Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
EricGordon23
Good college starter

EricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation hereEricGordon23 has an incredible reputation here
Default What do you guys do for your warm up/practice?

Whats your warm up strategy?

ex: 50 right hand layups
50 left hand layups
100Free throws

so on so forth what do you do?
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What do you guys do for your warm up/practice?

I know the jury's still out on this strategy, but I like to stretch. Sometimes I'll warm up very briefly before I stretch, sometimes I'll stretch right after I put my shoes on. Either way, I feel it's very much enhanced my flexibility and ability to perform.

Anyway, after stretching, I'll begin a slow warmup, with some moderate layups. This often leads into ball handling, where I'll go through different sets of pounding the rock as hard as I can with each hand, in-and-outs (again pounding), crosses, behind-the-backs, between-the-legs, etc. This tends to get my body low and legs semi-activated, in addition to getting my hands used to dribbling.

Then, to really get my legs ready, I feel I must either find someone to challenge me in an informal game of one-on-one (no score, just someone to force me to move quickly) or I run through a shooting drill, usually shooting from the baseline, grabbing my rebound, sprinting to the other baseline, shooting, etc.

Ideally, to get myself as ready to play as possible, I need to get myself winded and tired beforehand, at least briefly. That seems to unlock my second wind and get my jumping legs going. To be completely honest, it can be tough to make myself warmup that way, as my body fights wanting to be tired. In that case, I end up spending the first portion of the game warming up, which is not always the coolest thing ever.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

I start dribbling around and making layups to get blood flowing. Then I start taking shots off the dribble.

When I'm a little lubricated, I stretch a bit, start shooting some 3s, then I'm good for anything.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
C_lake2802
I airball my layups

C_lake2802 has an OK reputation so far

Usually when i go to the court, im pretty much in a game right away. So because of that i have no time to warm up when i get there.

But before i get there i like to stretch for 20 mins while watching some film on youtube just to get motivated. then then dribble the ball as hard as i can doing various moves on the sidewalk or the backyard. maybe take a short run around the neighborhood then drink 2 bottles of water and usually im ready to go.
C_lake2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

I would recommend not stretching until your warmed up. It doesn't do anything good for you and some say it actually hinders performance. Dynamic stretching on the other hand seems to help.

I try to do some full court lay ups then some jump shots. I foam roll and stretch after I play.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

10,000 jumping jacks at center court while blasting music on a boombox
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

5000 jumpers
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I always practice my dribbling and shooting skills.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
TMacMagic
I hit open 5-footers

TMacMagic has decent reputation

I just do some jumpshots and then full-court layups.
TMacMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive is considered somewhat coolOverdrive is considered somewhat cool

Stretch, jumpers without dribbling, dribble pull ups, some lay ups, some chest passes, if some mate is there with me, some dribbling overall to get a feel for the ball on that day.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
When I'm a little lubricated, I stretch a bit, start shooting some 3s, then I'm good for anything.

Similar to you, when I'm a little lubricated, I stretch a bit then..go strong to the hole
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

layups

then form shooting drills

then range shooting drills

then 1 dribble pullups

then 2 dribble pullups

then dynamic stretches (after a good sweat)

and then ITS GO TIME!!!
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive is considered somewhat coolOverdrive is considered somewhat cool

Seems like all of you guys stretch after doing some shots, moves. What's the exact advantage about it?
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Seems like all of you guys stretch after doing some shots, moves. What's the exact advantage about it?
I switch back and forth. Sometimes I stretch before I even leave the house. Other times it feels better to get the blood flowing a little bit prior to stretching. It's more or less a convenience thing for me. I just stretch when I feel like it. It has never seemed to affect me negatively. Instead, it has greatly improved my flexibility over the years.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive

Stretching before being warmed up = snapping all your shit up

Feels good to get some blood flowing then to loosen my leg muscles a bit. Otherwise I don't do much stretching. I think stretching is overrated for pedestrian ballers.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: