To illustrate, Bynum's hit on JJB was so egregious because he was so much stronger and bigger than the dude he hit.

We're not in the '80's or '70's, '60's, '50's anymore. Kevin McHale would be kicked out of the game, fined and suspended for what he did to Rambis in '84. Al Horford was suspended in '07 for a clearly accidental hit, and he actually made a legitimate play on the ball.

Throw in Artest's history (which shouldn't be a consideration, but we all know it will be) and I'd be stunned if it were less than four games.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Da Kobester
I brick open layups

Back in the game when the Lakers lost to the rockets, MWP answered to fine ass reporter Lindsay Rhodes that what Bynum did to get ejected when he taunted the rockets bench after a made basket was made out of nothing coz it's just a way of life to trash talk brought up on the hardwood courts of Queens N.Y. Well golly geesh if the name "Ron Ron" giving to you at birth by your mama comparatively speaking wasn't enough of a motivational tool in restoring some Meta World Peace & happiness in your life then why not attempt to relive the past "04" Palace brawl bringing it to staples by giving a blow to head of an opponent and then getting ready to throw some mo!
Da Kobester is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: