Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
sydneyking
Banned
 
sydneyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: but at least I'm not oldschool
Posts: 499
Default Australia or Canada?

Which team is better at basketball?:

- Right now
- in the past 15 years.

My opinion: the answer is clearly Australia for both.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,196
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
Which team is better at basketball?:

- Right now
- in the past 15 years.

My opinion: the answer is clearly Australia for both.

At least you are not biased.

It is always hard to tell when dealing with Canada because the federal government doesn't fund sports or funds them minimally and this leads to top athletes passing on national team spots.

The last time they played each other in the Olympics however was 2000 (in Sydney btw) and the result was:

Canada 101
Aus 90

So you were clearly wrong that day.

Australia always puts out a fine national team because sports development down under is institutionalized and first class all the way, but Canada has much more depth in the game and many more Canadians are playing pro overseas or on full scholarships to division one schools in the States than Aussies.

this link shows you a list of all the Canadians playing in overseas leagues, and gives you an idea of the depth of the talent pool. I dont think Australia can come close to matching it:

http://www.usbasket.com/abr.asp?Cntry=CAN&CntryNbr=45

I will say that since Sydney Australia has had the better national team, and until Canada changes its policy towards sports the national team will be peaks and valleys.
The guys never practice together (a big country and no one will fund their stay in a city so they can all be together) and they never gel. Sad but true.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
JMEWLS
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

being an Aussie, im gonna say the Aussie team is better.

But in the last 15years i think Canada have been better, but now that we have some nice young talent like, Bogut, Ingles and Brad Newley ( who's going into the NBA next draft.) i think its a promising future in Australian basketball.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
P-Forty21
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

watch out for austalia in the next few years...we got heaps of young talent and i wouldnt be suprised if we come close for winning the olympics!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
umbalito
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Australia by far. And considering how popular the AFL is it's great that the NBL can still stay afloat.

Sure there's Nash, but the future of hoops here in Canada is suspect. Hoops is practically dead out here. I can't understand why. Considering winters are pretty long out here, you would think hoops would have some popularity, but no, outside of Toronto it's practically zero hoops.

I remember when I was at work I opened up the NBA website to just check some stats and there was Kobe on the front page, a co-worker saw it and they asked me if he played for the Raptors, LOL.

I couldn't believe it!! I was really shocked. I'm from the Philippines where the top 3 sports are basketball, basketball and basketball. Any 12 year old kid would know what team Kobe plays for, even if they don't have a TV at home.
umbalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #6
Sword.Dragons
Good High School Starter
 
Sword.Dragons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 594
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Around where i live, in Brisbane, Aus. everyone is into And1 and you know doing tricks and stupid stuff like that.. This guy said his favourite player was shaquille o'neal and he thought Shaq still played for the lakers, then we showed him an NBA magazine and he asked who the person on the front cover was (Shaq in a heat uniform.)
Sword.Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
DaveM123
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 101
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbalito
Sure there's Nash, but the future of hoops here in Canada is suspect. Hoops is practically dead out here. I can't understand why..

Speak for yourself dude, there is lots of basketball fans that believe it or not do not talk to you everyday.


Quote:
Considering winters are pretty long out here, you would think hoops would have some popularity..


Explain how a country with long winters would be a more popular basketball country then a hot weather country??

Quote:
I remember when I was at work I opened up the NBA website to just check some stats and there was Kobe on the front page, a co-worker saw it and they asked me if he played for the Raptors, LOL..

Whats your point? That we have a variety of sports in our country besides just basketball and that this great sport country has knowledgable fans from many different sports. Canada is a hockey country first. Did you not know that???? With that being said there are still many fans who prefer other sports besides hockey (ie: basketball). Hoops is alive and well here, just we are not a one sport country like where you come from.
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
umbalito
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Ooooh, someone pissed their pants.

What the fuck is your problem dude?


Quote:
Speak for yourself dude, there is lots of basketball fans that believe it or not do not talk to you everyday.
-- Wow, really? Where? Oh yeah, maybe all those former Grizzlies fans eh? Gimme a break, you lost an NBA city remember?



Quote:
Explain how a country with long winters would be a more popular basketball country then a hot weather country??
-- WTF?? How dumb can you be? Do you even know how hoops started?



Quote:
Whats your point? That we have a variety of sports in our country besides just basketball and that this great sport country has knowledgable fans from many different sports. Canada is a hockey country first. Did you not know that???? With that being said there are still many fans who prefer other sports besides hockey (ie: basketball). Hoops is alive and well here, just we are not a one sport country like where you come from.
So what the **** does that have to do with my initial post? Talk about being freakin defensive. So you know hockey. So hockey is number one. Can you explain to me what the FUCK that has to do with hoops? Just because you are not a one sport country, doesn't mean hoops is still popular. So all because you've got the NHL, the CFL blah blah blah still does not FUCKING mean that hoops is popular. They didn't know what team Kobe played for dude.

I'm ****ing comparing the popularity of hoops in Canada compared to Australia, the States and the Philppines. Now what the **** does that have to do with hockey or the popularity of other sports?

Last edited by umbalito : 02-22-2007 at 10:19 PM.
umbalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
umbalito
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Any way you put it, hoops is pretty dead in Canada compared down-under. You don't even have a pro loop right? The Aussies have the AFL, rugby, cricket and yet the NBL manages to stay afloat and average roughly 3,800 per game date.

Last edited by umbalito : 02-22-2007 at 10:27 PM.
umbalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
DaveM123
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 101
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

YOU are the one who brought Philippines in the picture when the discussion was about Canada and Australia, which you clearly are a specialist on both countries. What does a 12 year old kid with no TV being able to identify Kobe have anything to do with the Canada and Aus.?

Someone at your work couldn't identify what team Kobe played for so that one guy must represent all of Canada, right? You are so sure that everyone in Aus. knows what team Kobe plays for? Stay on topic!

The topic was Canada and Aus. national teams, not national interest. According to you national interest equals better national team. Then I guess Philippines is a world basketball power. Doesn't work that way. The only thing that has held Canada back for the last 15 years from being a top team is support at the government levels. The government shows very little priority in having a successful team. Both teams have similar amount of NBA level player sprinkling their rosters. Australia usually has the height advantage and can be a physical presence. Canada has the best pg currently while Aus. has the best inside presence. I would say Aus. has passed Canada in recent years as Canada has fired their coach which upset alot of national players and their team is in a current state of flux.

Why don't you explain to all the Canadians that are on this board daily that there is no interest.
Anyone who says a cold weather country equals better basketball country has lost me there. I guess Spain, Greece, Argentina all suck and Sweden, Finland are dominant. End of discussion! You are not even worth me typing.

Last edited by DaveM123 : 02-23-2007 at 12:43 PM.
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
umbalito
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Did I even say the Phils was better than any of the 2 countries in the topic???????? You're the one whose getting all defensive for no reason. I just said I was SURPRISED that my co-worker did not know what team Kobe played for, and I explained why -- that's why the Philippines was bought into the picture. Oh and I guess the hoop fans here in insidehoops are representative of the basketball fans in Canada? Hell no. And besides the comparison I was making was a regular Canadian guy who probably wasn't even a sports fan vs a 12 year old Filipino kid who also isn't a sports fan. Period. I was simply looking for a reference point and to UNDERSCORE a point a was trying to make - which is the lack of interest and development of hoops in Canada especially in the grass roots level.

And of course interest plays a big part in development. If you have very little interest, you don't have kids playing. You can't just expect anyone to pick up a ball when they're in their 20s and expect them to play competitively. It starts with interest. When you're young. I said the future of hoops in Canada is highly suspect because of the VERY OBVIOUS lack of interest and development of hoops in the grassroots level. (And you just gave one of the reasons in your post)

And yeah, compared to you I would be considered a specialist in both countries. Considering you've probably lived your entire life in Canada and I've only been here for 2 years and only lived in Australia for 2 years. And 1 1/2 of those years were spent working with the different community hoops associations and also with Aussie NBL on the import recruitment side of things for a few months, I might add.

I never said cold weather = better NT. I said I was SURPRISED that hoops wasn't more popular HERE since it's an indoor sport and with the long winters here, you would want to spend your time indoors right. So for example, why is American Football (CFL) more popular than hoops? Why does the Super Bowl generate more interest than the the NBA Finals of the ASW? That's the point fucking point I was trying to make. I apologize, I did not realize I was talking to an 8 year old.

Why don't you just pull your panties up and quit wasting my time. As far as I'm concerned I made a very valid point in my initial post. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time replying to your posts. We both know why you're all wired up about my initial post anyway. If I hadn't mentioned I was from the Philippines I doubt you would've had that reaction. Hehe, you might've even agreed with me if I said I was some white guy from down under or from south of the border.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123
YOU are the one who brought Philippines in the picture when the discussion was about Canada and Australia, which you clearly are a specialist on both countries. What does a 12 year old kid with no TV being able to identify Kobe have anything to do with the Canada and Aus.?

Someone at your work couldn't identify what team Kobe played for so that one guy must represent all of Canada, right? You are so sure that everyone in Aus. knows what team Kobe plays for? Stay on topic!

The topic was Canada and Aus. national teams, not national interest. According to you national interest equals better national team. Then I guess Philippines is a world basketball power. Doesn't work that way. The only thing that has held Canada back for the last 15 years from being a top team is support at the government levels. The government shows very little priority in having a successful team. Both teams have similar amount of NBA level player sprinkling their rosters. Australia usually has the height advantage and can be a physical presence. Canada has the best pg currently while Aus. has the best inside presence. I would say Aus. has passed Canada in recent years as Canada has fired their coach which upset alot of national players and their team is in a current state of flux.

Why don't you explain to all the Canadians that are on this board daily that there is no interest.
Anyone who says a cold weather country equals better basketball country has lost me there. I guess Spain, Greece, Argentina all suck and Sweden, Finland are dominant. End of discussion! You are not even worth me typing.
umbalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,196
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbalito
Australia by far. And considering how popular the AFL is it's great that the NBL can still stay afloat.

Sure there's Nash, but the future of hoops here in Canada is suspect. Hoops is practically dead out here. I can't understand why. Considering winters are pretty long out here, you would think hoops would have some popularity, but no, outside of Toronto it's practically zero hoops.

I remember when I was at work I opened up the NBA website to just check some stats and there was Kobe on the front page, a co-worker saw it and they asked me if he played for the Raptors, LOL.

I couldn't believe it!! I was really shocked. I'm from the Philippines where the top 3 sports are basketball, basketball and basketball. Any 12 year old kid would know what team Kobe plays for, even if they don't have a TV at home.

you are sadly mistaken, but your first person perspective on the health of the game in a huge country is kind of cute. Posterial pontification is always fun to read.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
DaveM123
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 101
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbalito
We both know why you're all wired up about my initial post anyway. If I hadn't mentioned I was from the Philippines I doubt you would've had that reaction. Hehe, you might've even agreed with me if I said I was some white guy from down under or from south of the border.


What exactly are you insinuating? Before you start throwing accusations over the internet at people, you should really know that person, so shut your mouth. I happen to have a filipina gf of many years and have lots of filipino friends and have actually visited the place recently, along with having lived in Melbourne Australia, so who is the one that is defensive? It had nothing to do with where u come from, it was just the tone of your original post making Canada out to be a ghost country for basketball!

You still haven't contributed anything decent to the original question of the current state of the 2 basketball teams, just good for accusations!

Last edited by DaveM123 : 02-25-2007 at 05:03 PM.
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #14
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!
 
jo3y91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wit yo mamma
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

hey aussies we actually got an ok bball forum going on ourselves go 2 dplayground.com n we usually have alot of awesome basketball talk there.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #15
skan72
Deep dick pizza
 
skan72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where threads go to die.
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Basketball in Canada is not dead. We have had quite a few guys successful in D1 who now play in Europe, then there is Nash, Magloire, that is just the pros. High school basketball in Canada is pretty good, as I know the BC provincial team goes down to the Las Vegas tourney by Sonny Vaccarro every year. They always do okay down there. There are quite a few young Canadians playing HS ball in the states and doing well, Junior Cadougan, Olu Ashaolu, Kris Joseph. Then there is Rob Sacre, going to Gonzaga. Basketball in Canada is growing, albeit a tad slowly. But there is no reason for you to cut it down and say it is dead. It is actually larger than it has ever been. The CIS teams always play against Division one teams in the preseason. And the east coast area is part of the ABA I believe and have several ABA teams in their cities.
So please, leave Canadian basketball alone, and start cutting down things that we waste our time on, such as volleyball, I've seen many good Canadian basketball players give up basketball to pursue a "sport" such as volleyball, and it is disgusting. These guys are great athletes and they play volleyball when they could be getting scholarships to play basketball and therefore enrich Canadian basketball overall.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy