Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Article: Mike D'Antoni experimenting with Lakers' rotation

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

Quote:
By Eric Pincus
December 19, 2012, 2:18 p.m.
The Lakers won their third-straight game Tuesday night, barely, holding off the Charlotte Bobcats by a single point, 101-100.

Pau Gasol returned to the lineup after an eight-game absence. He played 29 1/2 minutes, and while he only shot three for 10 from the field, his overall box score was relatively solid with 10 points, nine rebounds, five assists and four blocked shots.

Coach Mike D'Antoni used Gasol's return as an opportunity to experiment with the team's rotation. Devin Ebanks started the game at small forward but played just under five minutes, missing three of four shots.

That put Metta World Peace on the bench, in two roles. D'Antoni wants World Peace to not only play small forward but also be Gasol's primary backup at the four.

Well if for some, whatever reason you didn't know this then, you now officially know that Mike D is tinkering a bit seeing what he can get from some of these guys. So far, it has been working.

What a genius idea to allow Ron to play some 4. A 4 in D'Antoni's system is expected to be a good stretch to the other team's defense. Additionally, Ron can also post up and make some shots in the paint.

This opportunity also allows Pau the chance to play center, and to get the ball inside where he feels he is more useful. It has been a better sight to see. Not great, but its a start.

Unfortunately this will be a big hit to some of these hopefuls on our team (Jamison, Hill). I am interested to see what is going to happen with that. Hill especially, would bring so much value on this team, or in a trade package for some cold blooded sharp shooter.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Article: Mike D'Antoni experimenting with Lakers' rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

Well if for some, whatever reason you didn't know this then, you now officially know that Mike D is tinkering a bit seeing what he can get from some of these guys. So far, it has been working.

What a genius idea to allow Ron to play some 4. A 4 in D'Antoni's system is expected to be a good stretch to the other team's defense. Additionally, Ron can also post up and make some shots in the paint.

This opportunity also allows Pau the chance to play center, and to get the ball inside where he feels he is more useful. It has been a better sight to see. Not great, but its a start.

Unfortunately this will be a big hit to some of these hopefuls on our team (Jamison, Hill). I am interested to see what is going to happen with that. Hill especially, would bring so much value on this team, or in a trade package for some cold blooded sharp shooter.

It's great that we can beat horrible teams like Charlotte by 1 point after trailing by 18.....I guess that takes genius coaching
The system is crap and is never going to win anything. That being said, I am glad he's willing to tinker with the rotation.....now if only he will tinker with his system to include defense and Center post up game then we can have a shot at this.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
It's great that we can beat horrible teams like Charlotte by 1 point after trailing by 18.....I guess that takes genius coaching
The system is crap and is never going to win anything. That being said, I am glad he's willing to tinker with the rotation.....now if only he will tinker with his system to include defense and Center post up game then we can have a shot at this.

Who said anything about the charlotte game? I was talking about the production of players after the coaching changes.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Here's my problem with D'Antoni: he's got a lineup with four (currently three) legit stars, including two of the best offensive centers in the league, and his brilliant idea... is to go small ball.

It's telling that most of the knowledgeable Suns fans I knew weren't even remotely sad when D'Antoni left Phx, and this was at a point when he was considered to be some sort of offensive genius. He's not--he's a mediocre tactician (but great play caller) with a fixed style that's not even unique anymore.

And on that latter point, going small isn't a smart strategy, not when you play in the same league as Miami or OKC. You really think you're gonna outgun and outrun a team with Lebron at the 4? LA should be focusing on what it does BETTER than those teams in order to get an advantage. Hell, even Mike Brown tried to slow it down and pound it inside against OKC last year in the playoffs.

So, yeah, MDA. Keep fiddling with your ADORABLE small-ball lineups when you have a super big, super old, and super slow team. Actually, don't. I love the Lakers.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Here's my problem with D'Antoni: he's got a lineup with four (currently three) legit stars, including two of the best offensive centers in the league, and his brilliant idea... is to go small ball.

It's telling that most of the knowledgeable Suns fans I knew weren't even remotely sad when D'Antoni left Phx, and this was at a point when he was considered to be some sort of offensive genius. He's not--he's a mediocre tactician (but great play caller) with a fixed style that's not even unique anymore.

And on that latter point, going small isn't a smart strategy, not when you play in the same league as Miami or OKC. You really think you're gonna outgun and outrun a team with Lebron at the 4? LA should be focusing on what it does BETTER than those teams in order to get an advantage. Hell, even Mike Brown tried to slow it down and pound it inside against OKC last year in the playoffs.

So, yeah, MDA. Keep fiddling with your ADORABLE small-ball lineups when you have a super big, super old, and super slow team. Actually, don't. I love the Lakers.

FF, do I have to pay you to get you to post more or what
I seriously appreciate guys like you who GET IT.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley

Thats a good point regarding the bolded part. That'd be tough for any of the other 29 teams id imagine. Whether you have a bigger star forward at that position, or a smaller quicker guy, it'd be tough to match up well with that lineup. I suppose Artest at the 4 could try something on Lebron. The problem is Pau at the 4 wouldnt be much help either.

My issue is that we have a great center (in today's league) that needs to get more of those easy inside opportunities. Im sick of seeing Dwight not get much stats for what he tries every night. Im hoping Nash could solve that problem.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Thats a good point regarding the bolded part. That'd be tough for any of the other 29 teams id imagine. Whether you have a bigger star forward at that position, or a smaller quicker guy, it'd be tough to match up well with that lineup. I suppose Artest at the 4 could try something on Lebron. The problem is Pau at the 4 wouldnt be much help either.

My issue is that we have a great center (in today's league) that needs to get more of those easy inside opportunities. Im sick of seeing Dwight not get much stats for what he tries every night. Im hoping Nash could solve that problem.

I hear ya, yes we all want Dwight to get the ball much more and score......the problem is not that Nash is out, it's that 'Antoni doesn't want post-up basketball, he wants a ton of 3's jacked up like a little kid playing Xbox.....so don't expect anything to change style wise.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: