Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings

http://news.yahoo.com/un-expert-inve...161100835.html

Quote:
UNITED NATIONS (AP) A U.N. expert on Thursday launched a special investigation into drone warfare and targeted killings, which the United States relies on as a front-line weapon in its global war against al-Qaida.
One of the three countries requesting the investigation was Pakistan, which officially opposes the use of U.S. drones on its territory as an infringement on its sovereignty but is believed to have tacitly approved some strikes in the past. Many Pakistanis say innocent civilians have also been killed in drone strikes, which the U.S. has rejected.
The other two countries requesting the investigation were not named but were identified as two permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.
The civilian killings and injuries that result from drone strikes on suspected terrorist cells will be part of the focus of the investigation by British lawyer Ben Emmerson, the U.N. rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights.
The U.N. said Emmerson will present his findings to the U.N. General Assembly later this year.
"The exponential rise in the use of drone technology in a variety of military and non-military contexts represents a real challenge to the framework of established international law," Emmerson said in announcing the probe Thursday in London.
Emmerson said countries that use drones have "an international law obligation to establish effective independent and impartial investigations into any drone attack in which it is plausibly alleged that civilian casualties were sustained."
John Brennan, the anti-terrorism chief who has been nominated as the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, was the first Obama administration official to publicly acknowledge the highly secretive targeted killing operations, defending the legality of the overseas program and crediting it with protecting U.S. lives and preventing potential terror attacks. The CIA runs the drone program.
The American Civil Liberties Union has filed lawsuits against the United States over drone attacks that killed three U.S. civilians in Yemen in 2011, including an al-Qaida leader who had been born in the U.S., cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.
"We welcome this investigation in the hopes that global pressure will bring the U.S. back into line with international law requirements that strictly limit the use of lethal force," said Hina Shamsi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's National Security Project.
Drone strikes have been on the rise under Obama. According to the Long War Journal, which tracks such attacks, there were 35 strikes in Pakistan during 2008, the last year President George W. Bush was in office. That number grew to 117 in 2010, then fell to 64 in 2011 and 46 last year.
The program has killed a number of top militant commanders, including al-Qaida's then-No. 2, Abu Yahya al-Libi, who died in a drone strike in June.

It amazes me how many of my liberal friends think drone warfare is no big deal.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings

Obama admin and Bush admin need to be arrested and go to trial.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

I agree with drone strikes and support them. The alternative is much more dangerous for everyone involved.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
I agree with drone strikes and support them. The alternative is much more dangerous for everyone involved.

So you agree that the US has the right to ignore international law?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
millwad
Banned

millwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

This.

Thanks for the wisdom, Rufus.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

The US has always been able to do whatever they've wanted and they have done just that for decades. The United States is the international law.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The US has always been able to do whatever they've wanted and they have done just that for decades. The United States is the international law.

Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
lakers_forever
National High School Star

lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Rufus, some people rather be a party hack than use common sense. If Obama was a Republican, some liberals would be calling for his head.

Hypocrite like Bill Maher who now applauds extra judicial killings of american citizens.

I don't know this woman, but she owned some hypocrites here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCF97aoHZ4
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

I disagree, drone strikes are also killing civilians and as a result increasing recruitment. Additionally the drones always hovering above are also contributing to anxiety and other psychological trauma. Overall, my biggest issue is the accountability of the program. How much do we really know about who we are killing???
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I disagree, drone strikes are also killing civilians and as a result increasing recruitment. Additionally the drones always hovering above are also contributing to anxiety and other psychological trauma. Overall, my biggest issue is the accountability of the program. How much do we really know about who we are killing???

That's a good point. The US can basically attack whom they please, which is a scary thought if you don't trust the government (seems quite a few Americans do not). I guess I'd sing a different tune if I had these drones buzzing by my home at night, I bet it is pretty terrifying. I just don't understand how innocent civilians can be killed accidentally with a system and technology that is so advanced. I mean, this isn't the Vietnam days with napalm.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
good man
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
That's a good point. The US can basically attack whom they please, which is a scary thought if you don't trust the government (seems quite a few Americans do not). I guess I'd sing a different tune if I had these drones buzzing by my home at night, I bet it is pretty terrifying. I just don't understand how innocent civilians can be killed accidentally with a system and technology that is so advanced. I mean, this isn't the Vietnam days with napalm.

Because the bad guys in that part of the world don't hang out on bases and forward operating posts like armies do. The bad guys over there aren't soldiers in any conventional sense. They're men and boys dressed in civilian clothes with AK-47's and improvised explosives in their houses right along side their wives and families.
Derka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
Because the bad guys in that part of the world don't hang out on bases and forward operating posts like armies do. The bad guys over there aren't soldiers in any conventional sense. They're men and boys dressed in civilian clothes with AK-47's and improvised explosives in their houses right along side their wives and families.

Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

I've gotten 2 face palm emoticons in this thread now. Explain yourself or don't bother. You contribute nothing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: