Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default CBC: 5 Reasons Colangelo Should be Fired

Quote:
The Bryan Colangelo era must come to an end. Mired in a four-year playoff drought and a 12-year "contender" drought, losing has become second nature to the Raptors, and expected by their fans. With a record of 3-11, the organization is looking down the barrel of another lost season. The current roster is lacking talent, plain and simple. When you don't have the players to win, the fault lies with the general manager.

So here are five reasons why Bryan Colangelo should be fired:

1. The wing rotation

The small-forward position has been an enigma to Colangelo during his time with the Raptors. Jason Kapono, Hedo Turkoglu, Jamario Moon have all occupied that position with little success. The current wing rotation might be the worst in the league. Outside of DeMar DeRozan, the Raptors are playing fringe NBA players. Landry Fields, Alan Anderson, Dominic McGuire and Linas Kleiza are all end of the bench players being asked to deliver significant results. None have a specific skill which sets them apart and all lack the ball handling and three-point shooting to be consistent threats. Now, didn't they draft a wing player, 8th overall, who was NBA-ready? Terrence Ross looks completely lost and unprepared for the NBA pace. The wing rotation has been a weakness for far too long and that's a strong indictment on Colangelo's tenure.

2. Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani

Colangelo has never been shy in moving players, but for whatever reason Calderon and Bargnani have remained immune. In reality, they should have been shipped out long ago. Calderon's inability to play a modicum of defence is losing the team games. Opposing teams go out of their way to attack him and have been rewarded by doing so. Bargnani remains the most frustrating player to have ever donned a Raptors uniform. Despite moments of brilliance, it's impossible to build a culture of accountability by giving minutes and shots to the apathetic 7-footer. His bouts of indifference frustrate fans and must infuriate his fellow teammates. Both Calderon and Bargnani lack the grit and motor to lift the Raptors to any level of success.

3. Lack of a veteran presence

In the heyday of the Toronto Raptors, the Vince Carter era, there was a strong veteran presence. Kevin Willis, Charles Oakley, and Mugsey Bogues led the team with a no-nonsense locker-room presence. No such identity is present on the roster, no internal accountability exists amongst the ranks of the players. In fact, the lack of an experienced voice has extended for almost three years now, since Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion. Veterans don't just help you win games, they mold the young players.

4. No discernible vision

Are the Raptors rebuilding or contending? This has been the question throughout Colangelo's tenure as the team building strategy seems to wander. Ultimately, it appears the Raptors have been content with taking a stab at the eighth playoff spot, in a vain attempt to build a 'winning atmosphere.' But, more often than not, this strategy has left the team in the middle of the lottery acquiring low-ceiling players like Ed Davis and Ross. The current roster, at its peak, is first-round fodder for the superior Eastern Conference powers. With the Raptors' first rounder most likely heading to the Oklahoma City Thunder (via the Kyle Lowry trade), the direction of this team is aimless.

5. Culture of excuses

What's most alarming is the culture of excuses which is wafting out from the team. Poor officiating has become the go-to reason for the latest fourth-quarter breakdowns. Whether it comes from the on-air personalities, players, coaches or management, there's a clearly strong focus on the referees. Now, there have been a lot of questionable calls, I'll admit that. But when the team is attempting to construct a system of accountability, excuses are counterproductive. This isn't anything new, in fact, this has been going on for quite some time in Toronto. Jorge Garbajosa's infamous leg injury was to blame for the Raptors' playoff loss in 2007. Chris Bosh's lack of toughness and leadership were used as a crutch for the failures of the various roster concoctions. Colangelo has used so many different excuses for Bargnani, that I've simply lost count at this point. It starts from the top and it trickles down.

Bryan Colangelo is not without his supporters. Many believe he has brought a reputation of legitimacy to the Raptors' organization. This may be true. But one can look no further than the team's record during Colangelo's reign to understand the need for his departure: 209 wins, 281 losses. Two first-round playoff ousts and four straight lottery appearances. It's simply not good enough. The city of Toronto, and its fans, deserve better.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...-be-fired.html

BAM!

And coming from CBC of all places.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Legends66NBA7
Face Of Death

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: CBC: 5 Reasons Colangelo Should be Fired

Quote:
209 wins, 281 losses. Two first-round playoff ousts and four straight lottery appearances. It's simply not good enough.

@ that even being labeled "good".

The only bright spot BC seems to have is drafting Jonas and that's it. He's done terrible trade and signings for this team, medicore drafting (again, outside of Jonas) and let our franchise player walk.

Fuck him.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd fire him for Bargnani alone. Horrendous pick that fcked us for the next decade after it, if not longer.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I'd fire him for Bargnani alone. Horrendous pick that fcked us for the next decade after it, if not longer.
The pick itself at the time wasn't bad. Bargnani was my 3rd choice that year (I drank the kool-aid) behind Gay and Aldridge. Few people disputed it back then.

But the way the whole Bargnani situation was handled after was a disaster. Trying to shoe-horn him and Bosh together even though it was obvious they weren't a good fit right away. Then out-bidding yourself on the Bargnani extension (done once again with Derozan this offseason). There was absolutely no plan other than "we're going to try to make this Bargnani thing work no matter what any other factors are."
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

Agree with most of your points except Calderon. This dude can contribute and he is tough limited talent yes but a great team player.

How about BC's most recent blunder. As most people would agree Lowry was a great pick up. Def a pg to build around, young, talented, hungry, tough, born leader, can rebound above average for his position and on a good contract. So what does BC do he goes after Steve Nash 3 years 30 million what an idiot. I know lots of people were on here at that time posting how Nash was a great player but not for Toronto and I agreed. So then he goes out and screws our cap situation by signing Fields in order to get Nash. We all know how that ended up my thing is any decent GM wouldve had the brains to see Lowry and cap room was much better than Nash and Fields.

For this he needs to go!!
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The pick itself at the time wasn't bad. Bargnani was my 3rd choice that year (I drank the kool-aid) behind Gay and Aldridge. Few people disputed it back then.

But the way the whole Bargnani situation was handled after was a disaster. Trying to shoe-horn him and Bosh together even though it was obvious they weren't a good fit right away. Then out-bidding yourself on the Bargnani extension (done once again with Derozan this offseason). There was absolutely no plan other than "we're going to try to make this Bargnani thing work no matter what any other factors are."

My top 3 for that year went:

1) LaMarcus Aldridge
2) Tyrus Thomas
3) Brandon Roy

This might make me sound bad, but I am not big on drafting *sigh* white players. Yes, call me racist, call me whatever, but look at most of the busts in lottery history. We could have got Adam Morrison. At least Bargnani gives us trade potential. Unfortunately, to do so, we have to get a new general manager.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
Agree with most of your points except Calderon. This dude can contribute and he is tough limited talent yes but a great team player.

I agree with this. Calderon's defense is terrible, but the writer questioned his grit and determination which just isn't right. Sadly, that's the only part of the article I disagreed with. The rest is depressingly true.

Also, welcome to the board!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

You can't really fault him for taking the upside guy at #1 in a horrible draft.

You can fault him for sticking by him after all these years, thinking he's going to turn into something he's not, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
4. No discernible vision

Are the Raptors rebuilding or contending? This has been the question throughout Colangelo's tenure as the team building strategy seems to wander. Ultimately, it appears the Raptors have been content with taking a stab at the eighth playoff spot, in a vain attempt to build a 'winning atmosphere.' But, more often than not, this strategy has left the team in the middle of the lottery acquiring low-ceiling players like Ed Davis and Ross. The current roster, at its peak, is first-round fodder for the superior Eastern Conference powers. With the Raptors' first rounder most likely heading to the Oklahoma City Thunder (via the Kyle Lowry trade), the direction of this team is aimless.

To me, this is the biggest indictment of Colangelo, and why he should go. I mean, this team has never really committed to one "path" in his tenure here, and right now, what are they? They aren't rebuilding... they aren't contending.. they're just awful.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Hope more of the media starts calling BC out.

We desperately need some changes in this organization.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

Thanks Chamberlain its good to be here.

I also agree you cant blame him too much for taking Bargnani number 1 he was ranked pretty high. Lets not worry about what happened 5 years ago its like a previous poster said its more about how BC has been sticking with Bargs through the years after he has shown that he is weak link. This is reason to fault BC not on the draft 5 years ago. Signing Fields in the offseason? horrible. Trying to get nash when Lowry was a done deal. horrible. mismanaging cap space. horrible.

Draft picks have been ok i think. Bargs fell in his lap at number 1 im sure the other gms would have picked him. DeRozan not bad. Davis could be close to a David west type player if he keep develping. Valanciunas pretty good draft pick most would agree. TRoss looking good so far.

I kind of like BC and kinda want him too go.

He's like Bargnani, shows flashes of brilliance but is soo inconsistent its frustrating.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Its pretty awesome to see some of bigger media outlets like CBC turning on BC, lets hope theres more to follow!
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
00playboy00
I brick open layups

00playboy00 has an OK reputation so far

Great ****ing Post dude
00playboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

haha, I just saw this article I was gonna post it too. Great minds think alike.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: