Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Question for you Scientists

Can someone explain to me why every now and then I get a shock on my fingers when closing the door to my car? Happens every time I get out and close the door?

This phenomenon also happens when we touch other people. But why??
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Question for you Scientists

You still haven't developed your superpower enough to control it?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Clearly you need a scientist to answer this question.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Shit happened everytime I turn on the light in the one room at work.

L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's because your car hates you.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
You still haven't developed your superpower enough to control it?
SMH, go easy on the noob.
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

You better delete this before the government finds out about your powers.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
lbj4kb8
Decent playground baller

lbj4kb8 has decent reputationlbj4kb8 has decent reputation

Have you heard of google? It would have been more time conserving to find out yourself then pose a question in a forum and wait for a response that answers your question.

But... I think it has something to do with the static you build up while or sitting in the car. Cloth/carpet is a good source to charge the body up and when you touch something (metal/human) it causes an "electric shock". This or you're a damn mutant. Therefore I suggest hiding your identity so the government doesn't find out.
lbj4kb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Layman's response is that you have accumulated charge and the potential difference between you and the car or doorknob(isolated metal object) causes a flow of electrons.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj4kb8
Have you heard of google? It would have been more time conserving to find out yourself then pose a question in a forum and wait for a response that answers your question.

But... I think it has something to do with the static you build up while or sitting in the car. Cloth/carpet is a good source to charge the body up and when you touch something (metal/human) it causes an "electric shock". This or you're a damn mutant. Therefore I suggest hiding your identity so the government doesn't find out.
IT depends on what kind of answer you seek. Your answer is basically useless. If OP wants to actually get into properties of metals and atomic orbitals, then he might want that answer and that requires some reading; not just "static builds up because the carpet charges you and you get electric shocked."
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
lbj4kb8
Decent playground baller

lbj4kb8 has decent reputationlbj4kb8 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
IT depends on what kind of answer you seek. Your answer is basically useless. If OP wants to actually get into properties of metals and atomic orbitals, then he might want that answer and that requires some reading; not just "static builds up because the carpet charges you and you get electric shocked."

Well, a question that was posed didn't really specify how detailed he wanted the question answered. I gave him my knowledge on the topic and was trying to be helpful. He asked a basic question and I gave him a basic answer.
lbj4kb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj4kb8
Well, a question that was posed didn't really specify how detailed he wanted the question answered. I gave him my knowledge on the topic and was trying to be helpful. He asked a basic question and I gave him a basic answer.
Obviously he wants a scientific answer if he's calling for scientists.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: