Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Ask Stateproperty his football thoughts...

Mr. Property,

Is Michael Vick the long term solution at QB for the Eagles? If he was to get hurt this year (as per the usual) and the Eagles to again underachieve, would you want to continue as is or replace him?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Ask Stateproperty his football thoughts...

Depends what you mean get hurt, and he's not long term. Vick isn't anymore injury prone than McNabb was. If he was to suffer some serious injury like a torn ligament, broken foot, something that would affect his athleticism then yeah you start to look beyond him. If its missing a game here or there then you keep him because he's your best chance to win now with a team built to win now. We didn't extend our core (Cole, Herremans, Mathis, McCoy, DeSean) only to not have a plan at QB in place.

Now here's how the stars line up....Despite Vick's big contract extension last year, he is not guaranteed any money beyond '13. Ironically, '13 is also the last year on Andy Reid's deal. With Reid investing so much in Vick being "his guy" they would likely take the fall together if they can't get it done. They have a 2 year window. You add in that they invested a 3rd round pick in Nick Foles who has looked great so far and you add on the pressure. And you're giving him 2 years to sit and learn in the meantime.

Basically you have to view Vick as being on a 2 year contract right now. He has to play extremely well to not be replaced after '13 and let the Foles era start.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Depends what you mean get hurt, and he's not long term. Vick isn't anymore injury prone than McNabb was. If he was to suffer some serious injury like a torn ligament, broken foot, something that would affect his athleticism then yeah you start to look beyond him. If its missing a game here or there then you keep him because he's your best chance to win now with a team built to win now. We didn't extend our core (Cole, Herremans, Mathis, McCoy, DeSean) only to not have a plan at QB in place.

Now here's how the stars line up....Despite Vick's big contract extension last year, he is not guaranteed any money beyond '13. Ironically, '13 is also the last year on Andy Reid's deal. With Reid investing so much in Vick being "his guy" they would likely take the fall together if they can't get it done. They have a 2 year window. You add in that they invested a 3rd round pick in Nick Foles who has looked great so far and you add on the pressure. And you're giving him 2 years to sit and learn in the meantime.

Basically you have to view Vick as being on a 2 year contract right now. He has to play extremely well to not be replaced after '13 and let the Foles era start.

So a 2 year window? So if he misses 5 games this season and the Eagles miss the play-offs you'd give him one more chance even after last season?
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
So a 2 year window? So if he misses 5 games this season and the Eagles miss the play-offs you'd give him one more chance even after last season?
Yeah, he'd have that chance. They've already drafted his replacement. It wouldn't make sense to cut him and take the cap hit, and then sign a stopgap QB until Foles is ready. Or to go with Foles, praying he's ready on a team built for the moment.

You're not going to find a replacement for him on the open market. You're options in '13 would be 1) keep Vick for another season and give it one more shot or 2) cut Vick a year early, take a cap hit that you wouldn't take if you wait a year, and pray Foles is ready as a 2nd year guy leading a veteran team. I think it'd be a no brainer.

If you move on it can't be because you're "going in a new direction" or because it's time to rebuild. The rest of the roster isn't in rebuild mode. If they move on after this season it has to be because there's a better option at QB, which I do t see happening.

Side note: Spanish chick invited me to Cuba Libre tonight, was gettin my Victor Cruz end zone dance on

Last edited by StateProperty : 08-13-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dear Mr. Property,

If you could swap out one Eagle player and replace him with a Cowboy player of the same position, who would it be?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Dear Mr. Property,

If you could swap out one Eagle player and replace him with a Cowboy player of the same position, who would it be?
Hmm, probably Witten/Celek. Red zone is our biggest problem on offense and Celek isn't even tall by today's TE standards. Plus it would give us an underneath passing option to go with DeSean/Maclin's explosive downfield stuff. Can't argue with his production and he never misses a game.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

yo. Mr. PP,

Who will win the Big 12 conference this year?
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Yeah, he'd have that chance. They've already drafted his replacement. It wouldn't make sense to cut him and take the cap hit, and then sign a stopgap QB until Foles is ready. Or to go with Foles, praying he's ready on a team built for the moment.

You're not going to find a replacement for him on the open market. You're options in '13 would be 1) keep Vick for another season and give it one more shot or 2) cut Vick a year early, take a cap hit that you wouldn't take if you wait a year, and pray Foles is ready as a 2nd year guy leading a veteran team. I think it'd be a no brainer.

If you move on it can't be because you're "going in a new direction" or because it's time to rebuild. The rest of the roster isn't in rebuild mode. If they move on after this season it has to be because there's a better option at QB, which I do t see happening.

Side note: Spanish chick invited me to Cuba Libre tonight, was gettin my Victor Cruz end zone dance on

I see your logic and I agree completely but just from knowing Philly fans I can see the organization bieng pressured from backlash from the fans and media in Philly to make a change sooner rather then later if Vick gets hurt and misses significant time this season and the Eagles not making the play-offs.

Especially after the whole claiming a dynasty thing.

So I guess your answer to the OP is yes you'd keep him after a bad season. Here's my quesiton: Do you think the rest of Phillys fans would be ready to give him 1 more year as well? (after an injury plagued season)

I'm assuming these are the fans who aren't as aware of Foles ability or Vicks contract situation.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Nanners
Decent college freshman

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Hmm, probably Witten/Celek. Red zone is our biggest problem on offense and Celek isn't even tall by today's TE standards. Plus it would give us an underneath passing option to go with DeSean/Maclin's explosive downfield stuff. Can't argue with his production and he never misses a game.
Interesting choice. When I saw the question, I assumed you would answer Ware.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
yo. Mr. PP,

Who will win the Big 12 conference this year?
Admittedly don't watch college football. Pretty much a regional thing. I live in Big 5 basketball territory, my school just entered a BCS conference this year, and the football team that gets the most coverage around here (Penn State) is hours away. Just never could get interested.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I see your logic and I agree completely but just from knowing Philly fans I can see the organization bieng pressured from backlash from the fans and media in Philly to make a change sooner rather then later if Vick gets hurt and misses significant time this season and the Eagles not making the play-offs.

Especially after the whole claiming a dynasty thing.

So I guess your answer to the OP is yes you'd keep him after a bad season. Here's my quesiton: Do you think the rest of Phillys fans would be ready to give him 1 more year as well? (after an injury plagued season)

I'm assuming these are the fans who aren't as aware of Foles ability or Vicks contract situation.
Yeah, the common Philly fan would want to move on. We're a "live in the moment, what have you done for me lately" group. Foles has some serious potential but as with every QB he's going to have growing pains and the team can't wait for that.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Interesting choice. When I saw the question, I assumed you would answer Ware.
Ware is the best player but our D-Line already led the league in sacks, plus added Curry/Cox in the draft. Our DE's go about 6 guys deep and that doesn't include Jenkins who moved outside while Babin was out.

Ware could play linebacker here too but he's a 3-4 guy, we play 4-3 and don't blitz much. Witten adds more of what we don't have than Ware would.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Nanners
Decent college freshman

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Ware is the best player but our D-Line already led the league in sacks, plus added Curry/Cox in the draft. Our DE's go about 6 guys deep and that doesn't include Jenkins who moved outside while Babin was out.

Ware could play linebacker here too but he's a 3-4 guy, we play 4-3 and don't blitz much. Witten adds more of what we don't have than Ware would.
I admit I am not too familiar with the eagles d-line, but I was under the assumption that they struggled last season (no idea what game me that idea). Regardless, even with a great d-line its hard to turn down a beast of a man who might be the best pass rusher in the NFL, I can see your reasoning though.

If it was my choice, I would take ROMO.... for obvious reasons
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
I admit I am not too familiar with the eagles d-line, but I was under the assumption that they struggled last season (no idea what game me that idea). Regardless, even with a great d-line its hard to turn down a beast of a man who might be the best pass rusher in the NFL, I can see your reasoning though.

If it was my choice, I would take ROMO.... for obvious reasons
There was a lot of talk with the D-Line and the wide-9 not being able to defend the run. Most of that was linebacker play which is why they got Ryans and drafted Kendricks. LB group of Mathews/Chaney/Fokou was laughable.

D-line had 46 of our 50 sacks. 1st in NFL. Pressuring the QB from the line isnt a problem. Even in the 1st preseason game the D-line got 7 sacks, and Cole/Babin didn't even play.

I would take Sean Lee in a heartbeat too.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

ballinhun8 has a terrific reputationballinhun8 has a terrific reputationballinhun8 has a terrific reputationballinhun8 has a terrific reputationballinhun8 has a terrific reputationballinhun8 has a terrific reputation

Somewhat of a homer question.....

NFCN sends 3 teams to the playoffs.

Taking schedules into account, remember the teams play against the NFCW and AFCS, undoubtedly the two worst divisions in football.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: