Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
alleykat
High school junior varsity star

alleykat has an OK reputation so far
Default offensive interference??

The mechanics of this rule is kinda weird to me. I understand the idea that u can't alter the ball on offense because the defense can't touch it due to goal tending, but what happens with a put-back dunk, especially on shots that barely rim out? Why isn't that considered offensive interference?

it's like the difference between throwing down the ball with force after the shot or lightly touching it in..

Last edited by alleykat : 02-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: offensive interference??

If its over the basket it is...they just dont always call it. Once its not going in...once its no longer possible for it to roll in....you can go get it even if its partly over the basket.

What ive never been sure about is blocking a dunk. Amare blocked a dunk of Tim Duncans in I think 2005...Tim had reached inside the basket and Amare pinned it in his hand and forced it out. spurs fans here were calling it goaltending on here....but it never left tims hand. I guess thats the issue. It did look odd in super slow motion...just...being backed out of the rim....but I wasnt gonna admit that to the fans making a big deal out of it at the time.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If its over the basket it is...they just dont always call it. Once its not going in...once its no longer possible for it to roll in....you can go get it even if its partly over the basket.

What ive never been sure about is blocking a dunk. Amare blocked a dunk of Tim Duncans in I think 2005...Tim had reached inside the basket and Amare pinned it in his hand and forced it out. spurs fans here were calling it goaltending on here....but it never left tims hand. I guess thats the issue. It did look odd in super slow motion...just...being backed out of the rim....but I wasnt gonna admit that to the fans making a big deal out of it at the time.

ahhh ic ic....i don't understand how you would make that kind of judgement call especially on things like rim-outs tho that haven't left.

idk about that....but i think if it hasn't left your hands then it can still be contested, but i'm not 100% sure bout that.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Can't be goal-tending if the offensive player still has possession, dunk attempt. Unless it is pinned against the backboard. And obviously you have to make a play for the ball and not grab the rim or move the backboard.

Last edited by Xsatyr : 02-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

SevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Seriously? That was a man block. One of the best playoff blocks I can remember. If that was called a goaltend that would be one of the worst calls ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bH9kTyg_M
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat
ahhh ic ic....i don't understand how you would make that kind of judgement call especially on things like rim-outs tho that haven't left.
For selfish reasons, I'd be in favor of switching to the international goaltending rule. I just hate crashing the boards, having a lane, then having to think about whether the ball's going to be legally dunkable. It'd be a lot easier (and probably more entertaining) if players could just always go for broke.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
For selfish reasons, I'd be in favor of switching to the international goaltending rule. I just hate crashing the boards, having a lane, then having to think about whether the ball's going to be legally dunkable. It'd be a lot easier (and probably more entertaining) if players could just always go for broke.

what do international rules say about defensive goaltending tho? I know the reason they made offensive interference is because defenders can't alter the ball when it's on the rim otherwise they would get a goaltend, so they would have to wait for the ball to come back down before they get it
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat
what do international rules say about defensive goaltending tho? I know the reason they made offensive interference is because defenders can't alter the ball when it's on the rim otherwise they would get a goaltend, so they would have to wait for the ball to come back down before they get it
International rules allow players from either team make contact with the ball after it'd initially hit the rim, creating a few moments per game where a bouncing ball may be able to be swatted off the rim before it falls in (or dunked home by the offensive player even if it's still above the cylinder or on the rim).
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
International rules allow players from either team make contact with the ball after it'd initially hit the rim, creating a few moments per game where a bouncing ball may be able to be swatted off the rim before it falls in (or dunked home by the offensive player even if it's still above the cylinder or on the rim).

That's like some playground sh*t. No need for that in the NBA.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
That's like some playground sh*t. No need for that in the NBA.
It's something the NBA seemed serious about implementing soon. I'm supposing it was eventually thrown on the back burner though: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...les-committee/

I didn't like the idea of it at first but I've warmed up to it as time has worn on. I thought it'd really change the game but I recall reading an article last fall stating the rule really only comes into a play two or three times per contest, if that. After watching years of Olympic play, that seems about right. Further, sometimes it might just be a matter of swatting a ball off the iron that was going to eventually come off the rim soon anyway.

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the rules we have now, but if they changed to the international side of things, I think I could learn to live with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
It's something the NBA seemed serious about implementing soon. I'm supposing it was eventually thrown on the back burner though: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...les-committee/

I didn't like the idea of it at first but I've warmed up to it as time has worn on. I thought it'd really change the game but I recall reading an article last fall stating the rule really only comes into a play two or three times per contest, if that. After watching years of Olympic play, that seems about right. Further, sometimes it might just be a matter of swatting a ball off the iron that was going to eventually come off the rim soon anyway.

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the rules we have now, but if they changed to the international side of things, I think I could learn to live with them.

Yea, maybe I'd have to just see it in action first to make a judgement but just the sound of it makes me go
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
Yea, maybe I'd have to just see it in action first to make a judgement but just the sound of it makes me go

but offensive interference in an NBA game makes a lot of people go wtf??

carlos boozer just got one tonite, but it seemed like he was just tipping it in, and seemed like he should've got that point. Idk it looks weird to me to see it live. Would've gone right past me if they hadn't called it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: