Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Looking like Chip Kelly is headed to Cleveland

This was just posted on NFL.com.

Quote:
Chip Kelly, Cleveland Browns very close to deal
By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer

The Cleveland Browns just might have their man.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the Browns' next head coach, according to a source informed of his situation.

Kelly met with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner on Friday, the most recent of several interviews the team conducted this week in Arizona. Kelly has been at the top of the Browns' wish list as a replacement for fired coach Pat Shurmur, and the team has been expected to make a full-court press to land the hottest name on the coaching market.

Kelly also was supposed to meet with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, but a person familiar with the interviews told The Associated Press that team is "heading in another direction" because Kelly is close to landing with the Browns. However, the Buffalo Bills announced via Twitter that Kelly also had interviewed for their head-coaching vacancy Friday night.

Known for his innovative offensive approach, Kelly has gone 46-7 as Oregon's coach and is coming off a Thursday win over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl. He said after the victory that he'd like to have the process of determining his future "wrapped up quickly."

Landing Kelly would be a seismic development for a Browns franchise that has been largely rudderless since re-entering the NFL in 1999. If Cleveland closes the deal, it will stand as a big statement in an AFC North overdue for a shift in power.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-close-to-deal

What say you, ISH? Is this a good hire? I was sort of on the fence about the hire when it was initially rumored, but I'm starting to really come around on the idea.

Apparently, Bill Belichick has been very complimentary of Kelly, even going as far as admitting he has taken several of Kelly's formations and plays and integrated them into his own New England offense.

I don't think the Oregon offense would completely work in the NFL. Obviously, it would have to be tweaked for the pro game. But, I have absolutely no reason to believe he isn't capable of making that adaptation.

Talk about going from one extreme to another... Pat Shurmur was about the most uncreative coach I have ever seen. He was so completely attached to the old-school West Coast Offense, he never deviated from that very structured system.

To go from that to the presumably wide-open, no huddle game that Kelly runs should be interesting. What do you guys think? Is he the right man for the job?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Pacers4ever
Banned

Default Re: Looking like Chip Kelly is headed to Cleveland

Well if the weeden pick wasn't a complete piece of shit back then, it is even more now.
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
sunsfan1357
Word.

I've been reading more positive things about Kelley from various people on Twitter. People are worried that his system isn't going to adapt well to the NFL, but others are saying he changes his system based on the players he has in his system as opposed to forcing a system on his players. Also read that Kelley's top run plays are the same plays Trent ran at Alabama so that can fit well. The main question is what will happen with Weeden at QB I guess.

Here's an older article from November outlining some of his coaching philosophies: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...familiar-seems

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 01-05-2013 at 06:02 AM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I hated the Weeden pick and still do... However, it isn't exactly the end of the world if Kelly decides to go in another direction (or if he keeps Weeden). While you never want to whiff on a first round pick, I still consider that draft a win for the Browns, at least so far.

They picked up a lot of really nice pieces... Richardson, Schwartz, Hughes and Winn all had excellent rookie seasons. Travis Benjamin also showed some really nice flashes when he was healthy. You aren't going to hit on every pick. If you can hit on five starting caliber (and some beyond that) players, I think that is a pretty good draft.

Then, they followed it up with what looks like a tremendous pick in Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft.

Yes, the QB position is still up in the air, especially if Kelly does get the job. But, a lot of holes have been filled in the last couple years and this team really does have quite a bit of young talent to build around.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Better CLE than PHI. I want McCoy though they're still saying Kelly is interviewing in PHI today.

A lot of Kelly's success I believe will depend on how much control he has over personnel.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
AngelEyes
Sentenza

Cleveland is forever destined for mediocrity, just a cesspool of sports.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

SMH if CLE regrets that Weeden pick.

Good GOD...No RG3 for u, No Julio Jones then u BLOW it w an old fat short and immobile QB when u could have had a stud at the WR position. A matchup nightmare.

I'm rooting for u Cleveland, unforunate that whenever big moves come out of Cleveland they are usually underwhelming which forces me to be reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

& this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

I hope, for your mental health that Weeden comes around and beasts...
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
irondarts

I bet the Browns will suck next year and then Chip will draft Manziel in the top 5.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Pacers4ever
Banned

I just hate the QB situation in cleveland because they will most likely miss out on geno/barkley before they draft and I doubt they have plans to draft a QB in the early rounds this year because of drafting weeden last year in the 1st. Then I doubt that weeden will be the solution to the QB position and he's already 29 so you can't for him forever which I doubt he will ever reach flacco level even at his peak. It feels like next year will be a waste/tank year for cleveland.
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

I've mentioned my thoughts in the other thread and I don't think it's a good idea tbh. First, they'll most likely be giving up on Weeden which would be a disaster of a pick last season. I think McCoy could be their guy at QB actually as he's very mobile and he was a spread QB in college if I'm not mistaken and I still think McCoy can be a serviceable QB so there's a possibility.

Second, I wouldn't go all in on this Pistol/Spread offense that seems to be taking over the NFL lately. It's a new trend and the NFL has proven that it can readjust to the new trend offenses. I want to see in 2-3 years if the Pistol/Spread offense is still effective than it would be safe to go all in on this type of offense. I fear the Pistol may be the new Wildcat which may virtually go extinct in two years time although I don't think it will go extinct necessarily as the offense is way more flexible than the Wildcat would ever be.

I'm skeptical on the premier college coaches who dominate because I don't think they translate well in the NFL. They usually get the best recruiting classes and at times they run a gimmick offense. Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban come to mind, both legendary college coaches but failed in the NFL.

Coaches like Harbough or even Schianno who built their programs from scratch are coaches the NFL should look for as they are coaches who can build teams with what they got. If I was an NFL coach I would probably be looking to get David Shaw from Stanford or Brian Kelly or any coach who's rebuilt a program from scratch.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I bet the Browns will suck next year and then Chip will draft Manziel in the top 5.

I don't think Manziel will be in the top 5 next year. Most teams will be afraid that he's too short to play QB and I can see his stock falling. I still think he'll have a chance to be a 1st round but coaches are stubborn.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
AlonzoGOAT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I've mentioned my thoughts in the other thread and I don't think it's a good idea tbh. First, they'll most likely be giving up on Weeden which would be a disaster of a pick last season. I think McCoy could be their guy at QB actually as he's very mobile and he was a spread QB in college if I'm not mistaken and I still think McCoy can be a serviceable QB so there's a possibility.

Second, I wouldn't go all in on this Pistol/Spread offense that seems to be taking over the NFL lately. It's a new trend and the NFL has proven that it can readjust to the new trend offenses. I want to see in 2-3 years if the Pistol/Spread offense is still effective than it would be safe to go all in on this type of offense. I fear the Pistol may be the new Wildcat which may virtually go extinct in two years time although I don't think it will go extinct necessarily as the offense is way more flexible than the Wildcat would ever be.

I'm skeptical on the premier college coaches who dominate because I don't think they translate well in the NFL. They usually get the best recruiting classes and at times they run a gimmick offense. Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban come to mind, both legendary college coaches but failed in the NFL.

Coaches like Harbough or even Schianno who built their programs from scratch are coaches the NFL should look for as they are coaches who can build teams with what they got. If I was an NFL coach I would probably be looking to get David Shaw from Stanford or Brian Kelly or any coach who's rebuilt a program from scratch.
what about a great college coach who's doing pretty well with the seahawks
AlonzoGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

^Pete Carroll coached in the NFL before Seattle and failed. Most of the time it's the situation more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

Then they will still suck... Teddy Bridgewater would be unbelievable in Chip's offense. In college at least.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
what about a great college coach who's doing pretty well with the seahawks

Carroll's first head coaching gigs were in the NFL so I wouldn't really put him in the same class as Saban
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Being a huge Oregon fan, I'd obviously rather him stay. But he's gone, no doubt. I'd rather him go to Cleveland than Philly.

And to everyone who says "his system won't work in the NFL," I think Chip is smart enough to know what will and won't work in the NFL. It's not like he's going to do the same exact thing in the NFL he's done in college. Give the man a little more credit than that...

I think he'll succeed as an NFL head coach. A small percentage of me hopes he doesn't, though, so he can go back to Oregon forever lol. I hope he's able to lead Cleveland to a consistent playoff team. Those fans deserve it.

I wonder what he's going to do about the QB position. Lots of people are saying he should bring Vick to wherever he ends up. Idk about that.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: