Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Going to New Orleans next weekend

Never been before. Gonna be there for 2-3 days. What would you guys reccomend in terms of things to do? Bourbon street seems like an obvious, but any other suggestions, or "hidden gems" that most people don't know about.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Going to New Orleans next weekend

Oh my, where to start. You know me being a food guy NO is high on my list of favorite places. Bourbon St. is a must just for the insanity and vast amount of drunk females, but it really isn't indicative of the city as a whole. A few of my faves:

Antoines: The oldest restaurant in the country serving old school Creole and French-leaning fare. A good example of what high society NO was like 50 years ago.

Franks: Go for lunch and get a Muffaletta, fully dressed. You won't regret it.

Mother's: In the central business district which is rather sterile compared to the French Quarter but if you want some of the best down home Cajun, Creole, and traditional Southern food this is the place.

Numerous oyster bars: Felix's, ACME, Royal House, Napolean, to name a few.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop: The oldest bar in America. Not that remarkable a place but you gotta have a drink there just to say you did.

Old Absinthe House: Another Bourbon St. place that isn't too touristy and has some cool history.

Pat O'brien's: They invented the Hurricane. Have one and then get the hell out. Too many douches to count.

Preservation Hall: Experience NO jazz the way it is supposed to be experienced.

There are other more cultural and certainly more seedy things to see and do. These are just my faves.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Oh my, where to start. You know me being a food guy NO is high on my list of favorite places. Bourbon St. is a must just for the insanity and vast amount of drunk females, but it really isn't indicative of the city as a whole. A few of my faves:

Antoines: The oldest restaurant in the country serving old school Creole and French-leaning fare. A good example of what high society NO was like 50 years ago.

Mother's: In the central business district which is rather sterile compared to the French Quarter but if you want some of the best down home Cajun, Creole, and traditional Southern food this is the place.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop: The oldest bar in America. Not that remarkable a place but you gotta have a drink there just to say you did.

Old Absinthe House: Another Bourbon St. place that isn't too touristy and has some cool history.

Pat O'brien's: They invented the Hurricane. Have one and then get the hell out. Too many douches to count.

There are other more cultural and certainly more seedy things to see and do. These are just my faves.

This is a freaking good list.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Great place...be safe though.

I'd say bourbon street and just eat as much good food as you can.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Saintsfan1992 has decent reputation

Please just stay in the well lit areas.
You will be fine enjoy.
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Great list.

Cochon is a great recent restaurant in NO. Definitely get the red beans and rice at Mother's. The beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumond are touristy, but fun. Napoleon House in the French Quarter for Pimm's cup and a muffaletta and I think Central Grocery is the most famous muffaletta place.

Also check out some zydeco music. Also check out the rock N bowl
http://www.rocknbowl.com/

There's new Orleans musician called Kermit Ruffins who does a good weeknight gig away from the tourist spots. They cook up a big pot of red beans and rice and you get free food with the admissions price. That was a fun night, however, I remember it took for ever to get a cab when we left.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Depends what you like. They have plenty of places if you like jazz. They have plantations, cemeteries, and Jackson Square to visit. Harrah's if you're into gambling. The French Quarter if you're into having fun. I'd recommend getting Grenades from the Tropical Isle. Easily my fav drinks from down there.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

My favorite thing to do in NO is not getting stabbed
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls

and how many times have you actually been to New Orleans?

Reminds me of people who are afraid to ride the NYC subways.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

I'm jelly. I want to visit New Orleans so bad!
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

d.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Just wear a fake unibrow and you will never get in trouble. Heck, you might even get fans.
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

'preciate it. I can't wait.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

It's about an 11 hour drive from where I live in St. Pete to New Orleans, and I may make the journey, as well as the destination, part of the whole experience as well. Looks like Mobile, AL, and Gulfport, MS are along the way. Have no idea what happens in those places, but may make a stop.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
'preciate it. I can't wait.

Have fun. The last time I was there the cab driver taking me into the French Quarter was smoking a spliff and the cab driver taking me back to my hotel at 3 am was flat out drunk. Good times.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:

I did about half this list.

Man, what a hell of a city. Bourbon Street was a lot bigger than I expected. I expected a big street, but not THAT big. It was amazing, and I'm already planning a return trip.

Also, on my drive there, stopped and checked out Mobile, AL and Gulfport, MI. Cool cities.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: