Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation
Default Going to be a dad, need ISH tips

Wife told me last week that we are pregnant, and i'm pretty excited. However, I was the youngest growing up and did not grow up around a lot of babies/younger kids. Any tips from ISH are greatly appreciated. Stuff as stupid as how some of you guys are able to squeeze in hoops watching, to more important stuff as to who you used for starting a college fund. Do you guys spank your kids (like my father did me), or have a lot of you found just as much success with non-violent tactics? Do's or Don'ts, tips and recommendations are all welcome.
shortsoptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Going to be a dad, need ISH tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsoptional
Wife told me last week that we are pregnant, and i'm pretty excited. However, I was the youngest growing up and did not grow up around a lot of babies/younger kids. Any tips from ISH are greatly appreciated. Stuff as stupid as how some of you guys are able to squeeze in hoops watching, to more important stuff as to who you used for starting a college fund. Do you guys spank your kids (like my father did me), or have a lot of you found just as much success with non-violent tactics? Do's or Don'ts, tips and recommendations are all welcome.
First tip, don't ask ISH how to raise your kid.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
HPye7
Can barely lace up my sneakers

HPye7 has an OK reputation so far

the whole point of parenting is to always do what you feel is best for your kid.
in a nutshell with 0 details ive had 2 parents who failed me, the best piece of advice i would give is to be present always, but never overbearing. every kid is different but just having someone there for them might be # 1 in my book
HPye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
HPye7
Can barely lace up my sneakers

HPye7 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
and this lol, just do what you think is best
HPye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Haha..just looking for tips or recommendations, not really what to do step by step. Had a great father and that's all i need to be successful at raising my child.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
sick_brah07
National High School Star

sick_brah07 has decent reputationsick_brah07 has decent reputation

buy a lot of XANAX and Valium FOR YOURSELF OFCOURSE NOT THE KID
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

d.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Don't let your kid find out about ISH.
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Expect a lot of trolling and boneheaded replies lol. But anyway, congrats. I'm not gonna hav a kid til I'm like 35
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
+20.

Also, they are learning how much babies are actually processing when we think they are doing nothing. They learn an astounding amount even as infants.
http://www.yale.edu/infantlab/Welcome.html

Read this book from the father of postiive psychology. He recommends a technique of when you want to criticise your child that you preceed by a number of postiive comments something like a ratio of 5 to 1.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=mQ4_UwcCojUC
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I'll give your wife my tip :)
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Put in a tiny bit of NyQuil in the babies milk when s/he doesn't sleep so you can get some rest.

But really, just be patient and adapt to the babies sleeping schedule. Whenever the baby is asleep and you are watching him/her, you should relax as well. Also have one of the grandparents or whoever you guys trust to watch the baby once or twice a week so you and your wifey can go out and have some alone time together.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
+20.

Also, they are learning how much babies are actually processing when we think they are doing nothing. They learn an astounding amount even as infants.
http://www.yale.edu/infantlab/Welcome.html

Read this book from the father of postiive psychology. He recommends a technique of when you want to criticise your child that you preceed by a number of postiive comments something like a ratio of 5 to 1.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=mQ4_UwcCojUC

Thank you...will read.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojBadSr2zI
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Don't be selfish and bring your kid into public places where your kid will cry and ruin other people's social experiences (bars, nice restaurants and especially movies).
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: