Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

millwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Any vegetarians at InsideHoops?

Stand up!

Been veggie for 4 years now, best choice ever. I fully respect people that eat meat as well, my girlfriend eats meat and so does all my friends, so I am no treehugger and I just do it because it fits me better.

Personally I just quit meat because I'm against animal abuse and it fit me better, gave me more energy when I played ball back home in the league and since I stopped eating meat and started to eat more healthy stuff I get sick way less then before when I basically always was sick. Although I don't dare to say that it was all because I stopped eating meat, eathing much healthier food and living a more healthy life style probably caused it more than anything else.

So, any other vegetarians here?
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Any vegetarians at InsideHoops?

I'm glad you respect meat eaters but I have 1 question on animal abuse, is there a line that can be crossed or is any killing of an animal considered abuse???
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i've been mostly vegetarian for a long time. i have fish about 1-2 per week and a little lean meat about once a week, and that's it.

otherwise it's all leafy greens, nuts, soy milk, tea, hummous, assorted veggies, fruit and key supplements. little or no grains, though. garlic up the wazoo, as well as a lot of other herbs as seasonings and flavorings, like ginseng, turmeric, onions, ginger, cilantro, cumin, horseradish, basil red pepper and many more.

most usual dishes are grilled or baked veggies, soups, salsas and salads.

i'm basically on the paleolithic diet.

i guess i feel a little better than when i was more of a meat eater- not totally sure. but what makes me feel good is knowing that my chances of getting cancer, diabetes and a bunch of other typical american health problems is drastically reduced because of my diet. this diet is money in the bank. also my cardiovascular risk caused by a previous condition is greatly reduced by eating this way.

i don't even want to get in to the issues of animal meat from factory farms and from overfishing the oceans, etc. it's a total mess any way you slice it, so let's not slice it.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

millwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I'm glad you respect meat eaters but I have 1 question on animal abuse, is there a line that can be crossed or is any killing of an animal considered abuse???

You know, I like to believe that an animal's life shouldn't be feed, to breed and then get killed. So yeah, personally I do consider killing an animal for the sake of food a way of abuse.

But let me say one thing, if I was put in a situation where my survival depended on killing and eating an animal I'd easily do so.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i've been mostly vegetarian for a long time. i have fish about 1-2 per week and a little lean meat about once a week, and that's it.

otherwise it's all leafy greens, nuts, soy milk, tea, hummous, assorted veggies, fruit and key supplements. little or no grains, though. garlic up the wazoo, as well as a lot of other herbs as seasonings and flavorings, like ginseng, turmeric, onions, ginger, cilantro, cumin, horseradish, basil red pepper and many more.

most usual dishes are grilled or baked veggies, soups, salsas and salads.

i'm basically on the paleolithic diet.

i guess i feel a little better than when i was more of a meat eater- not totally sure. but what makes me feel good is knowing that my chances of getting cancer, diabetes and a bunch of other typical american health problems is drastically reduced because of my diet. this diet is money in the bank. also my cardiovascular risk caused by a previous condition is greatly reduced by eating this way.

i don't even want to get in to the issues of animal meat from factory farms and from overfishing the oceans, etc. it's a total mess any way you slice it, so let's not slice it.

Personally I don't consider a person to be a vegetarian when meat and fish is something you still eat time to time.

But the fact you've cut down on meat and fish so much is really awesome.
I've never told anyone that they should stop eating meat, not even my girlfriend who I share apartment with back home. It's a choice everyone needs to make themselves.

But I'd glady recommend people to eat less meat, it's a win-win situation for everyone.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
You know, I like to believe that an animal's life shouldn't be feed, to breed and then get killed. So yeah, personally I do consider killing an animal for the sake of food a way of abuse.

But let me say one thing, if I was put in a situation where my survival depended on killing and eating an animal I'd easily do so.

I don't disagree with your sentiment if you are focusing on the food industry but if I'm hunting and kill a deer is that really abuse???? I think people in that situation would have respect for the animal that is sacrificing its life.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Personally I don't consider a person to be a vegetarian when meat and fish is something you still eat time to time.
Hmm... I thought I was pretty clear about that when I said "mostly vegetarian."

Although to be honest, I think my diet is superior to strict vegetarian diets. Or at least that's what I aim for... research data and nutritional facts come before all other considerations for me.

So what's a typical food day for you look like? Quite a few vegetarians are actually junk food junkies in vegetarian form... hopefully that doesn't describe you. :P
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Your body requires a specific list of nutrients to function correctly, yes it doesn't care if it comes from a cheeseburger or tofu. As long as the needs are met, however you choose, is fine........ but remember there is still stuff you cant have as a vegetarian:

Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that is ONLY found in animal products, which is extremly important...

Some specific constructions of meat product Proteins/Creatine & Fats can also NOT be found in any vegetables...

Vitamin D which is very important and is 99.99% found only in animal products aswell, the other 00.01% is a specific mushroom (the only non-animal product that contains Vitamin D somewhat)....

It is quite possible to live as a vegetarian/vegan, but you will have to educate yourself very hard about how to each various combinations of plant proteins & fats to ensure you receive the essential amino acids and so on...

Failure to watch these things and your amino acid balance will lead to sickness sooner or later... The only benefit from cutting out meat from your diet is a reduction in saturated fat and cholesterol, but that is only from non-healthy meat.... that other meat is extremly important & healthy for your entire body... What is bad is eating copious amounts of meat in lieu of other foods such as vegetables and fruits....

Additionally, you WILL have to be sure to take a B12 (and extra Vitamin D) supplements to be sure you are getting the vital nutrient.... and that supplement still comes from animal products.................................... what now?

It is a very grueling process... being a Vegetarian is not as simple as being a normal Omnivore which humans are....

I refuse to fight the forces of nature like that and i want to be as healthy as possible and in the most efficient, productive & easy way which i as a human/omnivore am designed for, so no... i am not a vegetarian...

Last edited by pauk : 10-05-2012 at 07:36 AM.
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Your body requires a specific list of nutrients to function correctly, yes it doesn't care if it comes from a cheeseburger or tofu. As long as the needs are met, however you choose, is fine........ but remember there is still stuff you cant have as a vegetarian:

Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that is ONLY found in animal products, which is extremly important...

Some specific constructions of meat product Proteins/Creatine & Fats can also NOT be found in any vegetables...

Vitamin D which is very important and is 99.99% found only in animal products aswell, the other 00.01% is a specific mushroom (the only non-animal product that contains Vitamin D somewhat)....

It is quite possible to live as a vegetarian/vegan, but you will have to educate yourself very hard about how to each various combinations of plant proteins & fats to ensure you receive the essential amino acids and so on...

Failure to watch these things and your amino acid balance will lead to sickness sooner or later... The only benefit from cutting out meat from your diet is a reduction in saturated fat and cholesterol, but that is only from non-healthy meat.... that other meat is extremly important & healthy for your entire body... What is bad is eating copious amounts of meat in lieu of other foods such as vegetables and fruits....

Additionally, you WILL have to be sure to take a B12 (and extra Vitamin D) supplements to be sure you are getting the vital nutrient.... and that supplement still comes from animal products.................................... what now?

It is a very grueling process... being a Vegetarian is not as simple as being a normal Omnivore which humans are....

I refuse to fight the forces of nature like that and i want to be as healthy as possible and in the most efficient, productive & easy way which i as a human/omnivore am designed for, so no... i am not a vegetarian...

all those things are not true.

and I say this as a meat and fish lover (no zoophilia)

I know personally plenty of long-time vegetarian people who are in perfect shape without them taken any of those supplements. Even vegan people. There are a lot of top athlete who are vegetarians also.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

nathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrynathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrynathanjizzle posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk

hows your acne? mine was bad, till i became a vegan
nathanjizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Hmm... I thought I was pretty clear about that when I said "mostly vegetarian."

Although to be honest, I think my diet is superior to strict vegetarian diets. Or at least that's what I aim for... research data and nutritional facts come before all other considerations for me.

So what's a typical food day for you look like? Quite a few vegetarians are actually junk food junkies in vegetarian form... hopefully that doesn't describe you. :P

My bad, missed that part and I still think being mostly vegetarian is great.

I don't know if your diet is superior though, as far as I know there are vegetarian forms of complement when comparing a meat eaters must intakes compared to a vegetarian's.

And to be honest I'm actually a vegetarian junk food junkie, but before when I ate meat I was way worse. I ate so much junk food, pizza, hamburgers, french fries and other crap on daily basis. Sure, back then I was also a big fan of vegetables and fruit..

As for now I live a much healthier life style but junk food is something I'm a big fan of.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

u vegetarians don't ever miss chicken, pork, and steak??

come back to the dark side. dinner is better here.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
all those things are not true.

and I say this as a meat and fish lover (no zoophilia)

I know personally plenty of long-time vegetarian people who are in perfect shape without them taken any of those supplements. Even vegan people. There are a lot of top athlete who are vegetarians also.

This.

Personally I'm in to junkfood still but some of the athletes who only eat vegetarian/vegan dishes are crazy healthy.

Alot of ignorant people claim that we don't get enough proteins and stuff but that is only due ignorance.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I was a vegan for 10 years but i had I played football at the same time and couldnt maintain my weight. Made it rough. Pauk is correct and most people are not conscious of those things but if they are not athletic and just live daily its fine. Most higher salaried people can maintain a proper diet.

Animals eat other animals humans can eat meat if they wish but not too much because the digestive system and teeth are different than animals.

I am still repulsed by 98% of meat and poultry.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
u vegetarians don't ever miss chicken, pork, and steak??

come back to the dark side. dinner is better here.
mm cause I'm Mr Brightsiiiiiiiiiiide.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: