Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Anyone ever watch The Shield?

Just finished it. Awesome show that I never hear anyone talk about. It was a cop show on FX that coincidentally played from 2002-2008, same time as the Wire. Probably not as good as the Wire, but definitely not far off IMO. Anyone who hasn't watched it, I'd recommend you do. Anyone that has, please feel free to discuss with spoilers
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anyone ever watch The Shield?

Everybody says it's great, but I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and thought it sucked. The acting, production, all of it really, just felt really amateur. People say it gets better by the season but I'm not investing that much time in a show that starts shitty.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

One of the best shows ever on TV.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
One of the best shows ever on TV.

Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

It almost lost me on the very first episode, but then the way the first episode ended just forced me to watch more. It was a little boring after that, but cop shows are my favorite types of shows so I stuck it through. There were some really great parts to it that are up there with some of my favorite TV moments of all-time. There are also some things that I thought could have been better. It's something I'd recommend to people no doubt.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
ndPac
Serious playground baller

ndPac is starting to rub some people the wrong way

The Shield used to be my favorite show back when it aired.. for something that has to be edited since it's on cable tv and not a pay channel I think it's probably as good as it gets.=== SPOILER=== I still remember thinking how insane it was when Shane dropped that grenade on Lemm lol.

I never have HBO back then so I didn't know anything about The Wire until a couple of years ago, I think Shield is good no doubt. But I've watched the entire Wire series 5x now and think it is easily the best tv show that's ever been made and nothing will be close to it.

Last edited by ndPac : 02-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.
ndPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Vick Mackey might be my favorite character ever, definitely one of them. It was hard not to root for him despite how f*cked up he was.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Spoiler alert ndPac
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
ndPac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Spoiler alert ndPac

whoops my bad
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
ndPac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Vick Mackey might be my favorite character ever, definitely one of them. It was hard not to root for him despite how f*cked up he was.

I liked him a lot as well but eventually it seemed like he was doing way too much stuff that would be unrealistic in the real world so it got a little lame to me
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Spoiler alert ndPac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Anyone that has, please feel free to discuss with spoilers

johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Do we really need spoiler alerts for a show that's been off the air for 5 years?

The grenade in the lap was the best. Total shocker you knew then and there it was every man for himself
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndPac
I liked him a lot as well but eventually it seemed like he was doing way too much stuff that would be unrealistic in the real world so it got a little lame to me

I didn't really think so. From an aggregate point of view, yes its highly unlikely that he would get away every time but thats how all shows are. Not much different then Omar walking around the streets all day every day with a shotgun. There wasn't any instance though where he got away and it wasn't believable. The only thing I would say is the whole immunity thing. Can someone seriously get immunity even from killing a cop?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Do we really need spoiler alerts for a show that's been off the air for 5 years?

The grenade in the lap was the best. Total shocker you knew then and there it was every man for himself

When Shane was the only not getting tailed, I had a pretty good feeling that he was going to kill Lem. He was by far IMO the most selfish one of them all. Still shocking though.

Shane killing himself and his whole family was pretty shocking. Maybe Shane killing himself wasn't that crazy, but killing his family was completely unnecessary and selfish, especially killing his son. All just so the kid isn't put in foster homes? ****ed up.

I was extremely surprised that Vick wasn't loyal to Ronnie to the very end. I understood taking the deal to save his family, and while I understood how he felt the need to finally confess all of his sins to someone, I would've never thought he would've done that if it meant screwing over Ronnie. I would've thought he would've lied or leave Ronnie's name out of it.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Shane killing himself and his whole family was pretty shocking. Maybe Shane killing himself wasn't that crazy, but killing his family was completely unnecessary and selfish, especially killing his son. All just so the kid isn't put in foster homes? ****ed up.
The phone call from Vic put him over the edge.

Quote:
I was extremely surprised that Vick wasn't loyal to Ronnie to the very end. I understood taking the deal to save his family, and while I understood how he felt the need to finally confess all of his sins to someone, I would've never thought he would've done that if it meant screwing over Ronnie. I would've thought he would've lied or leave Ronnie's name out of it.
I obviously am over analyzing, but I don't think it's necessarily a death sentence for Ronnie. There is NO way any police department would ever publicize that kind of corruption, especially when it comes to light that the main orchestrator not only got off scot free, but got a promotion. I don't see a trial or him going to prison. Dismissed quietly is my guess.

Anyway, I liked the series for most of its run but (not coincidentally) like Sons of Anarchy, it just got too ridiculous. The characters became totally unsympathetic.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: