Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Anyone able to help me with a muscle growth diet?

I'm currently 6'1, 155lb. Just signed up at the gym, and going to be heading there 3-4 times a week. Need some advice on food to get the most out of it. What to eat for breakfast, at work, dinner etc. Any links you have would be super dooper. Oh, I don't eat meat though, only fish.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ę

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board
Default Re: Anyone able to help me with a muscle growth diet?

Let me guess. You want to be "swoll/huge" right?

Steps:
1.Gain Fat (eat alot, especially at night)
2.Turn to Muscle (workout heavy with less reps)

Doesn't really mattter what you eat really. Just eat alottt
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
Let me guess. You want to be "swoll/huge" right?

Steps:
1.Gain Fat (eat alot, especially at night)
2.Turn to Muscle (workout heavy with less reps)

Doesn't really mattter what you eat really. Just eat alottt

I'd prefer not to get fat if at all possible. Can't you just put on muscle gradually without getting fat first? I don't mind if it takes longer, I'd rather not turn into an unattractive blob.

I'm just looking to put on some upper body mass. Always had strong legs as I played team basketball and football from the age of 5-19.. but never did weight training.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ę

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
I'd prefer not to get fat if at all possible. Can't you just put on muscle gradually without getting fat first? I don't mind if it takes longer, I'd rather not turn into an unattractive blob.

I'm just looking to put on some upper body mass. Always had strong legs as I played team basketball and football from the age of 5-19.. but never did weight training.

I tried for like two years to gain mass muscle without fatting up but it just doesn't work like that.

Although you can gain "arm" muscle mass and keep your body the same.

I like this method^^^ because you look "swoll/huge" when you have on a shirt but once you you take it off you're gonna have a bird chess with huge arms.

IDk But for me it was extremely hard to gain upper body mass without putting on fat.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
I tried for like two years to gain mass muscle without fatting up but it just doesn't work like that.

Although you can gain "arm" muscle mass and keep your body the same.

I like this method^^^ because you look "swoll/huge" when you have on a shirt but once you you take it off you're gonna have a bird chess with huge arms.

IDk But for me it was extremely hard to gain upper body mass without putting on fat.

So did you end up doing the whole put on fat thing? I don't know if I could bring myself to look like that..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Calorie surplus, high-protein diet and heavy-heavy split routines.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ę

Quote:
So did you end up doing the whole put on fat thing? I don't know if I could bring myself to look like that..

Yea but I wasn't sloppy fat tho. I gained about 20 pounds(4 months) and then reduced that by like 12 pounds(2months). I ended up having bigger arms, a bigger six pack, bigger chest, bigger neck, etc.

I went from like a kobe physique to a lebron.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Yea but I wasn't sloppy fat tho. I gained about 20 pounds(4 months) and then reduced that by like 12 pounds(2months). I ended up having bigger arms, a bigger six pack, bigger chest, bigger neck, etc.

I went from like a kobe physique to a lebron.

Lol I'm not looking to get that big..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Judging by your weight at that height you are VERY thin... if you couldnt get fat by now (or hell even get to average weight for your height), then you wont do that by eating alot (anything) and training.. so dont worry... you have a rapid digestive system it seems...

You STILL will have to eat alot anyways if you want muscle growth... you will need specifically protein rich foods for example:

mature large beans
lentils, pulses, lenses, almonds, seeds and peanuts
Lobster and Crab
veal / beef
chicken
lamb
turkey
tuna
anchovies
salmon
fish eggs (roe and caviar)
eggs
cheeze
milk
and so on........

If you dont get enough protein then you can also intake 100% Whey Protein (best protein supplement)... You will be needing at least 1 gram of protein per 2.2 lbs (1 kilogram) of bodyweight... ...and oh, Vitamins i wont even mention, that is obligatory even if you dont train... and if you do its even more vital...

1. Lift heavy weights with low reps (~8 reps, a weight that allows you to lift it max 8 times per set, this workout is super intense on your muscles, 1 musclegroup per week is then adequate)
2. Eat like a mofo (no food/protein = muscle cant repair = no result = risk for even muscle/strength decrease)
3. Sleep (not enough sleep = muscle cant repair so fast = slower results and risk for even no results)
4. Repeat
5. Profit

Last edited by pauk : 10-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Start by sticking to a macronutrient breakdown. 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. Remember each gram of carbs and protein = 4 calories, each gram of fat = 9 calories. Bump your calories each week until you're gaining 1-2 lbs per week. Any more than that and it's just going to be fat. This is a tried and true bulking diet.

Once you're able to stick to that for a few weeks you can start worrying about micronutrients, nutrient timing, insulin management and other details. But for now just stick to the basics. Macronutrient breakdown is the most important part of the equation.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Judging by your weight at that height you are VERY thin... if you couldnt get fat by now (or hell even get to average weight for your height), then you wont do that by eating alot (anything) and training.. so dont worry... you have a rapid digestive system it seems...

You STILL will have to eat alot anyways if you want muscle growth... you will need specifically protein rich foods for example:

mature large beans
lentils, pulses, lenses, almonds, seeds and peanuts
Lobster and Crab
veal / beef
chicken
lamb
turkey
tuna
anchovies
salmon
fish eggs (roe and caviar)
eggs
cheeze
milk
and so on........

If you dont get enough protein then you can also intake 100% Whey Protein (best protein supplement)... You will be needing at least 1 gram of protein per 2.2 lbs (1 kilogram) of bodyweight... ...and oh, Vitamins i wont even mention, that is obligatory even if you dont train... and if you do its even more vital...

1. Lift heavy weights with low reps (~8 reps, a weight that allows you to lift it max 8 times per set)
2. Eat like a mofo (no food/protein = muscle cant repair = no result = risk for even muscle/strength decrease)
3. Sleep (not enough sleep = muscle cant repair so fast = slower results and risk for even no results)
4. Repeat
5. Profit

Cheers Pauk. Any particular foods to avoid completely?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Cheers Pauk. Any particular foods to avoid completely?

Ofcourse, fast food, sugar, salt, coca cola and so on... i think most (and probably even you deep down inside) know perfectly well what is not so healthy for you

Some fat is actually extremly healthy for you though:

GOOD FATS

Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, also extremly powerful in protein!)
Peanuts, Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews (all also extremly powerful in protein!)
Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
Flaxseed
Olives
Tofu
Olive oil
Soybean oil
Corn oil
Safflower oil
Canola oil
Sunflower oil
Peanut oil
Sesame oil
Avocados
OMEGA-3 (supplement, awesome thing for your heart & brain)

BAD FATS

High-fat cuts of meat from beef, lamb, pork
Chicken skin
Whole-fat dairy products
Butter
Cheese
Ice cream
Palm and coconut oil
Lard
Cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza, hamburgers etc.
Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)
Stick margarine
Vegetable shortening
Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)
Candy bars

BUT............ again, with your weight at that height, i wouldnt worry to much, you need weight...

Eat healthy and ALOT... or... Eat anything... or both... :P

Last edited by pauk : 10-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
Geriatric
Old Bum

Geriatric has decent reputationGeriatric has decent reputation

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh...orksheet_(WIP)
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Ofcourse, fast food, sugar, salt, coca cola and so on... i think most (and probably even you deep down inside) know perfectly well what is not so healthy for you

Some fat is actually extremly healthy for you though:

GOOD FATS

Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, also extremly powerful in protein!)
Peanuts, Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews (all also extremly powerful in protein!)
Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
Flaxseed
Olives
Tofu
Olive oil
Soybean oil
Corn oil
Safflower oil
Canola oil
Sunflower oil
Peanut oil
Sesame oil
Avocados
OMEGA-3 (supplement, awesome thing for your heart & brain)

BAD FATS

High-fat cuts of meat from beef, lamb, pork
Chicken skin
Whole-fat dairy products
Butter
Cheese
Ice cream
Palm and coconut oil
Lard
Cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza, hamburgers etc.
Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)
Stick margarine
Vegetable shortening
Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)
Candy bars

BUT............ again, with your weight at that height, i wouldnt worry to much, you need weight...

Eat healthy and ALOT... or... Eat anything... or both... :P
Oh, of course I generally know what's healthy and not.. but I've heard things like avoid pasta/carbs completely, but I thought there were some healthy pastas and breads (multigrain) etc.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

How have you played football and not done weight training? Unless you're talking about soccer.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: