Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Need some beauty or humor on a sad day?

Restore your faith in humanity here.

Prior to hearing about the school shooting I was reading this book during lunch

It's a book about the journey of a single song: Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. It was actually ignored by his record company (they refused to put out the album this song was on) to being one of the most covered songs of our era. I'm really enjoying the book.

Leonard Cohen spent four or 5 years working on this song. When he recorded it, he recorded 4 verses. However, the versions of the song that are most well known contain more verses. Cohen himself does a different version live than what he recorded. Then John Cale (of the Velvet Underground) recorded it for a Leonard Cohen tribute album. He hadn't heard the original recording, he heard Cohen do it in concert and asked him for the lyrics and Cohen faxed him over 15 pages with all the unrecorded verses. So he picked the ones he liked and that's the version that Jeff Buckley first heard and recorded it and it became his most beloved song. Even then, even Buckley's record company didn't make it one of the four singles from his album and it only grew more popular after Buckley died young. Buckley's version is the version most folks first heard and it gave new life to song to the point where it's now a standard on TV talent shows and movie soundtracks and Adam Sandler did a parody version on the Hurricane Sandy broadcast. And Leonard Cohen, who couldn't get that album released in the 80's plays a sold out show in Madison Square Garden next Tuesday.

Here's a pretty version of the song by pretty girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJgxE-0PZI

Bratty punk version of Hallelujah that made me laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DQDUTkfaQ

Last edited by KevinNYC : 12-14-2012 at 04:24 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Need some beauty or humor on a sad day?

NPR interview with the author.
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/02/166112...elujah-endures
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

At the end of the book there is a list of QR codes that you can scan to listen to the performances the author talks about.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PEOPLE ARE AWESOME 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKXsLFKYqc

helps too.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

thanks kev, this has been my favorite song for over ten years
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

I've always found it strange Leonard Cohen was more appreciated in Europe than he was in Canada or the States. Though, I think he's gotten sick of hearing everyone cover Hallelujah, especially since he has more songs out there.

Actually, I recall Cohen saying Bob Dylan was the only one who appreciated and covered the song at first. Funny enough, the story goes that when Dylan and Cohen were trading lyrics one fine morning, Dylan asks Cohen how long it took to write 'Hallelujah'. Cohen said a couple of years (lying and knowing it had taken much longer) before asking Dylan, himself, how long it took to write "I and I". Dylan replies, "Fifteen minutes".

Anyway, here's his Prince Of Asturias Speech from a year ago. If that doesn't move you, I don't know what will. Truly a gem of the North.

Quote:
Poetry comes from a place that no one commands, that no one conquers. So I feel somewhat like a charlatan to accept an award for an activity which I do not command. In other words, if I knew where the good songs came from I would go there more often
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
I've always found it strange Leonard Cohen was more appreciated in Europe than he was in Canada or the States. Though, I think he's gotten sick of hearing everyone cover Hallelujah, especially since he has more songs out there.

Actually, I recall Cohen saying Bob Dylan was the only one who appreciated and covered the song at first. Funny enough, the story goes that when Dylan and Cohen were trading lyrics one fine morning, Dylan asks Cohen how long it took to write 'Hallelujah'. Cohen said a couple of years (lying and knowing it had taken much longer) before asking Dylan, himself, how long it took to write "I and I". Dylan replies, "Fifteen minutes".

Anyway, here's his Prince Of Asturias Speech from a year ago. If that doesn't move you, I don't know what will. Truly a gem of the North.

That Dylan story is in the book. He also talks about how when Leonard Cohen played Coachella a few years ago, it was kind of a coronation. There was no reason to think that all these sweaty, young rock fans who were there to see other bands, crowded to his set and greeted Hallelujah with a reverence he didn't expect. It was like he found his American audience after all these years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9r2vXIvf6Y

Another cool story was when the literary group PEN created a songwriter award, the first recepients were Chuck Berry and Leonard Cohen. Which is awesome because Chuck Berry wrote some amazing lyrics.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMGyl-l3qqc
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cracked.com contributing

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-videos...hten-your-day/

Korean girls singing Happy Things, will make you smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fhs55HEl-Gc
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ

I enjoyed that Jimmy Fallon, Mariah Carey, and Roots rendition of All I want for Christmas. My Mum used to play that all the time when I was younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sWEfszb9h8Q
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
PEOPLE ARE AWESOME 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKXsLFKYqc

helps too.

I really wanted to see the conclusion of that belly flop.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I enjoyed that Jimmy Fallon, Mariah Carey, and Roots rendition of All I want for Christmas. My Mum used to play that all the time when I was younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sWEfszb9h8Q

Probably my favorite pop Christmas song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTz69PHLpU
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: