Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Default How much money do you need as a 67 year old man?

I'm just curious.

I understand the part where he wanted less travel, if he has some physical ailments, but the money???

He's already set for life, not to mention his gf is rich as hell too. What does he need the money for? Is he even going to be able to spend it all?

I mean I question why the hell a 67 year old man would come back to coach already, but since he desired to coach, why the money??
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
eriX
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: How much money do you need as a 67 year old man?

a logical answer would be that what was released was actually just made up, and Phil never agreed or whatever happened under the table, and they just set up a bit of an exit to get Mike D'Antoni.
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Rubio2Gasol
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
I'm just curious.

I understand the part where he wanted less travel, if he has some physical ailments, but the money???

He's already set for life, not to mention his gf is rich as hell too. What does he need the money for? Is he even going to be able to spend it all?

I mean I question why the hell a 67 year old man would come back to coach already, but since he desired to coach, why the money??

To prove a point to Jimmy Buss.

Full control of basketball operations and the higher salary go hand in hand.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
To prove a point to Jimmy Buss.
What point? That he's too good and that the Lakers can't afford to hire him?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Xover
Great young streetballer

family? friends? if you don't need the money I'm sure other people can sure use it
Xover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
I<3NBA
College superstar

More
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
eliteballer
NBA lottery pick

You can never have too much money when you have children, which Phil does.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
COnDEMnED
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
I'm just curious.

I don't suspect the money part is why Phil wasn't hired. My guess is it's because Phil wanted ownership. Jim is already upset Phils fingers smell like his sister, he's not going to give Phil his power too. Truth be told if Phil wasn't dating Jenny Buss he probably gets everything he wants and is our coach today.
COnDEMnED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
swi7ch
Banned

It's not just the money.

Phil wanted more control of things... Phil didn't want to go to all the road games... Lakers weren't sure the Triangle would be a better fit... Lakers weren't sure how much Phil has left in his coaching tank... etc.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
arifgokcen
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

It wasnt about the money.

It was about the demands.Forgoing road games, controlling the people who works for the lakers,having a successor.Its like he wanted to be both GM and coach.It was just too much.I would have done the same thing(i mean buss)
arifgokcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
It's not just the money.

Phil wanted more control of things... Phil didn't want to go to all the road games... Lakers weren't sure the Triangle would be a better fit... Lakers weren't sure how much Phil has left in his coaching tank... etc.

They talked to Phil first knowing full well the triangle is part and parcel of Phil Jackson coaching your team, so if that is what they are saying, he never should have received a call in the first place.

And, I don't see D'Antoni's r-n-g style fitting the old legs and spotty perimeter shooting of the Lakers.

I see this as them not buying into whatever else Phil wanted, and Jim Buss' ego saying "No f*****g way that will happen."
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

He obviously would have full control of the coaching aspect: returning to the triangle offense, what players to use and so on

but why would he want to be involved deep in the lakers organization now? after 2 years of coaching he'd be nearing 70.. just enjoy your life! is having a chance to win another ring and further your legend not enough?

And he is a man of philosophy.. oh well. I just expected a man at that stage of life, after having accomplished everything career-wise and financially, to not have those desires and ego. But what do I know
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

You can always leave more money for your kids and if you're arguably the greatest coach of all time in any sport you should expect to get paid top dollar and an organization with the money, legacy and expectation of the Lakers shouldn't hesitate to give you all of that and more.

With that said, if he's not healthy enough to travel to every game that's a concern that merits looking in another direction. I do wonder why they didn't look at Sloan. D'Antoni's time in NY doesn't disqualify him from ever coaching again but we've seen nothing from him that says he's the guy to take a team to the Championship and with talent like the Lakers I'd want someone as proven as possible. So if PJ isn't healthy enough give me Sloan.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
COnDEMnED
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
You can always leave more money for your kids and if you're arguably the greatest coach of all time in any sport you should expect to get paid top dollar and an organization with the money, legacy and expectation of the Lakers shouldn't hesitate to give you all of that and more.

With that said, if he's not healthy enough to travel to every game that's a concern that merits looking in another direction. I do wonder why they didn't look at Sloan. D'Antoni's time in NY doesn't disqualify him from ever coaching again but we've seen nothing from him that says he's the guy to take a team to the Championship and with talent like the Lakers I'd want someone as proven as possible. So if PJ isn't healthy enough give me Sloan.
Couldn't agree more Mr. Green. As I mentioned in another topic, how is it that Mike Fricking Dunleavy gets a 90 minute phone interview and Jerry Sloan doesn't even get a phone call, text, or e-mail? Seems like a very rushed decision if you didn't even interview all the coaches on your very short list. Know what I mean?
COnDEMnED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

I think there is a great 'Hitler Reacts' video possibility here with Hitler representing Jimmy Buss.

The scene opens with Mitch whispering in Jimmy's ear: "Der Fuhrer, errr..... I mean Jim, they're all gathered here, completely giddy in anticipation of you announcing that Phil Jackson will return to coach the Lakers."

And the rant begins. . . . . .
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: