Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Old riddle...but still fun..

As always, restrain yourself if you heard it before...

We have a lot of sticks such as pictured above. What is the maximum number of sticks that we can arrange in such a way that each stick touches all the other sticks?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Old riddle...but still fun..

Off the top of my head I'd say it really depends on the dimensions, but since no info is given on that, there probably is a trick here.

Going to have my hair cut now, I now know what I'll be thinking about during that time
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Charlie Sheen has decent reputationCharlie Sheen has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Off the top of my head I'd say it really depends on the dimensions, but since no info is given on that, there probably is a trick here.

Going to have my hair cut now, I now know what I'll be thinking about during that time

six...trick is V < > whatever way u wanna look at the shape...height max 2
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Dimension...umm...lets just say it's your standard 2B pencil dimension...

six in not yet correct.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

A sphere with one end of each stick touching at the center? Kind of like this:

REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTION
A sphere with one end of each stick touching at the center? Kind of like this:

I dont see how each one is touching all the other ones in that sphere...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

Well, it depends on the dimensions. If they were just lines with no diameter, for instance, they'd all meet at the center of the sphere and their endpoints would be touching.

If that's not it, I don't know how a stick can touch all other sticks like that in any Euclidean sense. And assuming we can't bend the sticks.

Last edited by REACTION : 10-21-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTION
Well, it depends on the dimensions. If they were just lines with no dimensions, for instance, they'd all meet at the center of the sphere and their endpoints would be touching.
Well i have said the dimension would be your standard 2B pencil....unsharpened
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Well i have said the dimension would be your standard 2B pencil....unsharpened

Form a sphere with six pencils then? Eraser-to-eraser?

Touch two on the X plane, two on the Y plane, and two on the Z plane?

Edit: Wait, no.. two of them wouldn't be touching all others. I don't see how this is possible in a Euclidean space. We can't bend them, right?

Last edited by REACTION : 10-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

Got any math ones left?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How about something like this?
There's 12 of them.
I am not sure they would all be able to touch at the corners though, but they might.

Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I think Jasi's almost got it. If they're unsharpened, perhaps they don't need to be on the same "plane," if you catch my drift. It's easy to hope that we could treat them like simple points of intersection with the pencil tips, but yeah, since they're unsharpened, some of the sticks could be on top of each other.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

Quote:
There's 12 of them.
I am not sure they would all be able to touch at the corners though, but they might.

But they can't pierce through each other, so wouldn't some be touching the tops of others and some the bottoms?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
iamgine

Quote:
There's 12 of them.

Hmm, even if the corner touches, I'm not sure the middle would.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Hmm, even if the corner touches, I'm not sure the middle would.

Thinking about it again you could only maybe have 2 sticks in the middle like that. Dammit man, what hath thou released upon us?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: