Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,467
Default Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

I cant stand watching this guy. I know I know if he was drafted late first rd you dont complain as much. But he wasnt therefore we look at where he was picked and what he is doing. 3 straight possessions vs Cavs he bricked it. 3pt shot wide open Bruce Bowen corner pocket area? Clank. One pull up, clank. Another spin around uncontested 8 foot jumper? Clank. I cant take this dude man. So what he can rebound the hell out of the ball. He's just so damn wack. Tired of him.

Who here sees promise, potential? Talk to me.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I cant stand watching this guy. I know I know if he was drafted late first rd you dont complain as much. But he wasnt therefore we look at where he was picked and what he is doing. 3 straight possessions vs Cavs he bricked it. 3pt shot wide open Bruce Bowen corner pocket area? Clank. One pull up, clank. Another spin around uncontested 8 foot jumper? Clank. I cant take this dude man. So what he can rebound the hell out of the ball. He's just so damn wack. Tired of him.

Who here sees promise, potential? Talk to me.

I like his skillset, but he continues to disappoint me as well.

I really believed he could become prime Boris Diaw...but he looks more and more like Jared Jefferies. I think confidence is more his problem than anything though, and thats tough to fix in my opinion.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
chips93
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,202
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
I like his skillset, but he continues to disappoint me as well.

I really believed he could become prime Boris Diaw...but he looks more and more like Jared Jefferies. I think confidence is more his problem than anything though, and thats tough to fix in my opinion.

jared jefferies



evan turner reminds you if jefferies?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
chocolatethunder
Decent college freshman
 
chocolatethunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,607
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I cant stand watching this guy. I know I know if he was drafted late first rd you dont complain as much. But he wasnt therefore we look at where he was picked and what he is doing. 3 straight possessions vs Cavs he bricked it. 3pt shot wide open Bruce Bowen corner pocket area? Clank. One pull up, clank. Another spin around uncontested 8 foot jumper? Clank. I cant take this dude man. So what he can rebound the hell out of the ball. He's just so damn wack. Tired of him.

Who here sees promise, potential? Talk to me.
I dont dislike him. I actually think that he handles the ball really well and is a better passer than Holiday. They are just not made to be on the same team. In addition, Collins can't stand Turner but loves Holiday. I don't like Holidays game. I think that he shoots too much. I don't like today's "point guard" they shoot too much for me. Turner and Holiday both need the ball in their hands to be effective and since Holiday is Collins' fav, Turner is assed out. He would be much better on a different team. The worst part about Turner is his jumper. He also is a pouter who allows himself to get taken out of the game mentally too quickly when things don't go his way. He'll be gone in a year and play well somewhere else. That's how it happens here.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,791
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

His awful shooting will always hold him back. His other skills will keep him in the league as a decent rotation player though. Probably not what you want to hear from a #2 pick. He's like a smaller Boris Diaw.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,467
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
I dont dislike him. I actually think that he handles the ball really well and is a better passer than Holiday. They are just not made to be on the same team. In addition, Collins can't stand Turner but loves Holiday. I don't like Holidays game. I think that he shoots too much. I don't like today's "point guard" they shoot too much for me. Turner and Holiday both need the ball in their hands to be effective and since Holiday is Collins' fav, Turner is assed out. He would be much better on a different team. The worst part about Turner is his jumper. He also is a pouter who allows himself to get taken out of the game mentally too quickly when things don't go his way. He'll be gone in a year and play well somewhere else. That's how it happens here.

He takes himself out of games easily which I dont like. He also plays like a girl too in that he has handles to get to the rack but is too hesistant. He's unsure when he attacks. He could actually forget his broke jumper and attack the rim but has a soft way going about it. I love Jrue Holiday game but I understand you not liking todays PGs.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
chocolatethunder
Decent college freshman
 
chocolatethunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,607
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
He takes himself out of games easily which I dont like. He also plays like a girl too in that he has handles to get to the rack but is too hesistant. He's unsure when he attacks. He could actually forget his broke jumper and attack the rim but has a soft way going about it. I love Jrue Holiday game but I understand you not liking todays PGs.

I wanna be honest, sometimes Holiday shoots at the wrong times and frustrates me. I feel like he shoots too much and forces stuff at times. To me, he's better off the ball. Thatll never happen but I feel that Turner is better as a primary ball handler in terms of getting people involved. I know what you're saying about Turner being a girl and honestly I think part of that is Collins always getting on him and keeping him on a short leash. Of course that just makes him seem like more of a b*tch. Like I said he'll probably play well after he leaves Philly.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
chocolatethunder
Decent college freshman
 
chocolatethunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,607
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Just to be clear though, I'm no huge Turner fan I just think he's better than how he normally plays. He's not had a bad game tonight. I am a huge Doug Collins fan but he, like many other old school coaches can kind of find a rookie and ride him. He did it w/Kwame in DC and Larry Brown did it w Darko in Detroit and Bill Fitch did it w Kenny Anderson in Jersey and Dan Issel did it w LaFrentz in Denver. Some guys respond and others shrink. Turner shrinks and that's no good. Maybe a change of scenery will make a difference.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

I like his game a lot. But the only good thing you can say about his performances is that he is one hell of a rebounder. But he's playing so badly that even that is gonna start slipping.


And I think he's a quality partner for Holiday. I like Holiday's game. He's an old-school guard, who happens to be a lead guard. He's shooting a lot and turning the ball over because wings are not doing enough and there isn't enough potency outside of him...people who were talking about Jennings or Irving as an all-star this year...Holiday has been (even before shutting Irving down) better than all of them.


And I actually think that Turner could be a great partner for him...but he's gotta play better. Maybe Jrue can go out of his way to get Turner involved. The team needs it.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
chocolatethunder
Decent college freshman
 
chocolatethunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,607
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
I like his game a lot. But the only good thing you can say about his performances is that he is one hell of a rebounder. But he's playing so badly that even that is gonna start slipping.


And I think he's a quality partner for Holiday. I like Holiday's game. He's an old-school guard, who happens to be a lead guard. He's shooting a lot and turning the ball over because wings are not doing enough and there isn't enough potency outside of him...people who were talking about Jennings or Irving as an all-star this year...Holiday has been (even before shutting Irving down) better than all of them.


And I actually think that Turner could be a great partner for him...but he's gotta play better. Maybe Jrue can go out of his way to get Turner involved. The team needs it.
The reason I say that they are a bad pair is because they almost never play well in the same game. If Turner is on its because he has the ball a lot of the time and if Holiday plays well it's when he has the ball most of the time. I don't really see Holiday as an old school guard. I see him as a shoot first guy who is def aggressive but is not a good distributor. He gets assists but he doesn't see the floor as well as Turner or a good pg does. I don't really buy the line that the wings aren't doing their jobs. He's just not my type of player but I don't think he's bad he's just not my choice.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,544
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Turner needs to be on another team to reach his potential. He's effective when used as a playmaker but doesn't get utilized as one with the 76ers.

The funny thing is as big a letdown Turner has been for the 76ers, if they trade him they will get killed by the media a few years after the trade. If Turner goes to a team that lets him be a playmaker he'll likely become a regular All Star candidate.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
el gringos
Great college starter
 
el gringos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,516
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Turner just needs igoudala gone and then he will be good. No wait now he just needs Jrue gone- he'd be great on a college team
el gringos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
FindingTim
National High School Star
 
FindingTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

I think Turner is a great talent being horribly misused. And like other posters have mentioned, Jrue is the primary ballhandler and seems to really hinder Turner's production and opportunities. I am not sure whether they can co-exist.

I like Holiday, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd deal him and focus my team around Evan Turner. His game is really, really solid other than his shot, and even if his shot never improves he is still a very good playmaker with good size and good court vision. I think it says a lot that Evan is putting up numbers despite Jrue running around with the ball 70% of the time (seemingly)

So are there any Evan Turner fans? yes, absolutely. I have always liked his game, and given the opportunity I think he can reach the heights of a prime Brandon Roy.
FindingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,172
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Evan Turner has a lot of skills and talent. But he does not know how to use them properly. It looks more and more like he is just an idiot.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Seriously are there any Evan Turner fans? (Grinder?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
jared jefferies



evan turner reminds you if jefferies?

Obvious hyperbole, so glad youre a master of the english language and its various nuances.

But Jefferies in his early days was drafted as a 6"9 guy who could bring the ball up the floor, defend well, and provide intangibles: chasing after lose balls, deflections etc all while having a putrid jumpshot

Jefferies isnt a player many have seen for extended minutes so i dont blame tou for not knowing his game
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy