Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Good shooters how do you practice

Those of you who are good shooters what did you do to become a good shooter. Did you just put up a lot of shots every day or did you do something more structured?
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Good shooters how do you practice

I've always found that shooting straight on to start with is important. Particularly with 3's. It gives you the best sense of depth perception, allows you to figure out the touch needed to get the ball the distance, and most importantly, shoot straight.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Those of you who are good shooters what did you do to become a good shooter. Did you just put up a lot of shots every day or did you do something more structured?

first you must have all the essential elements of a good jumpshot. no point putting up tons of shots if you're replicating bad habits every shot.

i start with a warmup from straight ahead, like plowking said, it helps with depth perception. I usually start right in front of the rim and shoot without my off hand. make 5 shots and then take a step back until i can no longer shoot comfortably with one hand. Then i start again from right in front of the rim and then shoot with my offhand. work myself as far as i can without breaking my form (THIS IS KEY, DONT SACRIFICE FORM FOR RANGE, if you cant shoot it comfortably, dont worry itll come eventually if you practice, it means your muscles arent used to it)

that should take about 15-20 mins, depending on how accurate you are at first. It might seem childish but i 100% GUARANTEE that after a few sessions you will be a better shooter
then i like to pick a specific type of shot (ie. one dribble pull ups, coming around screens, rip throughs etc.) and drill that. Usually aim for an optimistic percentage, i do a 2 wind sprints everytime i miss the goal (just for added fun lol)
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I never shootaround with structure. I just go by feel and what I want to work on that day.

Sometimes I'll only use my off-hand. Sometimes I'll shoot extra free throws. Sometimes I'll focus on eurostep finishing.

Etc.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Whenever I shoot/practice shots lately, it seems like my long range 2/3 pointer is on whenever I practice some easier inside shots. It just seems like I get into a rhythm a lot easier and it's helping those harder shots.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Its gotta be an everyday affiar. Back in my day playing vars I used to do a 30 minute workout before school just shooting up shots. I didn't have a lot of time so I used to try to get as many up as I could. It kept more sharp and confident for gametime at the park or a game
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
01amberfirewv

Thanks for the advice. Right now I just play for fun and I try to shoot around almost every day but it doesn't seem to help in games. This may be due to the fact that I started later than most of the players I play with and I spent most of my "athletic prime" in the weight room. I'm looking for advice because I coach and I hate to tell players to do something if it's not working for me.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
the_chosen_1
Decent playground baller

the_chosen_1 has decent reputation

I always start with ballhandling and touch drills. I will then start within a few feet of the rim and shoot without my guide hand; this is continued from all angles and I work out to the longest comfortable distance. After I feel good about that (5-10 minutes), I shoot freethrows for another 5-10 mintues to reinforce the form and acclimate the guide hand.

To finish I will move back closer to the rim and start to shoot normal jumpers from all angles working my way out to longest comfortable distance (range will increase).
the_chosen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Q.E.C
нυєy

Q.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation here

Something that helped me is freethrows. Once I found a good form for my freethrows and was able to hit about 10 or 20 in a row easily, I moved around to other areas of the court and kept my form. I also make sure I have a good grip on the ball (no homo ).
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You start from under the basket. Do layups, hook shots, make sure you're making baskets. You are increasing the range bit by bit, changing sides. Steve Nash posted the workout, I have it somewhere. Myself I always hit few shots not using the legs at all, and then few from the squat position jumping up.

Basically, make sure you hitting high percentage, or get back closer to the basket. Increase range gradually.

here steve nash on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
stevieming

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Biggest thing for me is makes.

Once you're making lots of shots close by, it gives you confidence, then I step out further, if I am missing more than three shots in a row when I am further away, I step back in closer again.

You've got to be able to make at least 5-6 shots in a row when you close, as in within the free throw line area.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
01amberfirewv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieming
Biggest thing for me is makes.

Once you're making lots of shots close by, it gives you confidence, then I step out further, if I am missing more than three shots in a row when I am further away, I step back in closer again.

You've got to be able to make at least 5-6 shots in a row when you close, as in within the free throw line area.

1st thing I tell my players is start close and move back. I do this and it seems to work for a while but after while I lose my shot and its hard to get it back.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
nixonjames
Can barely lace up my sneakers

nixonjames has an OK reputation so far

When I was younger I had to adjust my shot because I started playing young (like 8) and developed a bad habit of cocking my elbow out about 45 deg off center.

The best practice I can recommend is obviously get in the gym as much as you can but when practicing your form. I can't stress enough practice up close with 1 hand. Learn that balance without your other hand, and slowly move back. Once you're almost to the free throw line and can nail those with consistency you're starting to get your form locked in.

The best 'anywhere' practice was a habit I picked up from a camp in junior high. You can do it lying in bed, assuming you're halfway coordinated and have enough ceiling space. Just line up your jumper while you're lying down, try to roll it off your finger tips in the shooting motion and have it grow straight up and straight down. Doin this every night growing up is a huge part of the reason I developed into a shooter despite being taller (6'4") but it's a lot of fun being a nightmare with the in/out game to play with.

Just remembered in the summers growing up I would shoot 60-100 free throws/day which is another good way to get double duty out of your practice (reinforcing your form/free throw routine).
nixonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: