Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here
Default Black Christian here, ask me anything

Preferably not too too biblical since I'm not the most knowledgable person to ask about things pertained inside the good book and I'd hate to give someone inaccurate information.
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Preferably not too too biblical since I'm not the most knowledgable person to ask about things pertained inside the good book and I'd hate to give someone inaccurate information.

So what makes you 'Christian' if you don't know shit about the bible? Isn't knowing/believing the content within the good book the basis of being Christian? I mean it's not hereditary like race, nationality, etc.

Also, what is the name of the dog in your avatar?
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
So what makes you 'Christian' if you don't know shit about the bible? Isn't knowing/believing the content within the good book the basis of being Christian? I mean it's not hereditary like race, nationality, etc.
I know quite a bit about it and you can ask me anything and if I'm not 100% certain, I'll tell you. It's not permanent but I definitely inherited my faith. Mom and pops are both believers, so am I.

Quote:
Also, what is the name of the dog in your avatar?
I call her Debra
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I call her Debra
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Are you aware of how ironic your religious belief is? It's funny how black christians could could reference a bible verse to condone homophobia yet they forget that the white men did the same thing to justify enslaving their people. Does anyone remind you that the faith that you're preaching was the same faith that subjugated your people. Did anyone note the reasons there are so many black Christians out there is not because of divine truth but because slave-masters converted your ancestors?
If you're a black Christian, you have a real short memory - Chris Rock

Ok, nice meeting you. I'll better leave as fast as I can. k, thx, bye.

Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
It's funny how black christians could could reference a bible verse to condone homophobia yet they forget that the white men did the same thing to justify enslaving their people.
I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?

Last edited by BuGzBuNNy : 11-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who's your favorite wrestler?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Who's your favorite wrestler?
When I used to watch WCW it was stone cold or I think the undertaker? I also remember Kane.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
BuGzBuNNy

u mad?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?

Just some examples, sure there's more, too lazy to look:

Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'.

Some Christians and Muslims believed the descendants of Canaan were Africans, so naturally they used the above text to justify the institution of slavery.

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5)

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

I am
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus 21:16
Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death
But then again you have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus 21:20-21
When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.
I'd have to read for context, without it one can make anything of a quote.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
But then again you have...

I'd have to read for context, without it one can make anything of a quote.

The context being, don't steal slaves and try to profit from selling them, but owning them and beating them to death under the right circumstances is completely legit.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Just some examples, sure there's more, too lazy to look:

Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'.

Some Christians and Muslims believed the descendants of Canaan were Africans, so naturally they used the above text to justify the institution of slavery.

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5)

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9)
Thanks for the quotes. I'll put on my to do list to read all the quotes regarding slavery for context. I'm reading different takes on it on various sites. I can recall my old pastor speaking on it but I don't remember his stance.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: