Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
melo4life
I airball my layups

melo4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Game Thread: Denver Nuggets @ Indiana Pacers

Quote:
Allen Iverson's injury may help teammate Carmelo Anthony get a spot on the Western Conference All-Star team, but it also means another setback for the slumping Denver Nuggets.

With Iverson possibly sitting out again, the Nuggets look to avoid a fourth straight loss when they visit the Indiana Pacers on Friday.

Denver (23-24) has dropped seven of its last eight, including a 114-112 overtime defeat to New Orleans on Wednesday. The loss dropped the Nuggets under .500 for the first time since they were 3-4 on Nov. 15.

Iverson, who had sat out the previous four games because of a sprained right ankle, returned and scored 22 points on 9-of-21 shooting, but re-aggravated the injury.

"I can't help us out there like this," he said. "I tried as hard as I can tonight, but it just wasn't me. I couldn't move the way I wanted to move and I couldn't get to the basket the way I normally do. I felt at times like I had to settle for jumpers because I couldn't get there all the way."

Iverson said he may miss the next few games and that he is considering skipping the All-Star game on Feb. 18.

"Rather than hurt my team, I am going to re-evaluate the situation. I can't play if I feel like this. This is more important than the All-Star game. This means more to me than the All-Star game. I have been there and done that in my career. If I have to (skip it), if that's the right thing for me to do, then that is exactly what I will do.

"That is something that I haven't thought about because I don't care about that right now. I care about this team right here."

If Iverson skips what would be his eighth All-Star game, it would leave room for Anthony to be named to the West squad. The NBA's leading scorer at 30.8 points per game, Anthony was not voted in as a starter or named a reserve.

Anthony did his best to help carry the Nuggets on Wednesday, contributing 27 points, nine rebounds, six assists and two blocked shots, but he threw up an airball with 2.9 seconds left in regulation and the game tied at 103.

The Hornets then took the lead 26 seconds into overtime and would never trail, with Desmond Mason hitting the game-winner on a putback as time expired.

The Nuggets are 8-12 since acquiring Iverson from Philadelphia at the end of December. He is averaging 26.8 points since his arrival.

Denver plays six of its next eight on the road, where it is 10-10 and has lost three straight.

The Nuggets, who have played without Marcus Camby the last two games because of a strained groin, have won five straight against Indiana (26-23). Two of those victories have come at Conseco Fieldhouse following nine consecutive losses in Indianapolis.

The Pacers have dropped their last two after winning six of seven. Indiana lost 103-102 to Seattle on Wednesday as Jamaal Tinsley, who led the team with 25 points, missed a drive to the hoop and desperation shot as time ran out.

"Tough loss," coach Rick Carlisle said. "We worked so hard to get the lead, then had a string of missed shots. ... The second-chance opportunities killed us. This is one we shouldn't have let get away."

The Pacers are also banged up. Leading scorer and rebounder Jermaine O'Neal missed Wednesday's game because of swelling from a bruise on his left knee.

The Nuggets beat the Pacers 121-101 on Dec. 2 as Anthony had 38 points to lead all scorers. O'Neal had 20 points and 16 rebounds in that contest, but is averaging just 12.0 points and 6.8 boards in 22 games against Denver.

This is going to be a tough battle for the Nuggets, hopefully Camby gets back because it's going to be hard to stop Jermaine O'neal.
melo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
melo4life
I airball my layups

melo4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Game Thread: Denver Nuggets @ Indiana Pacers

This might be my last post for a while
melo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
thesportsmaster8
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thesportsmaster8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Game Thread: Denver Nuggets @ Indiana Pacers

Why might this be your last post?

Anyway, I have to give it to the Nuggets for winning this. I wonder if circumstances would have been different for the Pacers (i.e. no Pacers go to a nightclub and get in a fight) would the Nuggets have faced off against a more focused Pacers team who would have been a bit more resilient?

I guess we won't know. All we do know is that the Nuggets are sitting at 24-24 with the All-Star break approaching. Hopefully we can go on a bit of a tear, win our next few games, and get some momentum.

Go Nuggets!
thesportsmaster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: