Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default [NY Daily News] All-Star Reserves voting rigged?

Apparently Marbury thinks so.

Quote:
Steph: NBA rigs voting

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Eddy Curry doesn't get point across that he deserves to be an All-Star, and Knick teammates respond by ripping selection process.
ORLANDO - An incredulous Jamal Crawford called Knick teammate Eddy Curry's omission from the East All-Stars "bull," while Stephon Marbury questioned the selection process, suggesting that the NBA league office and not the coaches are responsible for assembling the roster.

"I think ultimately at the end of the day it comes down to the NBA," Marbury said. "I think the NBA picks the teams."

The fans' vote is responsible for the five starters from the East and West, while the coaches select seven reserves from their respective conferences. The Nets' Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, and Detroit's Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups, along with Orlando's Dwight Howard, Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal and Washington's Caron Butler, were named to the East team on Thursday.

Curry, Chicago's Ben Gordon, Atlanta's Joe Johnson and Milwaukee's Michael Redd were the most glaring omissions. Gordon may have the strongest case since Chicago is the only team with 25 or more wins not to be represented in the All-Star Game.

"I'm disappointed but what can I do?" Curry said following yesterday's practice at a sports complex co-owned by former Reds shortstop Barry Larkin. "It's out of my control. . . . I'm happy for the guys that made it. Next year, we'll see what happens."

Curry and Isiah Thomas were more diplomatic concerning the selections. But Marbury, a former All-Star, called it a "crime" that Curry had been left off the roster. "A guy like Eddy . . . he's been playing at an All-Star level since the beginning of the year," Marbury said. "And he's not rewarded with it.

"The NBA, from what other people say, that they go by your record. But they can't say that because guys that made the All-Star team have played on a team that wasn't doing well. So, I just think that, me personally, I think it's a crime Eddy didn't make the All-Star team. I think he definitely deserves it. He was, by far, snubbed."

No Knick was willing to say which player should have been left off the team in favor of Curry, who is averaging 19.4 points and seven rebounds. The one debatable pick could be Carter, since the Nets don't have a winning record and Kidd has been their best player. Carter, however, finished third among guards in the fan voting.

"There's always a message being sent, it seems like with the NBA," Marbury said. "It's all bull. But there's always something."

Said Thomas: "Everyone picked deserved it. We just have more work to do. It's good that he's in the discussion. It's important that we keep building from here and maybe next year's he's in it."

Curry said he's more motivated than ever to have a big game tonight against Howard, who made the team for the first time. But Curry says he takes no consolation in the fact he was regarded as a strong candidate to be chosen.

"You accomplish something once you make it," Curry said. "A lot of (players) spend their whole careers being honorable mention, but in the end, if you don't have that hardware with your name on it or you don't have a championship ring, you haven't done anything. We'll see what happens. I've got time."

He played at an all-star level, except vs the Rockets. Yao embarrased Eddy, and will continue doing so for years to come.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: [NY Daily News] All-Star Reserves voting rigged?

Heh, its not like the voting is scientific....

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

um... He didn't deserve it over Dwight Howard or Jermaine O'neal so no it wasn't rigged. If anyone's to blame for Eddie Curry not getting a reserve spot, it's the ppl who voted Shaq as a starter.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
um... He didn't deserve it over Dwight Howard or Jermaine O'neal so no it wasn't rigged. If anyone's to blame for Eddie Curry not getting a reserve spot, it's the ppl who voted Shaq as a starter.

You are absolutely right, I should have said that as well... I was just commenting on the ASB voting process.

However, I don't think anyone from the Knicks deserves an All Star appearance....

Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
However, I don't think anyone from the Knicks deserves an All Star appearance....

If NYK had the 3rd best record in the East would u still feel that way?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

Not relevant, because I cannot distinguish how those players would be performing... Show me reality and I will offer an opinion.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Not relevant, because I cannot distinguish how those players would be performing... Show me reality and I will offer an opinion.

Its simple...NY wins 7 more games as opposed to losing. Not difficult. Those 7 wins vs 7 losses the production doesnt have to be incredible. The stats can remain the same if not slightly better but nothing glaring. You dont need to see it actually happen right now to answer the question.

So answer it.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:

Some people have a legitimate gripe..
Josh Howard not making it when he's the second best player on the best team in the league...
Melo, the NBA's top scorer..
Ben Gordon who's had a breakout season on the 3rd best team in the east...

But Eddie Curry?? his team sits at 20-28, 10th place in the east... with Curry averaging 19 and 7... His play may justify an all-star appearance over Shaq, but definitely not over Jermaine and Dwight.. and then people saying it's a "Crime" for him to not have been picked as a reserve? that's ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Some people have a legitimate gripe..
Josh Howard not making it when he's the second best player on the best team in the league...
Melo, the NBA's top scorer..
Ben Gordon who's had a breakout season on the 3rd best team in the east...

But Eddie Curry?? his team sits at 20-28, 10th place in the east... with Curry averaging 19 and 7... His play may justify an all-star appearance over Shaq, but definitely not over Jermaine and Dwight.. and then people saying it's a "Crime" for him to not have been picked as a reserve? that's ridiculous.

Curry doesnt deserve to make it but my point is if NYK sit with the 3rd best record in the East and his stats dont change much...do you think he gets selected?

All Star selections shouldnt be based on team success is my point. All about player performance and production. Atleast it should be but its not.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
SoCalMike

Quote:
Its simple...NY wins 7 more games as opposed to losing. Not difficult. Those 7 wins vs 7 losses the production doesnt have to be incredible. The stats can remain the same if not slightly better but nothing glaring. You dont need to see it actually happen right now to answer the question.

So answer it.

Its sheer conjecture, so I will not answer it... I elect not to make guesses about it. Currently, the team has demonstrated to me that there is not anyone worthy of an All Star spot from my opinion. That is what I think.

You are certainly welcome to opine all you wish.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Its sheer conjecture, so I will not answer it... I elect not to make guesses about it. Currently, the team has demonstrated to me that there is not anyone worthy of an All Star spot from my opinion. That is what I think.

You are certainly welcome to opine all you wish.

All Star games shouldnt be based on team play. Thats the problem. Its player performance. Player production. The fact that if NYK had the 3rd best record chances are you would think he should be an AS as opposed to now says all i want to know.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
SoCalMike

Quote:
All Star games shouldnt be based on team play. Thats the problem. Its player performance. Player production. The fact that if NYK had the 3rd best record chances are you would think he should be an AS as opposed to now says all i want to know.

OK

I did say this earlier if you read my post... "However, I don't think anyone from the Knicks deserves an All Star appearance...."

Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
If NY had the third best record and curry was still averaging 19-7 it's not like he'd be a lock to make the ASG.. The bulls have the current 3rd best record in the east and ZERO all-stars.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

If you are a starting center you should average more than 7 rebounds, (and have atleast 1.0 in one of the following categories :Assits blocks steals) before your loud mouth point guard *****es to the NY daily news.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
If NY had the third best record and curry was still averaging 19-7 it's not like he'd be a lock to make the ASG.. The bulls have the current 3rd best record in the east and ZERO all-stars.

Never said a lock but his chances of making it are better. And the reasoning if he were selected would be laregly due to his team success. Thats the point here that there is not 1 non playoff team player on the rosters. Why?

Sidenote: I dont think Curry deserves to be on the team, just highlighting most of these selections were also determined by team success. Why? Thats for MVP races not All Star selections. Guys like Joe Johnson sit at home because his team isnt good but this man has produced his ass off for the most part.

Last edited by GOBB : 02-03-2007 at 12:01 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: