Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default White Priviledge

Seeing how the trayvon martin thread has become epic on the OT forum here and otherwise I just thought I should share this interesting wikipedia article with some of the posters here and see what type of reaction I get from the people that actually read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Especially his section on white privilege and the justice system.

Quote:
Justice
This section requires expansion.
A 2002 Department of Justice survey found that, although the likelihood of being stopped by police did not differ significantly between white drivers and other races, black or Latino drivers were three times more likely to be searched than white drivers.[31] Young white offenders are likely to receive lighter punishments than minorities in America. Black youth arrested for drug possession for the first time are incarcerated at a rate that is forty-eight times greater than the rate for white youth.[32][33] Incarceration rates are much higher among blacks and Hispanics than among whites. In 2007, the incarceration rate was 4,618 per 100,000 for black men and 1,747 per 100,000 for Hispanic men, compared to 773 per 100,000 for white men[34]
Author and activist Peggy McIntosh posits that white people in the United States can be sure that race is not a factor when they are audited by the IRS.[35]
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: White Priviledge

Inb4 Racism...oh wait!
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't have drugs on you and it won't be a problem.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Id like like to know the racial weed jailing rate. First time drug posession could be anything. Id like to see it for each drug but I doubt the info is put together.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yeah, too much of those blanket stats are traceable to discrepancies in sentencing for possessing particular drugs (obv coke vs crack is the big one), as well as simple socioeconomic circumstances. blaze is right, you'd need to eliminate all of those additional variables before you start calling an entire justice system racist or not.

of course you can definitely argue the source of certain policies is inherently racist
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Cali Syndicate
Decent college freshman

Cali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Id like like to know the racial weed jailing rate. First time drug posession could be anything. Id like to see it for each drug but I doubt the info is put together.

yeah, the type of drug people are getting caught with obviously matters. Most people won't get locked up for weed possession unless it has suspicion with an intent to sell (baggies, scale, etc...). Possession of crack, coke, ice is a different story.

But white privilege definitely does exist.
Cali Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's the major part about white privilege that many don't comprehend:

Say there's a black student in a math class. This black student just does not seem to understand the math whatsoever. He's difficult to teach, intolerable at times due to attitude problems, speaks with distinguishable slang, etc.

The teacher will obviously have a problem with this student, even if he/she isn't a racist.

Because of this student, every time the teacher encounters another black student in future classes, he/she will immediately assume the student is worthless and won't actually do anything productive in the class, thus causing future students to feel neglect in the classroom.

A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as fuck, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

Now to give you guys a clearer understanding of this:

A few Middle Eastern men hijacked planes and crashed them into buildings on September 11th, 2001. Due to the actions of those idiotic terrorists, anyone and everyone who even looks remotely Middle Eastern must be stopped, searched, mistreated, labelled, etc., in all airports (and even outside of airports) by people with the authority to do so, such as police officers, security guards, etc. Hell, even everyday citizens will and usually do feel uncomfortable around a man (or even woman) wearing a turban.

Understandable? Sure. You can never be too cautious, right?

But then you see what any other white man has done:
- Columbine shooting? 2 preppy white kids.
- Oklahoma bombing? A old white guy.
- Tower shooting at a university? Crazy ass white man.
- Recent shooting in Arizona of Gabrielle Giffords, as well as several bystanders? White guy.
- Charles Mason? Pretty sure he's a white guy.
Too many examples to name.

So a few Middle Eastern men hijack planes and crash them and everyone and their Middle Eastern-looking mama gets searched.

Some white guys kill thousands upon thousands of people without delay, without hesitation, without remorse, etc., and no white guy gets searched for possession of weaponry anywhere...?

White privilege.

BTW, this is coming from a person of color who is married to a white girl. Don't call me a racist or prejudice. I don't stereotype. I just know about racism more than I would like to.

You ever been stopped by white cops because they are concerned for the safety of the white woman you're holding hands with? "Is this man hurting you, ma'am?"
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Dave Chapelle described it perfectly in one of his bits.

I used to work with a bunch of white dudes years ago, and they'd always tell me all the shit they did, and I was floored in disbelief on how they never got arrested, even if they were caught by the cops. if I had done anywhere near the same shit, my beaner ass would've been in jail.

If I white kid steals something, he's a troubled youth.

If a minority does it, he's a thug/criminal.

And this is for the same thing mind you.

If I white person does something like vandalize something, it's just boys being boys, they get a slap in the wrist like a cop ride home.

If a minority does the exact same thing, they get a record and get labeled.

I've seen white people talk shit to cops, get in their face and complain, and even DARE them to do something at times. I'd be damn if I ever even attempt to 'think' about doing that shit. White people are quick to start saying "I know my rights" but if one of us does the same thing, you bet we're going to jail.
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Here's the major part about white privilege that many don't comprehend:

Say there's a black student in a math class. This black student just does not seem to understand the math whatsoever. He's difficult to teach, intolerable at times due to attitude problems, speaks with distinguishable slang, etc.

The teacher will obviously have a problem with this student, even if he/she isn't a racist.

Because of this student, every time the teacher encounters another black student in future classes, he/she will immediately assume the student is worthless and won't actually do anything productive in the class,
thus causing future students to feel neglect in the classroom.

A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as fuck, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I think Dave Chapelle described it perfectly in one of his bits.

I used to work with a bunch of white dudes years ago, and they'd always tell me all the shit they did, and I was floored in disbelief on how they never got arrested, even if they were caught by the cops. if I had done anywhere near the same shit, my beaner ass would've been in jail.

If I white kid steals something, he's a troubled youth.

If a minority does it, he's a thug/criminal.

And this is for the same thing mind you.

If I white person does something like vandalize something, it's just boys being boys, they get a slap in the wrist like a cop ride home.

If a minority does the exact same thing, they get a record and get labeled.

I've seen white people talk shit to cops, get in their face and complain, and even DARE them to do something at times. I'd be damn if I ever even attempt to 'think' about doing that shit. White people are quick to start saying "I know my rights" but if one of us does the same thing, you bet we're going to jail.

You dont even actually have to steal anything to be labeled a criminal or suspected as one...

You can just enter a store have mofos following you like George Zimmerman...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
JohnnyWall
Banned

JohnnyWall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJohnnyWall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Oh, please. It's 2012, not 1812. Stop your whining, black people.
JohnnyWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
MJ23forever
High School Varsity 6th Man

MJ23forever posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMJ23forever posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Well George Zimmerman's mother is Hispanic and his father is a Hasidic Jew. Therefor he has no white privilege, because he's not white.

Anyway here is why this term "white privilege" bothers me. In America we've had a running dialog on racism for over a century, and for the most part we've come to an agreement that it does exists and that it's a terrible thing. Everyone acknowledges it. Then some liberal douche-bag comes along and invents this new term "white privilege" as if it is some new thing. Its just the other side of the coin. Racism and white privilege are the same thing, just inverted, but somehow people warp it into something else so that as a white man, not only do I have to acknowledge racism, but also I have to admit I have "white privilege". As if those are different things an then whites are taught and force fed this notion that all of us need to feel guilty just for being white and bow down to minorities.

Quote:
Say there's a black student in a math class.......

What if the teacher's black?

Quote:
A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as ****, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

Teachers won't face political sanction for disciplining unruly white students either.

Quote:
Black youth arrested for drug possession for the first time are incarcerated at a rate that is forty-eight times greater than the rate for white youth.

Are both of these in the inner city? Or are we comparing exurbs to crime racked hellholes? The fact of the matter is that blacks commit a hell of a lot of crime in a very compact area. The police do not have the luxury of bending the rules for them, that they would for vastly fewer crimes committed over a larger geographic area.
MJ23forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
You ever been stopped by white cops because they are concerned for the safety of the white woman you're holding hands with? "Is this man hurting you, ma'am?"

it happens... My wife is Italian... Plenty of good stories I could tell you.. but here's one.

Me & my wife went out to eat.. We had a good dinner, chatted for awhile. before we get ready to leave she goes to the bathroom, and i wait for her. she comes out telling me how some white woman in the bathroom was asking her if she was OK and she needed help (trying to escape the black guy she just had dinner with).. My wife got mad and then when the white woman realized how dumb she looked? she started apologizing and trying to explain...

I saw the woman when she came out.. old drunk looking hag...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

white is right...
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
it happens... My wife is Italian... Plenty of good stories I could tell you.. but here's one.

Me & my wife went out to eat.. We had a good dinner, chatted for awhile. before we get ready to leave she goes to the bathroom, and i wait for her. she comes out telling me how some white woman in the bathroom was asking her if she was OK and she needed help (trying to escape the black guy she just had dinner with).. My wife got mad and then when the white woman realized how dumb she looked? she started apologizing and trying to explain...

I saw the woman when she came out.. old drunk looking hag...
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: