Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
ForeverHeat
Banned

ForeverHeat is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Best Live Rock Bands

When rating these, please take into account the awesomeness factor of their performance, as well as how well it translates from the recorded version. Guys who have great songs but can't replicate it live don't need to be here. Let me start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr0ynt4CCG8

Singer, guitarists, drummer, everyone here is doing the biz. Amazing.
ForeverHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
blablabla

blablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Best Live Rock Bands

wow, this band is fvcking terrible
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
ForeverHeat
Banned

ForeverHeat is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Bu the guys scream was awesome though?
ForeverHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That video doesn't really do Avenged Sevenfold justice. I saw them a few years back, and I thought they were pretty darn good. But they may barely crack my top 10 if even that. For sure top 20 that I have seen.

Rammstein was easily the best I have seen live. 2nd was probably Alice Cooper and 3rd is System of a Down. Motley Crue and Rob Zombie are up there as well.

The worst considering how popular he is, is probably Marilyn Manson. I like his studio recordings, but he sounds terrible live.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Freedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected poster

Damn I hate Avenged.

They probably put on the best performance in a live show out of any band I can think of. GWAR was notorious for their live shows, but moreso due to the absurdity of the performance and visuals than the music.
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
That video doesn't really do Avenged Sevenfold justice. I saw them a few years back, and I thought they were pretty darn good. But they may barely crack my top 10 if even that. For sure top 20 that I have seen.

Rammstein was easily the best I have seen live. 2nd was probably Alice Cooper and 3rd is System of a Down. Motley Crue and Rob Zombie are up there as well.

The worst considering how popular he is, is probably Marilyn Manson. I like his studio recordings, but he sounds terrible live.
Rammstein came through Detroit recently and I was a little upset I couldn't find anyone willing to go with me. Even my friends who like rock music were a little tentative and unwilling to understand how awesome it would have been. Luckily, I saw System of a Down a few weeks ago and they were in fact fantastic.

However, the best concert I've ever been to at this point was a 2010 Deftones show in Grand Rapids. It was a smallish venue and it marked a little bit of a return to form for these guys. In the mid-00's, lead singer Chino Moreno went through a real rough patch, gained a ton of weight, they put out a mediocre album and their bassist nearly died in a car accident.

This night in 2010 though, everything fell back into place. I remember Chino stepping out onto the stage for the first time that night and just putting his hands on his knees and looking out at the crowd, building a frenzy. It all jumped off from there. Awesome energy. Wonderful crowd. Non-stop intensity. Great experience.

Obviously, if one is not familiar with the Deftones, this video is going to suck. Even if you do like the Deftones, the audio obviously sucks anyway. But this is the only footage of their opening track at my show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qInP0dFbncI
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

I saw A7X in Detroit and they were pretty good, they're one of my favourite bands to. As I Lay Dying really raised the bar though, they are incredible live. They flawlessly perform very difficult rifts and the drums are just something else. I would love to see Rammstein live one day. Obviously seeing a prime Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, or Metallica would be pretty cool, but I never got a chance.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Rammstein came through Detroit recently and I was a little upset I couldn't find anyone willing to go with me. Even my friends who like rock music were a little tentative and unwilling to understand how awesome it would have been. Luckily, I saw System of a Down a few weeks ago and they were in fact fantastic.

However, the best concert I've ever been to at this point was a 2010 Deftones show in Grand Rapids. It was a smallish venue and it marked a little bit of a return to form for these guys. In the mid-00's, lead singer Chino Moreno went through a real rough patch, gained a ton of weight, they put out a mediocre album and their bassist nearly died in a car accident.

This night in 2010 though, everything fell back into place. I remember Chino stepping out onto the stage for the first time that night and just putting his hands on his knees and looking out at the crowd, building a frenzy. It all jumped off from there. Awesome energy. Wonderful crowd. Non-stop intensity. Great experience.

Obviously, if one is not familiar with the Deftones, this video is going to suck. Even if you do like the Deftones, the audio obviously sucks anyway. But this is the only footage of their opening track at my show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qInP0dFbncI

I saw Deftones nearly 10 years ago. They were ok, but I'm not really into them. The 1 cool part I remember was that the lead singer essentially did a standing upright crowd surf while singing, and I got to help hold him up. I will see them again in about 2 weeks at the Epicenter concert put on by KROQ. Though, I am most excited to see Scars on Broadway, Stone Temple Pilots, and Bush.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I saw Deftones nearly 10 years ago. They were ok, but I'm not really into them. The 1 cool part I remember was that the lead singer essentially did a standing upright crowd surf while singing, and I got to help hold him up. I will see them again in about 2 weeks at the Epicenter concert put on by KROQ. Though, I am most excited to see Scars on Broadway, Stone Temple Pilots, and Bush.
Yeah, there's no doubt I have a bias toward the Deftones. They're one of my all-time favorites. Even if I were somehow able to put that bias aside though, I think objectively they still would have been the best show I've been to (though it's not as if I've been to hundreds of shows).

On the other hand, when I saw them opening for System of a Down at DTE in Detroit, it wasn't nearly the experience as it was in Grand Rapids. The whole dynamic changes when a band's opening instead of headlining, and in a seated outdoor pavilion no less. It was still light out, their set was shorter, empty seats, many folks didn't seem to know them like they'd know SOAD. It was still great, but not out of control like it was at the other venue.

I wanted to see them again a month from now (with Scars on Broadway) but tickets are $80? I see you mentioned STP and Bush. Are all four of them touring together? Because my SOAD and Deftones tickets were only like, $35 a piece. I'm not savvy enough to understand why these next tickets would be twice that. I thought it was just Deftones and Scars on Broadway.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Myth

Quote:
Yeah, there's no doubt I have a bias toward the Deftones. They're one of my all-time favorites. Even if I were somehow able to put that bias aside though, I think objectively they still would have been the best show I've been to (though it's not as if I've been to hundreds of shows).

On the other hand, when I saw them opening for System of a Down at DTE in Detroit, it wasn't nearly the experience as it was in Grand Rapids. The whole dynamic changes when a band's opening instead of headlining, and in a seated outdoor pavilion no less. It was still light out, their set was shorter, empty seats, many folks didn't seem to know them like they'd know SOAD. It was still great, but not out of control like it was at the other venue.

I wanted to see them again a month from now (with Scars on Broadway) but tickets are $80? I see you mentioned STP and Bush. Are all four of them touring together? Because my SOAD and Deftones tickets were only like, $35 a piece. I'm not savvy enough to understand why these next tickets would be twice that. I thought it was just Deftones and Scars on Broadway.

I don't believe it is a tour, just a large concert held in SoCal by their big rock radio station. It has tons of bands and is an all day concert. $25 for the ticket ($40 with service charges).
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
Raz

Pearl Jam and Tool both put on good live shows, but I'm biased.

I'd have t osay the best live show I have ever seen was easily The Mars Volta.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Tool
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Tool

You need to see Mars Volta or At The Drive-In live.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Pearl Jam and Tool both put on good live shows, but I'm biased.

I'd have t osay the best live show I have ever seen was easily The Mars Volta.
Do you think you would have liked At the Drive-In better? Some of their live clips on YouTube are mind-blowing (again, if a person knows the songs coming in... and maybe if you don't). Out of control:

Arcarsenal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUtkPrANRs

Cosmonaut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n4df...eature=related

Quote:
I don't believe it is a tour, just a large concert held in SoCal by their big rock radio station. It has tons of bands and is an all day concert. $25 for the ticket ($40 with service charges).
Word. Good stuff. I was struggling with the ticket prices, as mentioned, but I think I just found the site I was looking for, the $80 was just re-sell value. Threw me off not having the tickets through Ticketmaster.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 09-09-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Raz

Quote:
Do you think you would have liked At the Drive-In better? Some of their live clips on YouTube are mind-blowing (again, if a person knows the songs coming in... and maybe if you don't). Out of control:

Arcarsenal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUtkPrANRs

Cosmonaut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n4df...eature=related

Word. Good stuff. I was struggling with the ticket prices, as mentioned, but I think I just found the site I was looking for, the $80 was just re-sell value. Threw me off not having the tickets through Ticketmaster.

Relationship of Command blew my mind. One of the best albums of all time. I liked ATDI more than Mars Volta, but the Volta show was more frenetic. It was all over the place, guy played hacky sack with the microphone, guitarist was battling with the guitar, threw it right around his body for a full revolution mid solo, and then kept playing the solo when he caught it - they were nuts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: