Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
strike
High School JV MVP

Default All the riding and constant ATG talk makes the Nba almost impossible to follow!

I love watching the NBA. But I don't understand the constant obsession that the media and fans have with comparing players, saying one is better than the other and who's the ATG, who's top 10, who's the best forward who's the best big man. It's pathetic. It really is.

I don't know how the other US sports are (the nba is the only one I follow), but no other sport I watch constantly compares current players against each other and past greats. The media is the worst at it. I mean the last 2 years its been lebron this, lebron that. Before that Durant had a little phase, before that D-Rose. Before that Kobe. Stop it already! I mean you read tweets from renowned espn analysts saying ''Kyrie Irving is the best 6"3 guard ever". I mean what the actual F? He's in his second season ffs and he's already being compared to past ATG's. Every couple days you'll see an article comparing players, who's number 1, who's the ATG. The commentators do it. Pretty much every nba journalist does it. And the fans do it. I mean just look at this forum. It's a mess.

I try my hardest to JUST watch the games and not read any of the shite around it. But every time i peek on the espn website that's ALL i see. Same with this site.

How many articles or discussions are there regarding the tactical side of basketball. The technical side. The teamwork part of it. Its this constant fixation with superstars that makes it impossible to follow.

Rant over. just thought i'd get that off my chest
strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
CeltsGarlic
so sophisticated

Default Re: All the riding and constant ATG talk makes the Nba almost impossible to follow!

This is so true. Nit picking stats are also annoying.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
stephanieg
College star

Default Re: All the riding and constant ATG talk makes the Nba almost impossible to follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike
How many articles or discussions are there regarding the tactical side of basketball. The technical side. The teamwork part of it.

You can find this stuff on niche blogs/youtube channels. Not very popular, pretty dry stuff, but can make games a bit more interesting.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
strike
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
You can find this stuff on niche blogs/youtube channels. Not very popular, pretty dry stuff, but can make games a bit more interesting.

Yea. to be honest I don't think I could ready long articles or analysis of all the in depth tactical things either. But during the games I'd like it if the commentators would spend less time riding the most fashionable players and talking a bit about the team play or what adjustments the coaches make or the little tactical battles that take place.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Budadiiii
Eat/Sleep/ConquerISH

You have a negative rep so your opinion means jack shit. Negged btw faqqot
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
strike
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
You have a negative rep so your opinion means jack shit. Negged btw faqqot
it's all good. I respect your opinion even though your negative rep is off the charts
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Blue&Orange
MIAfan since Crusades

Quote:
I love watching the NBA. But I don't understand the constant obsession that the media and fans have with comparing players, saying one is better than the other and who's the ATG, who's top 10, who's the best forward who's the best big man. It's pathetic. It really is.

I don't know how the other US sports are (the nba is the only one I follow), but no other sport I watch constantly compares current players against each other and past greats. The media is the worst at it. I mean the last 2 years its been lebron this, lebron that. Before that Durant had a little phase, before that D-Rose. Before that Kobe. Stop it already! I mean you read tweets from renowned espn analysts saying ''Kyrie Irving is the best 6"3 guard ever". I mean what the actual F? He's in his second season ffs and he's already being compared to past ATG's. Every couple days you'll see an article comparing players, who's number 1, who's the ATG. The commentators do it. Pretty much every nba journalist does it. And the fans do it. I mean just look at this forum. It's a mess.

I try my hardest to JUST watch the games and not read any of the shite around it. But every time i peek on the espn website that's ALL i see. Same with this site.

How many articles or discussions are there regarding the tactical side of basketball. The technical side. The teamwork part of it. Its this constant fixation with superstars that makes it impossible to follow.

Rant over. just thought i'd get that off my chest
Repped and future repped. I will start to spread rep randomly so that i can rep this post again asap.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Le Poopoo

Basketball is a skilled based sport and more subjective than other sports. Stats in basketball can be manipulated to fit one's argument for a particular player they like while simultaneously denigrating another player.

But for example there are few to no (as far as I know) comparisons of athletes in the sport of track and field. It's more easily quantifiable. You cross the finish line first, second, third, and that's almost the end of the "debate." Usain Bolt is the best hands down because he beats his opposition. No argument. This quantifiable sport like sprinting leaves little to no room for debates

Last edited by 9512 : 02-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
strike
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Basketball is a skilled based sport and more subjective than other sports.

For example, there are few to no (as far as I know) comparisons of athletes in the sport of track and field. It's more easily quantifiable. You cross the finish line first, second, third, and that's almost the end of the "debate." Usain Bolt is the best hands down because he beats his opposition. No argument.

I agree 100% mate. Individual sports such as track and field like you mentioned or even Boxing are far easier to compare individuals. In basketball there are too many variables.

These debates about different eras can be really interesting. But it goes overboard. It's daily. In the media, during games and in discussions amongst fans. It's gotten unbearable now.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Le Poopoo

And it's becoming a damn near religion. We got Kobe Stans, LeBron Stans, and Jordan Stans, etc...

Reading this on this forum reminds me of jews vs muslims, black panthers vs KKK, conservatives vs liberals etc...
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
strike
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
And it's becoming a damn near religion. We got Kobe Stans, LeBron Stans, and Jordan Stans, etc...

Reading this on this forum reminds me of jews vs muslims, black panthers vs KKK, conservatives vs liberals etc...

no doubt. I mean these stans use SINGLE PLAYS or single games to discredit players. A guy can have 10 amazing games in a row, then misses a game winner in game 11 and all of a sudden he's completely useless and garbage.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
sosolid4u09
Great young streetballer

Agree completely
sosolid4u09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
strike
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Repped and future repped. I will start to spread rep randomly so that i can rep this post again asap.
Cheers
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

I made a similar thread the other day.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...18#post8223518

I agree though, it is tiring.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
TheMarkMadsen
Repped

Quote:
no doubt. I mean these stans use SINGLE PLAYS or single games to discredit players. A guy can have 10 amazing games in a row, then misses a game winner in game 11 and all of a sudden he's completely useless and garbage.

This is he worst.

Cherry picked stats drive me crazy. ESPN are gawds at doing that
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: