Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Help me make this list - I'm talkin the "freaks" of Wilt's era - the guys that could dunk on anyone and played against Wilt for at least 2 seasons. The closest things to the Vince Carters and Dwight Howards of that time.

Off the top of my head (with my reasoning):

Guards and Forwards:
Elgin Baylor - reputation + got maybe a dozen dunks on film, two look great
Gus Johnson - reputation + got half a dozen + dunks on film, one is spectacular another is great
Joe Caldwell - reputation + got a few dunks on film, at least two look good
Connie Hawkins - reputation + got a few dunks on film, at least two look spectacular
Johnny Green - reputation + got 3 good dunks on film
Randy Smith - reputation + got one spectacular dunk on film
Greg Smith - reputation + got several great dunks on film
(Maybe Tommy Hawkins?) - reputation... but I've only got maybe 3 dunks on film, unfortunately none look good or special at all
(Maybe Happy Hairston?) - not aware of a reputation but got a few dunks on film that looked better than say, Tommy Hawkins
(Maybe Fred Carter?) - not aware of any reputation but has two good dunks on film
(Maybe Dave Bing?) - not aware of any reputation but has at least one good dunk on film
(Maybe Lou Hudson?) - not aware of any reputation but has at least one good dunk on film

Centers / PF's
Bill Russell - reputation + many dunks on film, many are great at least a few are spectacular
Elvin Hayes - reputation + a few dunks on film, at least one is spectacular
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - reputation + nearly all his dunks from that time look great
Luke Jackson - not aware of any reputation but I have two dunks on film that look powerful / great
Walt Bellamy - not aware of any reputation but at least two of his numerous dunks look great on film
(Maybe young Willis Reed?) - not aware of any reputation but some of his dunks look powerful on film

Obviously more than just these guys "could" or "did" dunk I've prob got footage of at least 1/3rd of the league dunking but I don't want to make a list of people who merely "could" dunk (like say, a Jerry West, Satch Sanders, or John Havlicek) I just want the players who could do it over anyone and built up a reputation for themselves. So if I've got players on here who shouldn't be let me know, and if I'm missing players let me know - all I'm going by right now is footage, or reputation based on testimonial, or both but chances are I'm missing players or possibly even giving too much credit to others based on them getting filmed with a decent dunk (which might otherwise be a rare occurance) in an 60s/early 70's game or documentary.

Once all these above-the-rim players are accounted for I could make a top 10 dunkers of the Wilt-era mix or something

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Fer°uhastÚ Murphy
lol... who?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
SHAQisGOAT
National High School Star

SHAQisGOAT has decent reputationSHAQisGOAT has decent reputation
Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

LeRoy Ellis (RIP), had some great hops, seen some spectacular dunks on youtube.

Sweet Lou had some great hops I believe

Cowens was a great athlete and had hops but no really a dunker, plus he started to play in Wilt's last years.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 10-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
I've only got two dunks of his that look decent (an Elgin rebound putback in the 1963 Finals, and the other that looked good was he receives a pass from Jerry West in 1972 and does a game-ending dunk) - what dunks of his am I missing out on? Gene Wiley almost looked to be a better dunker than Ellis when going by film alone or is the film I've watched misleading?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

Quote:

Sweet Lou had some great hops I believe

Cowens was a great athlete and had hops but no really a dunker, plus he started to play in Wilt's last years.
Lou Hudson?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
SHAQisGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I've only got two dunks of his that look decent (an Elgin rebound putback in the 1963 Finals, and the other that looked good was he receives a pass from Jerry West in 1972 and does a game-ending dunk) - what dunks of his am I missing out on? Gene Wiley almost looked to be a better dunker than Ellis when going by film alone or is the film I've watched misleading?

Hard to be precise and find the dunks right away but I'll try to find it, all I know is that I saw a few putback dunks from him that looked great.
IMO Ellis was a better leaper but that's just me.

Edit: a putback rebound after Elgin's miss was one of them I saw before, yes.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 10-18-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
SHAQisGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Lou Hudson?

Yeah, Sweet Lou because of his sweet jumper from midrange, he had hops.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Chapallaz
Banned

Chapallaz has decent reputationChapallaz has decent reputation

A bit towards the end of Wilt's career, but Rowland Garrett played unlike many of his peers.
Chapallaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapallaz
A bit towards the end of Wilt's career, but Rowland Garrett played unlike many of his peers.
Yah looks like he only played one season against Wilt, I don't have any footage of him unfortunately, my supply of stock footage ends in 1973 and he isn't even a part of my 1973 footage (that particular season I've only got a few brief playoff clips and the all-star game)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Billy Cunningham should definitely be in. His nick alone is enough to secure reputation points.

Quote:

I do remember one emphatic tomahawk-like dunk he once gave, and that play does exist. 2 more dunks at 1:07 and 1:31 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXc6u_jGVM
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Billy Cunningham should definitely be in. His nick alone is enough to secure reputation points.

I do remember one emphatic tomahawk-like dunk he once gave, and that play does exist. 2 more dunks at 1:07 and 1:31 here:
Cunninghams nickname might be misleading, Hannum refers to his nickname more along the lines of meaning "offensive punch" (like how boxing Kangaroos punch) in the '67 76ers documentary and I have absolutely zero footage of Billy Cunningham dunking even combing through ABA footage, I have footage of him jumping high on a rebound once - and on a wide open break away in the '72 all star game he elevates but does a soft layup, no dunk, unless you've seen him dunk I'm not sure he was ever considered a dunker
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
SHAQisGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas

Yeah, what I mean is from the games I've seen, he didn't used to dunk that much, taking his ability into account, because he definitely was a great athlete and had great hops.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation

Dr. J in the 70s had arguably the greatest leaping ability of anyone.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
jongib369

jongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputation

Clyde Lovellette- 1:07 high flyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAuQLyeB9mM

according to wilt there was a white guy on the lakers team he played on that could "Jump out the gym"....Dont remember the exact quote or players name but I do remember him talking about a white player who hardly played at all that could really well
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: