Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default My Joe Budden- No Love Lost review

Joey is my ace. Has been for a while and will continue to be if he keeps puttin out real shit like No Love Lost.

Check out my album review I did for the magazine over at the University of Maryland. I had to hold it down and expose some of these squares to the lyrical greatness. What did y'all think of Budden's album?

Remember, my editor limited me to 350 words so it's not too extensive.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````

Many do not correlate high-concept substance with the current state of rap/hip-hop. New Jersey rapper Joe Budden, of Shady Record’s group Slaughterhouse, bucks this notion with ferocious verbal precision and enriched honesty on his album, No Love Lost. Who says rappers can’t share intrinsic struggles with an audience accustomed to hype and hubris? Budden delivers in spades with a well-rounded entry, shifting in tone and tempo throughout.

Making no apologies, Joe explores the depths of inner struggles residing within. This contemplative album earnestly renders the intensity of a creative mind that dwelled in poverty, addiction, spiritual unrest and civic disarray in contemporary America. The artist weaves words poetically displaying hyper-realized awareness. Tracks Runaway and My Time are odes to this particular talent, serving as musical confessionals, cleansing for an analytical man poised to impart slanted wisdom after many self-imposed failures.

That’s not to say Budden doesn’t showcase the arrogance many rap fans enjoy, as shown on Last Day ,including bravado-personified rappers Juicy J and Lloyd Banks. Wiz Khalifa and French Montana collaborate on NBA, acronym for Never Broke Again. While college students can’t relate to this idea yet, this certified banger plays well on heavy-duty speakers. Allusions to professional athletes, combining double-entendres with real figures are a staple of Budden’s rhymes. Fellow head-nodder She Don’t Put It Down implements a smooth hook with a steady bass line and verse from Lil Wayne. The remix employs the skills of Fabolous and Twista. While not exactly wholesome, these are fun tracks.

Skeletons unites fellow Slaughterhouse members Joell Ortiz and Crooked I in an angst-ridden reflection sure to evoke reactions from psych majors. Remaining group member Royce Da 5’9” appears on All In My Head, another introverted expression of ambiguous sanity. Unsettling connotations of Budden’s subject matter are offset starkly, lamenting past relationships with women on You and I and sensitive sensibilities of interaction on Castles.

No Love Lost concludes with an outro of the same name, furthering convictions of a lyrical poet for the modern era. Street sense and literal elements co-exist in harmony on this group of recordings, dispelling common misperceptions of the genre.

Last edited by ROCSteady : 03-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: My Joe Budden- No Love Lost review

Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

all of his songs are about snorting pills and missing tahiry

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lol when i first read it im like UGHHHH not the old "he's not like other rappers always talkin bout money and drugs and hoez and sh!t"

but it was met with specific concrete examples of "civic disarray and spiritual unrest". Nice!

Another thing is I don't know much about journalism, but i know it's recommended to blend a mix of short sentences and long sentences. You can phrase briefly. Then, proceed to embellish off a phrase that may take a bit of pondering to philosophize and process. And cap it off. And so on and so forth.

Language is descriptive and on point. Adjectives are fukking ill man.

"While not exactly wholesome, these are fun tracks." Come on ROC! You can make those last 4 words into something far more potent and playful!

A major theme going through your review is that "he's not like other rappers." But your rebuttal with the "funt racks" is really long and close to the end lol. You know those guys who'll say something and then say "I mean I can understand why such and such".. and you shift gears and all of a sudden his argument is weaker by validating the contrarian standpoint... yeah that's kinda how I feel with the 3rd to last paragraph.

One thing I really like is your tone.
It's very professional and it matches the essence of "no love lost." It's descriptive, it's formal and it really proliferates a "say it as it is" apparoach.

I could imagine your tone switching up when listening to more cheerful songs like "A.D.I.D.A.S" or "Play no Games" into a warmer vibe.

Anywho others should chime in. This is quality stuff. It's a HELL OF a lot better than others I've read which are full of self-selling and staunch opinions.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Appreciate the feedback, thanks for your honest criticism

I had a 350 word limit so that's prolly why it may seem trite or if certain phrases aren't embellished too much. Plus I have to appeal to the large expansive student body at UMD, knowhatImsayin ?
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Done_And_Done
D & D

Done_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Joe's one of my up the sleeve aces as well and has been for a good while now. There are few artists who are willing to personalize their lyrics with such graphic and vivid detail. It seems from various reviews that I've read thus far, I gather that "No Love Lost" is a decent album that incurs demerits in the production column. However, I've never been one to stake my faith into the personal opinions of a journalist (with all due respect) as I'd rather allow my ear to cast the ultimate judgement...

With that said, reading your informative review has me feeling a whole lot more optimistic about this project than I did prior. As a fellow writer myself, I truly appreciated your ability to sustain my attention with such verbal eloquence. You're quite the wordsmith ROC - What are you majoring in brother?

With finally bring gifted with some much needed spare time, I plan on listening to this piece as I drop a mattress sized deuce. Yeah I said it... I do most of my musical downloading while I'm sitting on the sh1ter.
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Budden with his first album?
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #8
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

I'm an Joey stan but this album was aight at best.

5.5/10
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Done_And_Done
D & D

Done_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Budden with his first album?

No sir. It's actually his 5th LP release...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Remaining group member Royce Da 5’9” appears on All In My Head, another introverted expression of ambiguous sanity. Unsettling connotations of Budden’s subject matter are offset starkly, lamenting past relationships with women on You and I and sensitive sensibilities of interaction on Castles.

No Love Lost concludes with an outro of the same name, furthering convictions of a lyrical poet for the modern era. Street sense and literal elements co-exist in harmony on this group of recordings, dispelling common misperceptions of the genre.

this review is of a rap album correct?
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: