Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

I have never bought a PC for gaming before but I am open to the idea now. I am bout to upgrade my laptop/tablet/pc game and I'm trying to find the right combination for my needs. So, I wanted to know if any ISHers have experience with this machine? Does it function well as a cpu? Will it has touch screen with Windows 8.

For $899 it seems like a good deal. Is there a way to have this simultaneous hooked up to a TV and a CPU monitor in separate rooms?
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

Don't buy Alienware if you don't want to build one yourself.

I suggest www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerpc.com
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Don't buy Alienware if you don't want to build one yourself.

I suggest www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerpc.com

why? it seems simple, small and looks nice. I wouldn't play it unless I could put it TV similarly to an XBOX or PS3.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

nathanjizzle has not been impressing people

i heard alienware sucks, and there customer service is shit. build your own computer.
nathanjizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Lebowski
Sweden Loves the Green

Lebowski has decent reputation

I will skip the "build one yourself" advice, it is not for everyone. BUT if you know someone who can help you with the assembly, the bang for your buck is much, much better!

Buying a complete computer is fine, however, with Alienware you pay to much for the name and looks, also as mentioned above it has Dell written all over it which is a warning sign. Try to find other stores who are tech-oriented who sell complete "game PC" packages, someone here must be able to help you out with that. If you live/plan to buy in Sweden I can suggest a few places =)

Also, try to aim a little higher then the i3 processor, and perhaps a GTX 660/HD 7870 graphics card, 8gb ram if it fits your budget.

Good luck!
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Never buy alienware.

always build it yourself.

building IS for everyone. it's so ****ign easy these days.

if you can assemble legos, you can build a computer

if you can't build a computer, you are a retarded person
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not everyone wants to try building it as there are things you can screw up with your parts.

But, most places will give you the option to assemble all your parts for a price (I've seen $50). To me, that's worth the labour because you're still saving a bunch overall by buying the parts sepatately and "building" it.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

I really don't want to keep upgrading stuff for pc gaming. Is that required a lot?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

first gaming computer i ever bought was a Alienware. paid $3500~ for it since i heard they were top of the line way back in the day before they ever combined with Dell. looking back i was a idiot. i'd never go that route again especially when the CD ROM drive failed less than a year later and i realized how they're a lot less quality than their appearances and sleek advertisements. then i bought from Ibuypower like 4~ years later and was pretty happy with it and a lot less regrets knowing i got a good value and all of the components i picked worked fine, not to mention it looked awesome(coolermaster aluminum refrigerator looking case looks so pimp).

i'm shopping for a new desktop now but not in a hurry since my laptop is decent enough for now. i'm pretty sure what i'm going to do is buy all of the components from Newegg and take them to a local computer shop to build it for me. i think i could get them to put it all together for less than $300 at worst altho i'm hoping they'll do it for like $150~, which would still be a nice savings from the prebuilt $1200~ best bang for the buck systems i've been looking at. thats IF i can't find a great deal on a refurbished desktop, refurbished is IMO the best way to go if you can get a good deal. i'm done with way overpaying for top of the line computer crap, learned my lesson.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

List the specs, alienware comes with many config.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Never buy Alienware. It's overpriced garbage marketed at people that want to get into PC gaming, but don't know anything about PCs.

If you don't want to build your own that's fine, you'll still overpay, but buy anything but Alienware and you'll overpay a lot less.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
List the specs, alienware comes with many config.

here is the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienwar...tab=overv iew

Quote:
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3450 processor
Features a 6MB cache and 3.1GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance.
8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 graphics
Feature 1GB GDDR5 video memory for lush images with intricate detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in Dell Wireless 1502 LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With Dell Stage, Alienware Command Center and more.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not a good deal at all, the NVIDIA GT 545 graphics card is low end. You're better off getting a Dell XPS 8500 and upgrade the card to a 660 regular/ 660 TI if you don't want to build your own.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Not a good deal at all, the NVIDIA GT 545 graphics card is low end. You're better off getting a Dell XPS 8500 and upgrade the card to a 660 regular/ 660 TI if you don't want to build your own.

but can I turn that on its side and put it on my entertainment center?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
but can I turn that on its side and put it on my entertainment center?

Nope, the xps 8500 is a regular desktop, not a slim design like the Alienware X51. If you must have the slim design then you're stuck with the X51, you can still upgrade the graphics card yourself but it's going to run you extra $200-300 depending on what you choose.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: