Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default BC on the fan this AM

Just heard the show.

He basically said they would have taken barnes had they won the coin flip but felt Ross was the best player available at #8.

He then talked about FA.
He also said they were prepared to Amnesty Jose to increase their cap space to 22 million if necessary.

Their plan is to sign a FA (Nash) and to absorb a veteran salary via trade.

Some other dudes summarY:

- They tried to move within the top 10
- Stagnant trade market
- Ross was the 8th best player available on their board
- Hes gonna be a solid player for us
- Couple of deals for vets fell through but will be talked about the next 48 hours
- Can still take back salary till July 1st
- Was asked about what if Barnes was still available Colangelo danced around the question
- Said the Coin toss decided that decision
- Said T-Ross is a SG
- Its not inconceivable that Ross and DeRozan will play together
- Said DeRozan has gained some weight since the end of the season looking tighter in shirts
- Looking to accelerate the building process
- Quincy Acy will add life to the team and energy and some talent as well
- People were complaining last night about the draft being weak but he disagrees
- Free Agency will determine what happens with Calderon
- We will go hard for a FA on Sunday they have a plan
- Broke the news to Calderon explained the situation to him and his agent
- Said he could amensty Calderon its not personal just business
- Said if they amensty him it will take them from $11 mill cap space to $22 mill
- Said the cap space could open a lot of doors if they choose to spend it appropriately
- Said if Calderon does come back hes a good person who gets along with Casey
- Was asked about Nash said theres a PGs at the top of the FA list they will go after

Last edited by bluerap : 06-29-2012 at 10:42 AM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: BC on the fan this AM

Stefanski at 10 am:

Stefanski

- They had the 7 guys going in front of us on their board how it played out
- We need depth
- We had more bigs then anything
- Spectacular shooter and athlete
- Needed Speed and he brings it
- Fans will love Acy will be fan favorite
- Had Evans as well in Philly said hes Reggie Evans with offense
- Would rather have FA before the draft
- We need a SF and PG in FA
- Excited about the "guys" will be going for
- If Val was in this draft he'd be the second best player in this draft
- Bargs has to give us the production he gave us before he got hurt
- Recapped them seeing Val at various Tournaments this year
- Val is a sponge good things will happen to him
- Americans have no issues being here
- last year was positive because of the hiring of Casey changed the culture
- Casey built a defensive winning base
- Theres no doubt were going in the right direction
- Were gonna try and be a player in FA this year
- Were gonna try and address PG on Sunday
- Was in the finals twice with NJ and Playoffs 3/4 years in Philly fan support for Raps is surreal
compared to there. First game him and his wife were at they looked eachother like they were
at a game of a team in the finals.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
First game him and his wife were at they looked eachother like they were
at a game of a team in the finals.

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He was their 8th player on the board? Nice, way to talk up your new pick. BC is not even using his usual BS rhetoric to hype it up.

What I get from all this is that either the Raptors draft board was the usually suspects (Davis, MKG, Beal, Robinson, Barnes) and then totally based on need (an NBA-ready impact wing scorer). A bad team like the Raptors drafting based on need instead of talent. Brilliant.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
He was their 8th player on the board? Nice, way to talk up your new pick. BC is not even using his usual BS rhetoric to hype it up.

What I get from all this is that either the Raptors draft board was the usually suspects (Davis, MKG, Beal, Robinson, Barnes) and then totally based on need (an NBA-ready impact wing scorer). A bad team like the Raptors drafting based on need instead of talent. Brilliant.

If BC's chatter pre-draft about "accelerating" the process didn't raise these flags for people, then I dunno. Was pretty clear they're looking for help now.

Given how terrible the East is, jumping up to 6th or 7th best in the league with a couple of the right acquisitions isn't out of the question in my mind, and likely isn't in Colangelo's mind.

I'm not saying its the right way to build, but it was pretty evident to me that creating a "playoff" team versus a "contending" team is the goal here.

Getting JV this season is like another high round pick plays to BC's favour, though.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

Atlantic consists of Celtics, Nets, 76ers, Knicks, and Raps.

Celts: a lot of question marks on who comes back
Nets: If Howard makes his way to join D-Will, they will be the favorites in the division, but will most likely trade away all depth
Knicks: Who knows how they will do. They have all the talent, but no chemistry
76ers: Depends on the Iggy situation - if traded, what pieces do they take back

A line-up of Nash, DD, Deng, Bargs, and Val could be enough to get it done in the Atlantic. Just think how close we were in some games against good teams with the talent level last year.

In the East overall, there are a lot of playoff teams in an unknown state (Bulls, Celts, Hawks, Magic, 76ers), just to name a few, and it's not impossible for the raps to jump ahead of them.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree. I just don't like it.

I fully expected this offseason to be based around getting players that can contribute right away and make a push for the playoffs. I alluded to this in the "Ed Davis will be traded" thread I made a while ago. I expect BC to throw a ton of money at Nash and him to sign with Toronto. I expect the Raptors to be a 6-8 seed next year and exit quietly in the 1st round unless Valanciunas turns into a star.

I am just completely against abandoning rebuilding at this stage and trying to build a winner with the current base of young talent. The only piece I feel comfortable in building a long-term winner with is Valanciunas. Derozan has been a big disappointment so far, Bargnani is what he is (no improvement left there) and I personally think Ross is a low-ceiling pick.

I understand that being patient and building a great team is not the goal in Toronto. I honestly think that the Bobcats will be in a better position than the Raptors in 3-4 years if their ownership sticks to what they said. Rich Cho told them that this team will be bad for a while before they can be good again and he needed time to build up the core.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
- Looking to accelerate the building process

we're f*cked...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

As a Calderon fan, I am happy if he is amnestied, so he can join the team he chooses, maybe a contender.

It just seems to me a poor way to use the resources. BC is throwing away 10M and use the cap space to sign... who? I mean, will it really make that huge difference a FA willing to sign a 10M contract for a non-contending team like Toronto? Wouldn't it be wiser to save the money, play Calderon, and wait for when we are contending, maybe paying luxury tax?
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I agree. I just don't like it.

I fully expected this offseason to be based around getting players that can contribute right away and make a push for the playoffs. I alluded to this in the "Ed Davis will be traded" thread I made a while ago. I expect BC to throw a ton of money at Nash and him to sign with Toronto. I expect the Raptors to be a 6-8 seed next year and exit quietly in the 1st round unless Valanciunas turns into a star.

I am just completely against abandoning rebuilding at this stage and trying to build a winner with the current base of young talent. The only piece I feel comfortable in building a long-term winner with is Valanciunas. Derozan has been a big disappointment so far, Bargnani is what he is (no improvement left there) and I personally think Ross is a low-ceiling pick.

I understand that being patient and building a great team is not the goal in Toronto. I honestly think that the Bobcats will be in a better position than the Raptors in 3-4 years if their ownership sticks to what they said. Rich Cho told them that this team will be bad for a while before they can be good again and he needed time to build up the core.

I think BC has taken the entire situation into account (Val coming over, Nash FA, Jose expirer, teams dropping like flies) and decided to strike now to get the team some much needed positive attention. Let Nash be the face of the franchise in the twilight of his career and mentor the young guys. If they can win the atlantic (a big if, but not out of the realm of reason with all the changes around the league), I think they can make it to a 2nd round exit. Then keep adding pieces via trade or FA.

I love how the Thunder were built from ground up, but they reached on Westbrook, and SUCKED for a few years. They also drafted OUT OF THIS WORLD, but will eventually be stuck when re-signing these guys. I feel as though they are the exception to the rule.

As for the Cats, MKG, Walker, Henderson and Biyombo are nice, but they also lack veteran leadership, which is needed to improve your young talent. It'll be intersting to see how they end up a couple of years down the line.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

I've been very vocal about the poor job that BC has done so far. When he took over this team we were in arguably the best position of any NBA franchise with a number 1 pick and plenty of upcoming cap space and he blew it and kept blowing.

I understand where everyone is coming from but at some point the bleeding has to stop. We can't just keep tanking, getting a lottery pick and throwing a dart at the board at the expense of the young players that are being brought in here. Without any leadership, the young guys we draft are not going to progress and we're practically wasting picks. Demar is a great example. Last season he was forced into a primary scoring role with Bargs out and that is just not his wheelhouse and he struggled when other teams gameplanned around stopping him. Now suddenly at the young age of 22 people think he's a bust?

Nash is important to this team because guys like Ross, Derozan, Bargs, Val and Davis are going to flourish with his on and off the court leadership. IMO the greatest value he brings to this team is his ability to make players better. Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds progression individually and as a team.

I like Casey and his defensive mentality (something we have lacked for a long time) and I think this pick screams more Casey than BC. I hope we bring Nash over in a sign and trade involving Calderon so we can sign another piece along with him.

I've hated BC for a while but I don't mind this direction.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Signing Nash makes little sense. Low grade fans will love it, be excited with the 'improvement' we make as we get the 7th or 8th seed. Players will look better then they actually are. Then, all of a sudden Nash will be 40 and retire and those same fans will be surprised at how brutal we are.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Parps
I hit open 5-footers

Parps is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Signing Nash makes little sense. Low grade fans will love it, be excited with the 'improvement' we make as we get the 7th or 8th seed. Players will look better then they actually are. Then, all of a sudden Nash will be 40 and retire and those same fans will be surprised at how brutal we are.

We ain't winning anyways...bring on Captain Canada I say!

At least the games will be entertaining next year.
Parps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parps
We ain't winning anyways...bring on Captain Canada I say!

At least the games will be entertaining next year.

Parps, you're such a low grade fan.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
clipse
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

Dude, I'm not a "low grade fan", and I'm all for Nash. Get a winning culture and attract talent. Develop the young potential with a vet (nobody better than a former MVP who knows how to lead a team). Once Nash retires, the young guys will know how to be professionals in this league, and winning changes everything. Demeanor, environment and the roster will improve. The east is volatile, and if the plan comes together as I think BC has planned, we'd be fighting for tops in the Atlantic.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: