Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Report: Raps to Chase Nash & Lin

Toronto will be in direct competition with the Knicks for Steve Nash. But Nash is expected to look to sign with a bona fide contender, and the Knicks and Raptors don't fit that description. The Raptors are also a potential landing spot for Jeremy Lin. They like him and what he'd do for their attendance, but Toronto would have to "back-load" an offer to the restricted free agent, paying him gazillions in the final couple of years of a deal, and hope that the Knicks would not match. According to league sources, that's what the Raptors just might do if their Nash plan falls through. But considering that the Knicks have no other viable options at point guard, and Lin has been nothing short of a marketing dream, they're seen as a lock to match any offer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...1077053?pgno=1
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Report: Raps to Chase Nash & Lin

I like Steve Nash. Because of that, I hope he stays away from the Raptors. He doesn't need to waste his last few productive years on this, right now, miserable franchise. Stay away for your own good, Steve.

Lin? I don't really know. He's only 24. A normal player would be just entering their prime years right now but Lin has very little NBA-mileage on him. He had a damn solid year as well. An aggressive and efficient scorer, a decent-enough playmaker that turns it over a bit too much. I didn't see enough of him to judge his defense. It seemed passable as in "not good but definitely better than Jose Calderon". Were those 30 or whatever games an accurate showing of what he will be in the long run? That's the big question with him.

I guess I wouldn't mind Lin. The Raptors aren't going to attract any major free agents so if you're going to take a risk on a player, let it be on a 24-year old and not over-the-hill trash like Hedo Turkoglu. I'm sure MLSE would be shitting themselves if they got a marketing superstar like him. The "care level" of how good the team will be would drop even further since Jeremy Lin prints money. Colangelo would be here forever tending to a team that might make a 2nd round appearance at some point in the next decade.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Ny media = Not the most reliable source.

Lin's d is actually worse than Jose's.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

dont want nash.

Lin is someone that could be good with the raps although certain aspects of his game are questionable. how old is he?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I like Steve Nash. Because of that, I hope he stays away from the Raptors. He doesn't need to waste his last few productive years on this, right now, miserable franchise. Stay away for your own good, Steve.

Lin? I don't really know. He's only 24. A normal player would be just entering their prime years right now but Lin has very little NBA-mileage on him. He had a damn solid year as well. An aggressive and efficient scorer, a decent-enough playmaker that turns it over a bit too much. I didn't see enough of him to judge his defense. It seemed passable as in "not good but definitely better than Jose Calderon". Were those 30 or whatever games an accurate showing of what he will be in the long run? That's the big question with him.

I guess I wouldn't mind Lin. The Raptors aren't going to attract any major free agents so if you're going to take a risk on a player, let it be on a 24-year old and not over-the-hill trash like Hedo Turkoglu. I'm sure MLSE would be shitting themselves if they got a marketing superstar like him. The "care level" of how good the team will be would drop even further since Jeremy Lin prints money. Colangelo would be here forever tending to a team that might make a 2nd round appearance at some point in the next decade.

seeing the bandwagon asian fans at the ACC would be a little annoying. We got the Italians cheering for this team. Might as well get the asians as well.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Lin would be a very good signing imo.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

BurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBurningHammer is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Get Lin and move their home court to the planned new stadium in Markham..... PROFIT!!

BTW, I would love to see Nash playing with a contender instead of here. Knicks would be optimal since Lin could move to here to make a room for him.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Assuming calderon is traded, Lin's game is too similar to Bayless' (shoot first, pass second) so I dun like this signing..

would be good to sign him if

i) Calderon is kept instead and Bayless is traded/not signed
ii) If Lin can play the 2 guard position, coz Derozan always goes into shooting drought and has limited ability to create his own shot
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I can't imagine Lin not bein a Knick next year simply because of marketing revenue.
RapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I would hope if Toronto is committed to going after a PG that they would fo after Dragic as well. He played really well after Lowry went down and he's a very good defender at point as well. He's unrestricted, Houston may want to commit to Lowry and the market (hopefully) may overlook him due to other bigger names at the position on the market.

Ilyasova and Batum are alsto guys I like but I doubt either of their teams will not match any offer that isn't completely ridiculous.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
I would hope if Toronto is committed to going after a PG that they would fo after Dragic as well. He played really well after Lowry went down and he's a very good defender at point as well. He's unrestricted, Houston may want to commit to Lowry and the market (hopefully) may overlook him due to other bigger names at the position on the market. .
I don't like the idea of offering Lin "gazillions", since imo he hasn't proven himself to be a player worthy of that kind of contract.

I like this ^^idea. Dragic is a good player that may fly under the radar. Given the right situation, he could be very effective.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

I don't want a PG that can't defend so I'd rather not take Lin.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Lin = $$$$$ for MLSE and media exposure
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Dragic for the win.....he could be something big....especially in Toronto....he just needs the chance....Lin hasn't proved much to me....a few weeks of good games and now he is the next big thing....when he gives a full season, then I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but till then, let's keep the money for something maybe useful....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
Lin = $$$$$ for MLSE and media exposure

Bingo.

10-15 million/year on lin = 100 million in revenue world wide.
Also why NY will hold on to him at all costs.
Unless of course they really want to win.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: