Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Default Larry Bird DEFENSE (VIDEO)

Contrary to Popular Belief...Bird Was a VERY GOOD DEFENDER

One of the Greatest Myth`s Is The Saying of "Bird was a Bad Defender" just because He Wasn`t AS ATHLETIC as the Average B-Ball Player.

Bird was THEE BEST TEAM DEFENDER IN THE LEAGUE in the 80s.

It Takes More than Athletics to be a Good Defender. High B-Ball IQ, Toughness, Anticipation and Reading The Floor are More Valuable. The Game is Not a 1 on 1 Competition Anyhow.

A) INDIVIDUAL DEFENSE:

Bird Lead the League in 2 Play-Off Runs in Defensive Rating 1980 & 1982.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._yearly_p.html

Was In The Top 10 In Defensive Rating from 1979 to 1986. And Came 2nd In Defensive Rating for 1 Whole Sesaon "As a SF"

Defensive Rating

1979-80 NBA 98.2 (6)
1980-81 NBA 98.6 (10)
1981-82 NBA 99.4 (6)
1983-84 NBA 100.8 (2)
1984-85 NBA 102.8 (9)
1985-86 NBA 99.4 (4)

Bird was a Very Good Individual Defender (espeically in the Post) Till About Age 31-32 Before His Body Started to Break Down

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B) TEAM SYSTEM DEFENSE

Bird Lead the League in Defensive WinShares for 4 Seasons in his Career. And He Appeared in the 2nd Place for 2 Seasons As Well.

Defensive Win Shares

1979-80 NBA 5.6 (1)
1980-81 NBA 6.1 (1)

1981-82 NBA 5.7 (2)
1982-83 NBA 5.6 (5)
1983-84 NBA 5.6 (1)
1984-85 NBA 5.2 (2)
1985-86 NBA 6.2 (1)
1986-87 NBA 4.8 (6)
Career NBA 59.0 (25)

Bird was a Great System Anchor "loose" Defender.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bird was a Great Anticipator, Stealer and Above Average Shot Blocker.

Bird`s High B-ball IQ, Tenacity, Toughness, Hustle and Anticipation was LEGENDARY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H76d...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Round Mound : 10-19-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
M.Bustly15A5RU8
High School Varsity 12th Man

Default Re: Larry Bird DEFENSE (VIDEO)

Too bad the same can't be said about Charles Barkley. TROLOLOL
M.Bustly15A5RU8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bustly15A5RU8

Barkley was an Above Average Defender and a Good One When He Wasn`t Lazy.

He Was Top 7 In Defensive Rating for a Whole Season when he had a Decent Center Around Him.

Bird had Parish, McHale, Maxwell, Walton and DJ as Great Defenders...So It Was Easier for Him

Chuck was a Very Good Shot Blocker for his Size in his Early Years when he Played PF.Averaging Near to 1.5 BPG and over 2 SPG for a Couple of Years.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bustly15A5RU8

I know you're just trolling, but he was above avg defender. The low post is the hardest position to guard specially if you're typically around 5 inches shorter. YOu can play the best defense and all they have to do is shoot over you. He was good at off the ball defense tho.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Rolando
Good High School Starter

Great Video.

Larry ripping and blocking on the likes of Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Dr.J, Drexler, etc.....

Also, when people mention that Larry had a hard time guarding smaller, quicker players, they forget that he easily was able to guard bigger players. The video is loaded with blocks and steals against power forwards and centers.

Larry made these guys look like kids.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Segatti
Good High School Starter

These stats mean nothing, sorry.

But I agree Bird was a very good defender. He will be the best SF all time for a long time.
Segatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
LEFT4DEAD
A WITNESS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segatti
These stats mean nothing, sorry.

But I agree Bird was a very good defender. He will be the best SF all time for a long time.

Enjoy calling him the best SF all time for next 2 years. Like it or not, reality is that Lebron will surpass him with 1 more ring.
Hell even Durant will be ranked above him when its all said and done. Bird stays very high on "the most overrated of all time" list.
LEFT4DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD

Enjoy calling him the best SF all time for next 2 years. Like it or not, reality is that Lebron will surpass him with 1 more ring.
Hell even Durant will be ranked above him when its all said and done. Bird stays very high on "the most overrated of all time" list.

His comment was stupid, yours is even worse.

Lebron more than likely will pass Bird, but to pass him with one more ring? No. Bird is a top 5 player ever. He is one of three players that got legitimate talks as the greatest player ever while he was talking. The other two were Wilt and Jordan. No one else got that kind of acclaim.

Read up, go watch, and study some Bird before you make such asinine comments. Durant has little to no shot of making it. Bird literally did everything better than Durant on the court. I'm hard pressed to find anything Durant does better.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
LEFT4DEAD
A WITNESS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

Lebron more than likely will pass Bird, but to pass him with one more ring? No. Bird is a top 5 player ever. He is one of three players that got legitimate talks as the greatest player ever while he was talking. The other two were Wilt and Jordan. No one else got that kind of acclaim.

Read up, go watch, and study some Bird before you make such asinine comments. Durant has little to no shot of making it. Bird literally did everything better than Durant on the court. I'm hard pressed to find anything Durant does better.
I have watched surely more Bird' games than you can think of, and I can only say that he was lucky because of playing with the most stacked team at the time. Their only true rivals were the Lakers, 2 years 76ers and later on the Pistons team and he managed to take only three championships with most stacked team of all time! How is that possible? Bird top 5 my ass! MJ, Russell, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq are all better than him and its not even close. How is he top 5 again???

And Lebron has already same amount of MVPs, only 1 less FMVP superior stats and he is only 27 year old.
And you are telling me that the kid who is 23 and is already top 2 player in the league, led his team to the finals last year has no chance of surpassing Bird, let alone saying he does nothing better even though he is so young and hasnt been even close to his prime!? And you are talking me about stupidity? Cmon now nikka

Last edited by LEFT4DEAD : 10-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.
LEFT4DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
JellyBean
College superstar

I think that Larry Legend was a decent defender. I don't think that he was some great lockdown defender, who was called upon to guard the other teams best player, that wasn't Bird. Bird to me, was an excellent help defender. He had a hig basketball IQ which led to him making great plays. He knew how to play the passing lanes, when to double down on someone, and when to take a charge. He wasn't afraid to mix it up.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Champ
Decent playground baller

Quote:

Good post.
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

Maybe you havnt been paying attention, but James is being compared to Jordan right now.

Assuming he gets two championships and four MVPs along with the other accolades hell receive, he's definately gonna surpass Bird as the number 1 ranked SF ever.

Durant has a much longer road, but he's on his way.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
SHAQisGOAT
Good college starter

Great vid! Bird was a really good defensive player, his instant impact wasn't only because of his amazing offense.

Quote:

Quote:
I have watched surely more Bird' games than you can think of, and I can only say that he was lucky because of playing with the most stacked team at the time. Their only true rivals were the Lakers, 2 years 76ers and later on the Pistons team and he managed to take only three championships with most stacked team of all time! How is that possible? Bird top 5 my ass! MJ, Russell, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq are all better than him and its not even close. How is he top 5 again???

And Lebron has already same amount of MVPs, only 1 less FMVP superior stats and he is only 27 year old.
And you are telling me that the kid who is 23 and is already top 2 player in the league, led his team to the finals last year has no chance of surpassing Bird, let alone saying he does nothing better even though he is so young and hasnt been even close to his prime!? And you are talking me about stupidity? Cmon now nikka

Doubt you have.

Most stacked team ever? The year before he got there, the Celtics had the 2nd worst record, and with the basically the same team he got them to the best record. He had to be the main man from the get go.
Magic had the 2nd greatest player ever to lead them and to learn from, and a stacked team from the start, why don't you say nothing about that? He also had one of the most stacked teams ever, plus he had stacked teams for more years than Bird, why don't you talk about that?

He played in the 80's and in the East, look at his competition, Lakers, Pistons, 76ers, Bucks, Rockets, Hawks, Bulls. Most competitive era, in the most competitive Conference. Heck, 83 Sixers, 87 Lakers, 89 Pistons, make the 10 best teams all time.

Bird has one of the strongest cases for top 5, what are you smoking? Must be some racist prick, or a 12 year old.

Plus LeBron clearly faced weaker competition than Bird. And he went into a team with already defined top players in the league, then you say Bird had the most stacked teams all time. He definitely had one of the most stacked teams, but he made that team, revived a dying franchise and faced tremendous competition.

Yeah LeBron definitely is on his way to be up there top 5, with two more rings and if it keeps it up on high level (longevity also counts much), now Durant? Please, he's a better scorer than Bird (consider that Larry wasn't all about scoring, he even dropped 60 one time) and that's it. He has a LONG way to catch up to a guy like Baylor or Hondo, let alone Bird lol.
Bird was already a champ in his second year, with a weaker team than Durant's, so what?
Bird won 3 straight MVP's, with Magic, Jordan, Wilkins, Kareem, Isiah, Moses, Erving, Barkley, Hakeem, King... in the league.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 10-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Is It Me Or Does ISH Have More Bird Haters than Before?

They Must All Be Black?

The Problem is...IT HURTS TO MUCH WHEN A PLAYER THAT HAS BELOW LEVEL ATHLETICSM CONTINOUSLY MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A PUPPET.

BIRD WAS A NON POTENT, NON LEAPING AND NOT QUICK WIZARD. BUT A WIZARD

HE HAD THE HIGHEST B-BALL IQ EVER AND THE BEST HAND EYE COORDINATION EVER.

COORDINATION AND SMARTS > Athletics.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
SHAQisGOAT
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Is It Me Or Does ISH Have More Bird Haters than Before?

They Must All Be Black?

The Problem is...IT HURTS TO MUCH WHEN A PLAYER THAT HAS BELOW LEVEL ATHLETICSM CONTINOUSLY MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A PUPPET.

BIRD WAS A NON POTENT, NON LEAPING AND NOT QUICK WIZARD. BUT A WIZARD

HE HAD THE HIGHEST B-BALL IQ EVER AND THE BEST HAND EYE COORDINATION EVER.

COORDINATION AND SMARTS > Athletics.

Actually coordination is a part of one's athletic ability imo. He just had the quickest hands, amazing hand eye coordination, really coordinated for his size, great footwork, deceptively quick also especially in small space, great stamina, really strong and relatively mobile for his size.
He didn't have below average athleticism, especially in his younger, non-injury years, dude was a pro-athlete, you can't be a pro bball player with below average athleticism. He was decent in terms of athleticism, especially when considering those things I mentioned above, when compared to other NBA players, especially the most athletic ones, I would agree about the average athleticism, but not really below average though.

Yea, seems like Bird has some haters around, I don't know about the black thing, I'm black, well, white father and black mother, don't know if that's what changes things, but I know black guys who really admire his game so I don't know.
Maybe it causes hate to see a white hick dominating in a sport where the best players are usually black, or like you've said, a dude that's not really athletic, making athletic freaks look like fools, say like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycH9GYDK74
And that's just one example out of many

edit: Also found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8Ur...ature=youtu.be
A guy with below average athleticism can't do that. He also has the same vert has Karl Malone, and Karl was never called a non leaping guy, probably because he's black and has that crazy frame.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 10-19-2012 at 10:23 PM.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: